Rank these Marvel events...

Earth X
House of M
Annihilation
Civil War
Secret War (Bendis)
Secret Invasion

And I am also a person who is distinctly not a fan of Alex Ross... I think Earth X would be ranked much lower if he did the internal art.

Last edited:
I feel that Alex Ross's art is much more suited to DC Comics as their superheroes are often portrayed in a much more iconic, Godlike perspective, rather than the Marvel heroes, which are all semi-realistic, flawed characters.

Tog loses at life for logging Annihilation last on his list

and giving Secret Invasion the silver prize?!

ugh

Alex Ross's stuff only works for characters/projects with alot of nostalgic appeal "Marvels, Cap Covers, Avengers/Invaders, Human Torch, pretty much all his DC and independant stuff"

That being said his art is meh at best usually for me because it suffers from something alot of hyper-realistic artists suffer from, I call is AFS or Action Figure Syndrome where none of the characters look like they're moving, they're just in static poses.

TOG's goes from worst to best.

That being said his art is meh at best usually for me because it suffers from something alot of hyper-realistic artists suffer from, I call is AFS or Action Figure Syndrome where none of the characters look like they're moving, they're just in static poses.

Yes! I think that's my problem with it.

I've only read House of M
Secret Wars
Secret War (Bendis)
and Civil War

and I enjoyed them all equally. They were all pretty good, none of them excellent

Not so much events but i think the best re-inventions of stale characters - turning points that shook up the status quo and would be considered events if they happened back in the day when the most remarkable thing that happened was 'the death of gwen stacy', or spiderman kills Kraven...

1. Captain America - Winter Soldier & Death of Captain America
2. Daredevil - Underboss/Out (probably the prison stuff too but I haven't read that)
3. Iron man - Extremis & Director of Shield stuff (Knaufs)

Those 3 stories are all pretty original but still stay true to what the character is about. and I'm confident they're some of the only things people will look back and want to read 10 years down the line. Captain america is back to being out-of-touch with the present. Daredevil is really going against his moral ambiguities and is the man without fear. Extremis...just feels like a second origin arc, and when people are out to get the extremis virus and use it for evil, it hits all the warmonger dilemnas that make Iron man interesting.

But no question, death of captain america..that's big... and handled supremely well in his own comic book.

Dude.... You are so right, Gemini. I wrapped Annihilation. I loved the Drax mini. When it comes to the miniseries, they were hit and miss. Nova and Silver Surfer were pretty good, but Super Skrull and Ronan were pretty ****ing abysmal. And then the main series was just sublime, way better than any mainstream events Marvel has churned out. Giffen is simply brilliant. I don't normally like cosmic stuff, but that book was just great.

I just started in on the Conquest minis, but it looks like it might be even better and more polished than the first series, although that may just be because I'm more familiar with the characters now.

Thanks, Gem.

Last edited:
I love the main mini.

Just so many great moments...

Drax killing Thanos (one of my favorite splashpages ever)
Nova vs Annihilus
Galactus getting owned and his revenge
The stuff with the different heralds
and I love Super-Skrull

Annihilation

Secret Wars

Civil War

House of M

Infinity Gauntlet

Secret War (Bendis)

Secret Wars 2

Infinity War

Infinity Crusade

Earth X

And don't worry Zombie, I'm not the only one who can't stand Ross. Definitely, not a fan of Kreuger's writing either, the only thing he's done I've remotely enjoyed is Justice, and it has the dumbest ending, in a long time.

Dude.... You are so right, Gemini. I wrapped Annihilation. I loved the Drax mini. When it comes to the miniseries, they were hit and miss. Nova and Silver Surfer were pretty good, but Super Skrull and Ronan were pretty ****ing abysmal. And then the main series was just sublime, way better than any mainstream events Marvel has churned out. Giffen is simply brilliant. I don't normally like cosmic stuff, but that book was just great.

I just started in on the Conquest minis, but it looks like it might be even better and more polished than the first series, although that may just be because I'm more familiar with the characters now.

Thanks, Gem.

Damn rights. check out War of Kings too

Latest posts

Back