Ridley Scott's Prometheus

Yeah, I don't understand the criticism aimed at them running from the ship. It's a pretty stupid criticism. People act illogically in real life all the time. Them doing the same in a film is not necessarily a flaw.

That said, I didn't really like the film. While it looks stunning and the first half of the movie is decent, towards the end it starts to fall apart. A lot of the characters motivations aren't really explained, and the film never really attempts to answer the questions it brings up. While the door is left open for a sequel, and presumably some of the unanswered questions may be explained in that, leaving everything for a follow up movie seems like a cop-out.

DARKKNIGHT said:
Yeah, I don't understand the criticism aimed at them running from the ship. It's a pretty stupid criticism. People act illogically in real life all the time. Them doing the same in a film is not necessarily a flaw.

That said, I didn't really like the film. While it looks stunning and the first half of the movie is decent, towards the end it starts to fall apart. A lot of the characters motivations aren't really explained, and the film never really attempts to answer the questions it brings up. While the door is left open for a sequel, and presumably some of the unanswered questions may be explained in that, leaving everything for a follow up movie seems like a cop-out.

I mostly agree with your criticisms. I think there was too much idea, and not enough execution, or they decided while working, to break up the main story in a serial format. Which is amazingly foolish, as you can't guarantee a second, third, etc movie.

I really enjoyed the movie for the most part, most of the "this character is irrational/out of character!" criticisms are either silly, or flat out stupid. Humans are irrational creatures, and become more so in times of crisis.

Last edited:
Then he's the one who needs to speak in english. I was quite clear in my disgust in the people who feel they have some kind of entitlement where they don't have to pay for entertainment, yet ***** that it wasn't what they wanted.

Or you can chill out and discuss things like a rational human being. And not one who really seems like she is accusing people of pirating media just of of the blue and with no intimation that was the case. I have no idea where that even came from.

Or you can chill out and discuss things like a rational human being. And not one who really seems like she is accusing people of pirating media just of of the blue and with no intimation that was the case. I have no idea where that even came from.

Yeah, the implication that the people complaining about the movie must have watched it illegally was bizarre and came out of nowhere. I paid $18 to see it and completely agree with DARKKNIGHT. It's an interesting but very flawed movie and features some of the dumbest characters (and they're supposed to be scientists!) I've ever seen. I'm underwhelmed and disappointed.

I'm expecting a director's cut/extended edition will be released later that will hopefully feel more "complete."

This film was utterly terrible in every way.

Dan O'Bannon wrote ALIEN. Not Ridley Scott. Dan O'Bannon invented Ripley, the Nostromos, the Weyland-Yultani corporation, and the xenomorph's biology. HR Giger designed the appearance of those things. Not Ridley Scott. Ridley Scott shot the film beautifully, but he didn't create anything in it, certainly, he didn't create the themes or the meaning.

Dan O'Bannon died in 2009.

And the title of this thread is "Ridley Scott's Prometheus."

The worst thing about this film that people are missing is that it's an attempt by Scott to create a mythology about himself as an important sci-fi auteur.

Well, PROMETHEUS is the result of such ambition; a total creative failure.

One could claim it was intentional, had he called it ICARUS.

Last edited:
I still have not seen the movie. I've spoiled everything about it and I'm still over excited to see it. I turned down all offers because I want/have to see it in IMAX 3D. Finally have plans for tomorrow night. Everyone that I know that hasn't seen it says they won't because they heard it was bad but EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO HAS SEEN IT said it was incredible even with it's flaws. I'm sure I'll bring a handful of disappointment with me into the movie but I still am very much looking forward to this.

Got to say I really liked it. And walking into it knowing pretty much everything and looking for the flaws kind of made me realize they weren't flaws in the first place. I think a lot of people saying that the characters were acting clumsily or not cautious enough and I think they missed the point.
Taking off his helmut to breathe the air when all signs point to it's ok didn't bother me at all especially since it was characterizing Holloway as a risk taker in the first place. People had a problem with Shaw performing the surgery like she even had to do anything but lay back. And besides she was a pretty intelligent person.
Really would love to know what David said to the Engineer because considering his motivations the whole time I don't think it was what Shaw or Weyland was telling him.

While I have a man crush on Fassbender like everyone else and he was the best of the cast I also really liked everyone else on this. And Charlize Theron is hot. I never thought she was before.

I think the best parts to me was the fact that this movie was definitely a prequel and actually showed the evolution of Xenomorphs and facehuggers. It kind of really rings in the "They're perfect biological weapons" thing we always hear. Biggest disappointment was that the space jockey wasn't
in the chair when it happened though
. But I kind of feel like I know how that happened as well.

Latest posts

Back