Q&A with Robert Kirkman.

Hi-Fi

Robert answered some more questions I made for him. You guys should post there too, see if we can take more info from him 8) :

>>Will we see some Cyclops/Alex/Lorna interaction?

Some. Not much.

>>How about those field trips exercises that Xavier used to promote (like in the beginning of World Tour where the team was divided in teams of two). Maybe something like Xavier school Vs Frost school?

We'll see.

>>Now that you're going to be in book more than expected, will you ultimatize more 616 characters other than Lilandra? (Pyro, please!!!)

There's still a lot to be done with the characters we have. So no plans for new characters just yet.

>>And just a minor complaint: now that Peter is out of the closet, I guess it's normal for him to be a little sad and whinny with Kurt's reaction, but let's not forget that the character is an ex-member of the Red Mafya. He's not that soft.

Who said he was soft? He was upset over a friend being a complete jerk. He's far from soft. You'll see.

Sorry for the delay. I lost track of time.

-Robert

http://www.imagecomics.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=12950&sid=e9a7cd86735b878cc8cf98d62cc639d6

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Q&A Robert Kirkman

Nice goin' there, Hi-Fi!

I didn't hear about the UXM Annual also involving Bobby, but that's great! :D

Re: Q&A Robert Kirkman

Ice said:
Nice goin' there, Hi-Fi!

I didn't hear about the UXM Annual also involving Bobby, but that's great! :D

Maybe I mixed up some info them. I read in the letter pages of last issue that the Annual would focus on the whole Rogue/Gambit thing. I assumed Iceman was included. My mistake.:wink:

But hey, Kirkman didn't deny it.

Last edited:
Great questions - thanks for sharing. :D

I agree that there's nothing inconsistent about Colossus being a little depressed. He was crying when the X-Men found him working with the mafia after he was exposed as a mutant. It was something he had to do, not something he wanted.

And for the kid. Hmm, that would be just awesome. :D

Last edited:
Kirkman said:
He's far from soft. You'll see.
I wonder where this is going. I do see Collosus as having softened up a bit. I always saw Colossus and Wolverine as the toughest team around. One of my favorite Collosus moments was when the X-Men were braking out of Weapon X and Jean had to stop Colossus from bringing down the Weapon X facility on top of everyone. That's what a vengeful X-Man should do. Millar just knew how to write a good Colossus. Whatever Kirkman has planned, I doubt it's going to be as bad *** as what Millar did.

Personally I think it's going to be hard to portray him as tough guy while maintaining that he's gay. Especially, when his boyfriend is more or less a pacifist.

MaxwellSmart said:
Personally I think it's going to be hard to portray him as tough guy while maintaining that he's gay.

Virile and gay aren't antithesis, though you'll see fewer of those out in the open. IMO, that's because gay "tough guys" are ironically wimpier about coming out, perhaps because they feel they have more to lose in terms of how they'll be perceived. I mean, when a guy is effeminate, he is assumed to be gay anyway, so if he really is, he doesn't lose much by coming out, does he? Whereas if you are perceived as a tough man...

Maxwellsmart said:
Especially, when his boyfriend is more or less a pacifist

Hum. His boyfriend didn't hesitate much before deciding to participate on an assault on the Triskelion, did he? So I'm gonna say he's less a pacifist than more...

E.Vi.L. said:
Hum. His boyfriend didn't hesitate much before deciding to participate on an assault on the Triskelion, did he? So I'm gonna say he's less a pacifist than more...
Pacifist was probably the wrong word. I was mostly trying to say he would have a problem with his boyfriend acting like a rampaging killer.

MaxwellSmart said:
Pacifist was probably the wrong word. I was mostly trying to say he would have a problem with his boyfriend acting like a rampaging killer.

Oh. So you used the word pacifist to mean "Rampaging killer"? :? Then yeah, it was the wrong word.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
Oh. So you used the word pacifist to mean "Rampaging killer"? :? Then yeah, it was the wrong word.
I was referring to the idea that when you're in a relationship your partner's way of thinking influences how you act and respond to situations. I'm saying that since Northstar is a relatively nonviolent person he's less inclined to accept Peter as a very violent person and Peter is less inclined to act as violent.

What, so you mean Peter is the rampaging Killer?!

Come on. The only time he seriously lost his cool is the weapon X incident when he wanted to bury the guards. Considering the circumstances, I can understand. Then Jean-Paul was willing to assault the Triskelion to save a friend.

Overall, they both have exhibited pretty much the same level of agressivity under similar circumstances. I don't see how you can label one as a pacifist and the other as a rampaging killer. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
I saying I like Peter as the guy who goes for the kill if it's warranted. Peter and Logan make a great team in that respect. I see Jean-Paul as the kind of guy who would run before he would fight. In Magnetic North, I saw Northstar as really playing a support role. He pratically had to be dragged into the rescue anyway.

I'm tired of seeing Peter whine about his emotions. I understand the only reason he seemed as hard as nail was because he didn't share his emotions with anyone, so now that he is it comes out he's a softy at heart. I wish it didn't dominate his personality so much. Every guy can have an emotional side and a tough guy side. It seems like both sides aren't getting equal representation.

If I was going to summarize why I thought Colossus was bad *** in a fight, it is because he when he goes into a fight he's supremely confident he's going to kick everyones *** and always does. I know since he's exploring his emotions more he's "changing" as a man, but no one changes for the better and loses confidence. I just he would get through his personal identity crisis and returns to being a bad *** who just happens to enjoy gay s**.

MaxwellSmart said:
In Magnetic North, I saw Northstar as really playing a support role. He pratically had to be dragged into the rescue anyway.

I'm tired of seeing Peter whine about his emotions

I think you interpret Northstar as way too much of a pacifist and grossly overtsate Peter's whininess.

On the first count, you are simply wrong about Jean-Paul needing to be dragged into the rescue. Yep, not even a matter of opinion or perspective, just wrong.

Canonball needed convincing, he wanted to 'sit this one out' and Alex basically bullied him into coming. And Sunspot needed just a little nudge, but not much. He barely hesitated. Northstar on the other hand was with Alex from the start and argued in favor of the rescue ("The Ultimates are just humans with lamer outfits"). There isn't even a discussion of whether or not he wants to come, when Alex says they will break Lorna out of the Triskelion, J.P. had his friend's back and that's all there was to it. Notice how not only is he the strongest supporter of Alex in this mission, he is also the only one who actually reach the Triskelion with Alex. In fact, when Alex and Northstar where last men standing after their fight with the X-Men, Alex hesitated about pushing on because Canonball and Sunspot were down. J.P. said : "Lorna may be their classmate, but she's our friend." Then he grabs Alex and rushes him to the Triskelion. And when the Ultimates are in their way, he punches the lights out of quicksilver. The only moment he advocated talk over brawn was when he tried to talk Colossus down. I guess you can see why. When Alex blasted him away, he was a bit pissed, but still finished the mission.

No offense, but I think you might have let some preconception of how openly gay and slightly effeminate men (like J.P.) behaves cloud your perception of what really happened in Magnetic North. J.P. was as hardcore as Alex.

On the Colossus front, you are going too far when you say he his whiny, IMO. To be whiny, you have to whine. When Kitty asked him what was wrong, a whiny person would have poured his heart out, looked for sympathy and perhaps even cried. Colossu just told her to leave him alone.

To put it bluntly, 'leave me alone' is the "guy" way to deal with it. If his next move is to angrily confronts Kurt, then we'll have reached the stereotypical macho way to deal with hurt feelings. If a guy did the same over being rejected by a woman, few people would bat an eye.

Last edited:
MaxwellSmart said:
I'm tired of seeing Peter whine about his emotions. I understand the only reason he seemed as hard as nail was because he didn't share his emotions with anyone, so now that he is it comes out he's a softy at heart. I wish it didn't dominate his personality so much. Every guy can have an emotional side and a tough guy side. It seems like both sides aren't getting equal representation.

I think we've been given the 'touchy feely' emotional stuff now, so when he snaps; his tough guy is going to be a real skull cracker!!!

I see Pete lashing out pretty soon & no one will really be able to control him....especailly is Jean gets all wacked out on the Phoenix entity.

E.Vi.L. said:
On the first count, you are simply wrong about Jean-Paul needing to be dragged into the rescue. Yep, not even a matter of opinion or perspective, just wrong.

Canonball needed convincing, he wanted to 'sit this one out' and Alex basically bullied him into coming. And Sunspot needed just a little nudge, but not much. He barely hesitated. Northstar on the other hand was with Alex from the start and argued in favor of the rescue ("The Ultimates are just humans with lamer outfits"). There isn't even a discussion of whether or not he wants to come, when Alex says they will break Lorna out of the Triskelion, J.P. had his friend's back and that's all there was to it. Notice how not only is he the strongest supporter of Alex in this mission, he is also the only one who actually reach the Triskelion with Alex. In fact, when Alex and Northstar where last men standing after their fight with the X-Men, Alex hesitated about pushing on because Canonball and Sunspot were down. J.P. said : "Lorna may be their classmate, but she's our friend." Then he grabs Alex and rushes him to the Triskelion. And when the Ultimates are in their way, he punches the lights out of quicksilver. The only moment he advocated talk over brawn was when he tried to talk Colossus down. I guess you can see why. When Alex blasted him away, he was a bit pissed, but still finished the mission.

Starting off, I'd like to say "dragged" was the wrong word for the scenario,but you got the scene where they're arguing over the rescue a little wrong. Jean-Paul is the one with black hair and an orange shirt he says, "Alex, Nick Fury gave my dad a tour of that joint once. He says it's like Fort Knox on 'roids. I mean, the Ultimates protect it!" Alex's response is, "The Ultimates are just humans with lamer outfits... no offense to humans."

When they fight the X-Men he says, "Sorry, princess, but I can't let you people keep us from Lorna." After he knocks out Kitty. As opposed to Cannonball who attacks wolverine and says, "Folks call mu Cannonball. You got three guesses why." He's clearly a guy itching for a fight while Jean-Paul would clearly like to avoid one. He was definitely committed to the rescue, but had apprehesions about how it should be done.
On the Colossus front, you are going too far when you say he his whiny, IMO. To be whiny, you have to whine. When Kitty asked him what was wrong, a whiny person would have poured his heart out, looked for sympathy and perhaps even cried. Colossu just told her to leave him alone.
Again, whiny isn't the right word. I would say moping or sulking is a better word. I'd like to see him stop moping and want to kick some *** like in the Longshot arc.

Latest posts

Back