Recommend me some Books

John Grisham

I would consider A Time to Kill or The Firm Grisham's seminal work...though chances ar egood he hasn't written his best yet. Grisham's Time to Kill is like a modern To Kill a Mockingbird that addresses many of the same issues. Grisham's Firm is as good a law thriller as any I've read.

Stories I strongly recommend though are, "The Whisperer in Darkness", "Herbert West: Reanimator", "The Dunwich Horror", "The Haunter of the Dark", and "The Rats in the Walls". Also, definitely read "Supernatural Horror in Literature", a terrific essay on his craft and peers.

Herbert west: reanimator, dunnwich horror and haunter of the dark, can be found here. - http://www.tmoct.co.uk/lovecraftlibrary.html

I printed off the thing on the doorstop at work (sneaky me). Gonna read it this evening.

THanks for the recommends, all of them, and everyone who made them.

I would consider A Time to Kill or The Firm Grisham's seminal work...though chances ar egood he hasn't written his best yet. Grisham's Time to Kill is like a modern To Kill a Mockingbird that addresses many of the same issues. Grisham's Firm is as good a law thriller as any I've read.

That sounds pretty cool. Just as long as it's "to kill a mockingbird", and not "HOW to kill a mockingbird"

Last edited:
I stopped reading Grisham after the 20th century.

I'm not implying he's terrible or god awful by saying that, though.

I think I just got tired of "the mafia never forgets."

Is he still doing that?

He's expanded to sports stuff occasionally.

You don't have to read lots of Grisham to get the Grisham experience.

The two I suggested cover most of it...maybe those two and Bleachers.

Has anybody here read the short story called "The Willows" by Algernon Blackwood(who probably has the best English name of all time, let alone for a horror writer)?

I'm interested in it because H.P. Lovecraft called it the best supernatural horror story in English literature.

Has anybody here read the short story called "The Willows" by Algernon Blackwood(who probably has the best English name of all time, let alone for a horror writer)?

I'm interested in it because H.P. Lovecraft called it the best supernatural horror story in English literature.

I've read quite a bit of Blackwood, and, yes, "The Willows" is quite good and definitely had a big impact on Lovecraft. It's also readily available on the 'net (along with a good deal of Blackwood's other stuff) so I would say to read it for yourself rather than drop spoilers.

Lots of Blackwood here.

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone can recommend me some books, over the years i've read many different types of books. but I stay within these confines.

I started out way back when with the Dragon lance saga and as of 2005 I had read almost all of them them.
Jack Reacher series by Lee Child
SIGMA Force Novels by James Rollins
all of the Carol Berg books, The Bridge of D'Arnath is still my favorite
Mercy Thomson and Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs.

Tried reading the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn but gave up after the 1st book, no substance to anything.

I don't like to read Futurist alien stuff and Vamps as the main lead other than that, i'm game.
going to check The Dresden Files out next and maybe Skinwalker by Jane Yellowrock and see what up from their.

Wondering if anyone can recommend me some books, over the years i've read many different types of books. but I stay within these confines.

I started out way back when with the Dragon lance saga and as of 2005 I had read almost all of them them.
Jack Reacher series by Lee Child
SIGMA Force Novels by James Rollins
all of the Carol Berg books, The Bridge of D'Arnath is still my favorite
Mercy Thomson and Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs.

Tried reading the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn but gave up after the 1st book, no substance to anything.

I don't like to read Futurist alien stuff and Vamps as the main lead other than that, i'm game.
going to check The Dresden Files out next and maybe Skinwalker by Jane Yellowrock and see what up from their.

It sounds like you might enjoy Finnegan's Wake.

I just finished Stalking the Unicorn[/I] by the same author, but you really can read this by itself.

I also recently read one called Spellwright (the play on words is intentional), in which spells can literally be seen as languages and altered by "editing". The main character suffers from a form of dyslexia, and can do only the simplest of spell casting and editing, until he's caught up in the search for a demon loose in the school he's attending and he finds out he's meant for a world-changing destiny. Of course, whether it's a "save the world" or a "destroy the world" depends on the interpretation. Warning: the book opens with a torture session. It threw me for a while, but you might not mind it.

If you haven't read Suzanne Collins' Mockingjay, I can highly recommend those as well. They're geared for teens, but plenty of adults are reading them too. In the not-too-distant future, the Central Authority punishes the fourteen outlying districts that once rebelled by requiring each to send two teens each year to the Hunger Games, where they will battle each other to the death until only one survives. The survivor returns home in triumph and his/her district receives all kinds of rewards for the next year. Kantriss, the main character, volunteers to stand in for her younger sister when the girl is selected by lot to fight. These books are kind of a commentary on reality television, but that's not at all the point of the story. I've read the first two, and am still waiting on the third.

I've just finished two series in which the authors have done some interesting world-building.

One is the Stormlord series (first two books are The Last Stormlord and Stormlord Rising). The entire culture of the characters is based on the scarcity or abundance of water. People are paid in "water tokens", and water is measured in "day jars", the amount needed to sustain the average person for one day. The wealthy have water to waste, the very poor have to steal water from storage or other people. Every drop is recycled numerous times, because there is only one stormlord left. He brings clouds from the ocean to rain on various parts of the Four Lands.

There are also nomadic Reduners who want to return to a time of "Random Rain", when they were the only ones living in the desert and rain fell according to natural rhythms. The books contain some violence, some mild romance, and a unique culture. The installment is due out next summer.

The other story is a stand-alone novel called Clockwork Heart, set in a sort of steampunk world powered by a massive clock engine that fills most of a mountain. THe main character is an Icarus -- a courier who flies on metal wings and who is welcome among all the casts of the city. She makes a spectacular mid-air rescue of two Exalteds, scholarly members of the highest cast in the city, and becomes involved in a mystery of murder and espionage. The author has created a world where different birth-casts determine what people will do for a living -- unless they choose to live out-caste, often reject by all. Both the violence and the romance here are lightly done, and this is a pretty quick read. It's entirely possible the author will do a sequel.

I just finished reading the novelization of "White Chicks".

It was pretty good. The problems I had with uneven characterization and dangling plot threads from the movie were almost entirely resolved by the expanded scope of the novel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back