Rom-Coms

Okay, I see what you mean. But it's not a love story. The protagonist, Marty, doesn't want love. He wants to live and get back home. It's an action adventure, not a love story because the main character doesn't want a romantic relationship. The conflict in the film isn't him trying to get a relationship, but to stay alive and return home.

That's really only why it's a love story with a twist. I disagree that the protagonist actually being in love makes or breaks the deal. He still plays an instrumental role in it. The fact that the actual love-bit, as opposed to the marriage-bit which he's trying to accomplish, is visibly building throughout the whole film but not "revealed" until the end(the next morning), is why I like the story so much.

[youtube]-NMph943tsw[/youtube]

Ha-HA!:rockon:

Well lets see it this way, what's the final shot of Back to the Future? Doc, Marty, and Jennifer going on another adventure. So I'd say action adventure.

This is why I think that method is better used as a general rule to consider than an airtight barometer. Monty Python and the Holy Grail isn't about police officers.

Let's look at this way too: what's the greatest climactic action the protagonist takes? Driving the delorian into a lightning bolt. Action, baby.

I think the movie is a rarity in that regard, because it basically has two equal climaxes - the "weather experiment" and the "Earth Angel" scene. Personally, when I think about the movie, the one I think of first and hardest is the Earth Angel one, which is the most important part of the film for me.

Basically I think the answer to this question is that BTTF is very much both a sci-fi movie and a romantic comedy. Which one is more of a subplot is up to you. For me, it seems like the sci-fi action is more of a backdrop

Oh, and I've definitely seen Gale and Zemeckis say on the DVD how it surprises them when people think of it as an action movie, partly because there are something like 20 VFX shots in the whole film.

Latest posts

Back