Rawhide Kid (MAX mini) discussion (spoilers)

E

Excelsior Club
So I picked this up at the Motor City con, having heard that it was somewhat controversial. For those who don't know, this is a revamp on an old 50's character. It's a wild west story with a twist, they done gone & made him gay.

Granted I'm only 4 issues in out of 6, but I'd hardly call it controversial. It's different and funny and reading the innuendo in this type of book is also funny and amusing. So far I like it.

Anyone else read it? Like I said I'm only half way done with it but I just wanted to know what people thought of it.

I'm particularly interested in what gay people thought of it; was it insulting? It doesn't seem like it, but then again I'm not gay so what do I know.

I'm not sure if my local comic shop even got any of the issues. Least, none that I saw. There isn't any of the MAX books out in display, either.

Ice said:
I'm not sure if my local comic shop even got any of the issues. Least, none that I saw. There isn't any of the MAX books out in display, either.

I'm pretty sure the TPB is out of print. I've never looked for the issues specifically, but I've never seen them in any of the stores I went to.

Ice said:

I think retailers aren't allowed to have MAX books on display - something to do with advertising for underaged readers or something.

ProjectX2 said:
I think retailers aren't allowed to have MAX books on display - something to do with advertising for underaged readers or something.
Yeah.

I know Midtown Comics, the one in Times Square, New York, has it in its own section on the second floor, with the doors (like the old saloon ones that swing back and forth, but its only from your feet, making about 2 feet or so) saying that its the adult section.

Anywhos, what is this mini about?

Last edited:
Ice said:
Anywhos, what is this mini about?

Rawhide Kid was a cowboy character from the 1950s who appeared sporadically through the 80s (I think). The MAX series was a reimagining of sorts, but as far as I know it could fit in with all the other Rawhide Kid stories.

The gimmick in the MAX series is that he's gay. It's basically just a western story except the cowboy is gay. Pretty funny.

Latest posts

Back