Rogues Galleries that need to be revamped

I will never understand the poor handling of Apocalypse. Here we have Magneto, who seems to be really easy to get right and then we move to the other great X-men villain. . .and he's ****ted on. I mean. . .what the hell.
I thinkt hat apocalypse should be less a "UBER-magneto" but more a upgraded version of Vandal Savage

Apocalypse is one my favorite villains.

The only place I seen him handled right was the X-men Evolution cartoon.

I like Apocalypse too , I love him on Evolution and on the 90's cartoon. Even though I'm not a big X-men comic fan the ones i've read with Apocalypse are just cool as ****

Fantastic Four, no question.
To what extent do you think they need revamping?

I mean, I can see why, but as a whole, I don't think they really have any problems other than little creaky signs of age.

Apocalypse is one my favorite villains.

The only place I seen him handled right was the X-men Evolution cartoon.

I wouldn't say that's the only way to handle him right but that was definitely a terrific version of him, especially how they had him in the Egyptian robes before he powered up.

The only thing I didn't like was that he'd been entombed for all those millenia, rather than actually seeing the world change.

I mean, I can see why, but as a whole, I don't think they really have any problems other than little creaky signs of age.

well alot of their villains have been turned into good guys (Namor, Ronan, Kl'rt), or have progressed as character's to the point that they can't really be considered evil (Galactus, Firelord, the other Heralds), or have become villains for different characters (Annihilus), or a few of them are dead (Thanos), and some are walking jokes (moleman, magician)

Bah.

I love Doom.

But for some reason I hate all Doom worship.

But that's because I think he's an overgrown baby.

And I love him for it.

Yeah but Doom is one the most famous global level threat in the 616 comics. Plus he was featured badly in the two bad fantastic four films , their cartoons and more. Which means he's like their mum-ra

Last edited:

Some of the B-listers could use some devlopment though, i never really understood how the Frightful Four was a threat to the FF.

Also guys like Mad Thinker and Diablo seem like they should be more dangerous than they have been presented.

Y'know, the biggest problem with supervillains as a whole. They never win, we as readers, and even to a point the heroes, know that they're not really a threat. I mean, some of the best stories are when the heroes lose (ie: Death in the Family, Arkham Asylum, Mutant Massacre, early Venom stories). Then the tension gets ratcheted up, the reader can seriously question the hero's safety, etc.

Sadly, most of your modern villains come across as nothing more than pissy queens.

Y'know, the biggest problem with supervillains as a whole. They never win, we as readers, and even to a point the heroes, know that they're not really a threat. I mean, some of the best stories are when the heroes lose (ie: Death in the Family, Arkham Asylum, Mutant Massacre, early Venom stories). Then the tension gets ratcheted up, the reader can seriously question the hero's safety, etc.

Sadly, most of your modern villains come across as nothing more than pissy queens.

There is more than one way for a villain to win. If Shocker sets up a villain team that manages to pull off a bunch sucessful robberies and outfox some of the heroes, that would be a victory of sorts.

Last edited:

one did resonantly , Didn't a villain win because he was responsible for captain america's death , that's huge IMO

one did resonantly , Didn't a villain win because he was responsible for captain america's death , that's huge IMO

But that's the exception, not the rule. Secondly, when written by people like Brubaker, Cap's villains are more menacing than not. Remember, Cap's traditional villains have been Nazis, how can you call them anything but successful villains.

There is more than one way for a villain to win. if Shocker sets up a villain team that amanges to pull off a bunch sucessful robberies and outfox some of the heroes, that would be a victory of sorts.

Totally agree with you, by successful I don't mean taking over the world, I just mean doing something well, other than being a hero's punching bag.

Examples of great villain runs (off the top of my head)

Villains United
Flash's (Bart) Death
Ra's Al-Guhl
Black Adam
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
Claremont's 80's Magneto
Inferno
Morrison's Cassandra Nova
Byrne/Claremont's Hellfire Club
Early Venom stories

I'll think ofmore as the day goes on, I'm sure

Last edited:
But that's the exception, not the rule. Secondly, when written by people like Brubaker, Cap's villains are more menacing than not. Remember, Cap's traditional villains have been Nazis, how can you call them anything but successful villains.

Good point.

Totally agree with you, by successful I don't mean taking over the world, I just mean doing something well, other than being a hero's punching bag.

Villains United
Flash's (Bart) Death
Ra's Al-Guhl
Black Adam
Claremont's 80's Magneto
Inferno
Early Venom stories

Shocker orgaizing a bunch of C-list villains (Boomerang, Speed Demon, etc) pulling off robbery, while outfoxing spider-man with superior team work and timing, seems like a simple thing some villains could do to score a win. You don't often see villains pull off a sucessful robbery nowadays.

What about Iron Man's rogues gallery, they don't seem to get much use nowadays.

Last edited:
Shocker orgaizing a bunch of C-list villains (Boomerang, Speed Demon, etc) pulling off robbery, while outfoxing spider-man with superior teram work and timing seems like a simple thing some villains could do to score a win,. You don't often see villains pull off a sucessful robbery nowadays.

Exactly, on all counts.

Shocker orgaizing a bunch of C-list villains (Boomerang, Speed Demon, etc) pulling off robbery, while outfoxing spider-man with superior teram work and timing seems like a simple thing some villains could do to score a win,. You don't often see villains pull off a sucessful robbery nowadays.

Iron Man has become everyone's rogue gallery

Villains United
Flash's (Bart) Death
Ra's Al-Guhl
Black Adam
Claremont's 80's Magneto
Inferno
Early Venom stories

Don't forget Batman: The Long Halloween.

Latest posts

Back