Robert Kirkman discusses 9-issue Ultimate X-Men run with Newsarama

I'm clinging to the irrelevant here, but I just got to wondering how the Kirkman issues will be collected in TPB form ('cause that's kinda my thing here now, ya know...). They can't be collected all into one book 'cause nine issues is kinda too much (aren't the biggest Ultimate TPB's 8 issues?) but also if they do it in two books it'll be 6+3 issues and I think 3 issues is a bit too few for a book (I don't think there's a TPB with less than 4 issues). Also wouldn't make sense to bundle the last Kirkman arc together with the first Singer arc (or whoever comes after Kirkman). As I said, I know this doesn't really matter at this point (if at any point) but just wondered about it for lack of anything better to do. Thoughts?

If a TPB can cotain 10 issues (The Sentry mini and 'tie-ins', 2000 by Paul Jenkins. Buy now if you haven't. Its worth it), than they can certainly put in 9 issues. :)

I've been trying to run it through my mind how the HCs are going to work. The first three TPBs of Vaughan's runn will be HC 5, while I'm assuming TPB 12 and 13 will more than likely be HC 6. Maybe they're going to have each of Kirkman's arc be one TPB? And then his run'll be one HC? *shrugs*

Lynx said:
I've been trying to run it through my mind how the HCs are going to work. The first three TPBs of Vaughan's runn will be HC 5, while I'm assuming TPB 12 and 13 will more than likely be HC 6. Maybe they're going to have each of Kirkman's arc be one TPB? And then his run'll be one HC? *shrugs*
That's probably the way they're doing it. They can always add character sketches and cover galleries to add more pages.

Ultimate Houde said:
I liked the Chuck Austen take on Gambit, and it should have stuck in my opinion. The Cry Wolf version annoyed me to no end.

I agree expect the Cry Wolf Gambit wasn't that bad. I liked what Kirkman said about the title. It sounds like he do good.

vintsukka said:
I'm clinging to the irrelevant here, but I just got to wondering how the Kirkman issues will be collected in TPB form
My guess is that it will be released something like this:

Vol. 14 - Ultimate X-Men/UFF crossover + "Date Night" (Kirkman's first 3-part arc)
Vol. 15 - last 6 issues of Kirkman's run (2 arcs?)

You know what kills me? McNiven's art getting pushed back while we suffer through Tom Raney on Ultimate Secret. That's just wrong.

compound said:
My guess is that it will be released something like this:

Vol. 14 - Ultimate X-Men/UFF crossover + "Date Night" (Kirkman's first 3-part arc)
Vol. 15 - last 6 issues of Kirkman's run (2 arcs?)
Good thinking. That makes more complete sense.

But the FF/X-Men crossover is two issues, each named differently. So what happens there?

Pretty much everything Kirkman said in that interview is something I agree with. Marvel actually has me excited about Ultimate X-Men!

TheManWithoutFear said:
What's that supposed to mean? You weren't excited about UXM before this? Is that what you're saying? Not a Vaughan fan, eh?
Well, he can't write Swamp Thing to save his life.... :wink:

TheManWithoutFear said:
What's that supposed to mean? You weren't excited about UXM before this? Is that what you're saying? Not a Vaughan fan, eh?
Maybe he meant that Marvel had him excited about who was replacing Vaughan.

Maybe he meant that Marvel had him excited about who was replacing Vaughan.

Yup yup. I've been pretty curious how as to how Marvel would pull off the gap between Vaughan and Singer's pre-ordained run while keeping things exciting.

Man, Kirkman has me psyched for his run!! It's gonna be wicked!

I'm glad that he's noticed the differences between 616 Wolvie and Ultimate Wolvie. Everyone else seems to just write the exact same Wolverine in both universes (except Millar, of course) and I can't wait to read "Date Night"!!!
I wonder if Kitty will bring Spidey/Peter on the date?

Nas-T!
"..."

So breaking down the issue with the artists, it'll go like this:

January: #66 "Date Night" Part 1- Tom Raney

February: #67 "Date Night" Part 2- Tom Raney

March: #68 "Date Night" Part 3- Tom Raney

April: #69- Steve Dillon

May: #70/#71- Steve Dillon

June: #72- Tom Raney

*#73- Tom Raney

*#74- Tom Raney

*Issues might be released bi-monthly, if Marvel still has Singer scheduled for a Summer 06 release.

EDIT:
Also, April can be 69/70, with 71 in June. Again, this is all just spec. if Singer still starts in the summer. Because if he doesnt, than he wont be starting til October, which I doubt, but is a possibility if gets pushed, yet again.

Last edited:
I thought Kirkman was doing 9 issues?

Yeah, he sure is. Ice has all nine of them included in his speculation timeline! :)

Yeah, what's the deal with Singer? Can't we just get his run over and done with?

Latest posts

Back