Published by Marvel, but "not really Marvel"? G.I. Joe, Transformers, Alf, Star Wars

marioxb

I never really thought about it before, but what determines a "Marvel character"? When Marvel published stuff like Star Wars, Alf, GI Joe and Transformers were Optimus Prime and Luke Skywalker considered Marvel characters? Does/ did Howard the Duck fall in this same category? Why or why not for all of the above questions? If I've never heard of, say Alf, before, how would I have known he's not friends with Spider-Man?

Last edited:
This is a great question..one to ponder on.

The Marvel universe is centered around NYC geographically. There are exceptions....but the other characters in such as Star Wars are not Marvel.

If the characters crossover strongly with other characters definitely marvel characters. (X-Men, Avengers etc.)
If they are very standalone but crossed over once they are in a megaverse/in two multiverses (https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-91274).
If they arent connected or advertised as in the Marvel universe they are completely seperate (Star Wars).

Well, are they all meant to be in the same Marvel Universe? I feel like even though all are published by Marvel it doesn't mean Luke Skywalker is blowing up the Death Star in a Galaxy Far Far Away from Spiderman swinging around New York City... Or maybe they are? That would be cool to see Yoda and Hulk meet

Well, are they all meant to be in the same Marvel Universe? I feel like even though all are published by Marvel it doesn't mean Luke Skywalker is blowing up the Death Star in a Galaxy Far Far Away from Spiderman swinging around New York City... Or maybe they are? That would be cool to see Yoda and Hulk meet
They aren't.

Latest posts

Back