Rome (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Who watches it? Another awesome show. What a great time for television eh?

Anyway I'm never good with HBO names the casts are always so large but it deals with Rome... The rise of Caesar at least the earliest episodes do. And focuses on these two other soldiers. One's a family man dedicated to Rome and the other is a wild crazy SOB who is just too much fun. Anyway, great HBO as always.

Yeah, pretty good show so far. Have they announced how many episodes this was going to be?

My only complaint with the show is that they have called certain groups British, Spaniards, Germans and I think even Italians, when those people as a nationality/country don't exist yet. I don't know if they do it so that the average person will know where the people they are talking about are from. Other than that, GREAT SHOW!!!

Who saw the latest? The party at Lucius' was intense with the wife and the kid at the table... just craziness.

Titus is an awesome character. Just amuses the hell out of me and is totally entertaining. When he saved Lucius by just coming at the right time it was just brilliant and for no reason at all I couldn't stop with the smile because it's just like him to show up. And then at the end when he showed up... Yeaaaah. I feel for Lucius' wife cos she's screwed and hott.

Marc Antony isn't how I'd like to see him or viewed him in my earlier teachings of Ancient Rome but such is the world.

Octavius isn't doing much but as history plays out he should be the the successor and I'm pretty interested in his character as well. Big fan of Master and Commander so I know the kid can act.

Glad to see both soldier's moving up in the world. And am most interested in the main plot of those two.

No boobies this episode but it was damn good as always.

Yeah it was a pretty good episode. From the looks of next weeks previews, Octavius' mom is going to try to use that rumuor of Octavius and Ceasar in the closet to her advantage.

Honestly what a great night of Television I had.

Rome was awesome this weekend too.

So happy Lucius is a soldier again. As hott as his wife is I think she's a ***** and wants to continue the affair but thanks to my man Titus and Octavius that ain't happening. :)

Titus' bit with the girl was great. "Then what do you do with her" "I dunno, I just like looking at her." Good stuff

Max Pirkis... great child actor, the best.

When those guys finished up the art work me and my cousin were laughing so hard not at the perverted drawings but just how screwed Caeser was.

Marc Anthony was a jerk... I hope his character turns into a more noble guy throughout. Actually it's hard to imagine Rome thriving like it did with these backstabbing, jackass' in charge.

One of my big questions is how is Brutus gonna turn into one of Caeser's greatest friends? This is definitely going to progress through the series.

Great episode, great series

5/5

Someone update me with the previews.

Sunday's Episode was pretty good.

The first half hour was kinda slow but held a lot of relevant things. Like Octavia going Servilia and how you sorta of get the hint that Octavia hates her mother and is looking for a proper "mother-figure" (but we'll get to that...Giggity-Giggity)

Niobe's sister coming back to her. Not really so believable since it was just last episode that she cursed her. But better to tie up that feud than drag it out. I'm sure no one was interested.

The war scene was probably the worst I've ever seen. The pre-war talk was boring because we knew who was going to come out on top...

So the good stuff...

Titus and Lucius being stranded and the deadbody raft was cool. Even better when they were saved by Pompey and saved and spared his life. When Lucius stabbed the guardian in the neck... just cool. I love how moral Lucius comes off as.

Caeser coming off as very forgiving to Brutus and Cato was really really cool, I think.

Titus and Lucius being ripped by Caeser and then Caeser telling Marc Anthony they're favored by the gods was just the highlight of the entire episode...

...ok that was the second highlight. I kept thinking Octavia was sort of hott and not really hott but this episode I mean come on she's on fire. She's working Servilia... I know she's old but yeah....

Pompey's death, I didn't really understand but still pretty cool. Love the backstabbing that went on back in the day. And if Julias Caeser is a major character you know backstabbing is a running theme.

5/5

10/16

Cleopatra.

Good episode dealing with Rome's relations with Egypt.

Best part was the whole Titus with Cleopatra and the baby at the end. :lol:

The love scene collage was sort of drawn out... I didn't really needed but Titus ****in' Cleo was hilarious.

Marc Anthony's talk with Cicero gave him some favorable light in my opinion. He's still a jerk but whatever.

Caeser should be biting the dust soon

5/5

10/30

Great Episode.

The beginning kicked off strong with the rebels killing themselves.

The dinner scene had more sexual tension then probably anything I've ever seen.

Atia is a ***** and a sneak.

Octavius ****ed his sister. Octavia wanted to get information out of him about Caser's affliction for Servilia and seduced him. OCtavius called her out on it after words for pillowtalk and she was embarassed and regretted it.

Lucius was threatened by thugs but when they came to kill him Caeser showed up first and then turned Lucius into council.

Titus was concerned about Lucius compromising his political beliefs. He always kept his eye on Niobe.

Niobe looked hott, so did Titus' slave.

Sevilia gets disgraced at the end by Atia's men in disguise.

No Marc Anthony was disappointing.

overall 5/5. Sorry if you don't have HBO. You're missing out.

11/6

Not great. Still decent though.

Kind've slow. Loved the Brutus parts which seem to get better next episode with the whole conspiracy against Caeser and Servillia being behind it all? that's kind of a new twist on Caeser's assasination eh?

Caeser is now Emporer of Rome and The Senate overall doesn't seem to happy about it.

And Poor poor Titus :cry:

only 2 more episodes left and they're gonna be packed with the good stuff.

3.5/5

Last edited:
Please please let someone share in this with me?

I can't be the only one who watches this show!!

The best hour of television ever!!

Pullo's a hitman now working for Vorenus' enemies who in turn work behind the scenes for Caeser assasinating all that oppose him. He's very sloppy about the way he kills and is thrown in jail for murder where he's condemned to death in the arena.

Lucius and his wife go to Octavia's house for dinner as guests of Caeser and Octavius wants to save Pullo. Caeser will not let him and Pullo seems destined to die

The scene with Octavia and Marc Anthony was wonderful. I know I might sound a little weird but the whole playfullness of him trying to seduce her and her slapping him was just fun to me.

The scene with Brutus and Caeser was beautifully done. Caeser getting anxious about the depictions on the cities walls and Brutus trying to defend himself. It's great because their fates are clearly in the hands of Servilia when she started all of this trouble. Caeser has no choice to worry about Brutus and Brutus can't help it even if he had no intentions to kill Caeser... now it's a different story.

THE ARENA!!!

Titus Pullo kicking the **** out of what? 7 Gladiators? Finally he's exhausted and the big man comes to finish him off when Lucius who can't bear the guilt anymore jumps in screaming "13" chops off the mans leg. The most violent scene I have ever seen on television! Awesome! Not for the explicit use of violence but for the brotherhood of Pullo and Vorenus.

It ended with Brutus agreeing that it's time for Caeser to go. Something that we know was coming but was done so well it still amazed us.

10/5

Next week.... Caeser's assasination and the season finale :(

Season Finale. :cry: :cry:

Great conclusion to a great season.

Pullo and Vorenus are celebrities because of their stunt in the arena. Pullo drags his badly injured body from the country to Rome to Vorenus' home. Pullo tries to make amends for killing Eirene's lover. She almost kills him but doesn't have the heart to/Niobe stops her. Vorenus is scared Caeser is gonna have him executed for intervening in an execution... instead Caeser promotes him to senetar. Caeser is worried about any betrayers and now Brutus and Company plot to kill Caeser. Brutus wants it to be honorable and they're worried about Vorenus because he's the toughest man in Rome and they can't lay a finger on him. But Servilia has heard Vorenus' name before...

Servilia calls for Octavia to come meet her. Octavia accepts and brings Octavius Augustus with her.

Pullo and Eirene go to the country where Pullo is going to ask the gods for forgiveness of all of his sins.

Caeser's on his way to the Senate with Vorenus and Marc Anthony. A woman calls to Vorenus and distracts him telling him about Niobe's affair... Vorenus storms off. Caeser continues without him and someone grabs Marc Anthony's attention. Caeser enters the Senate alone. It takes little time before the group of betrayers assault him...Brutus never attacks, stands in fear and drops his knife.

Vorenus storms through Rome's streets smashing pots along the way. He comes home and begins to break things and knock everything over. His wife asks what's wrong and Vorenus asks, "where is he?" Niobe confused asks who... and Vorenus says, "Your son" (Busted)... Vorenus interrogates her and he grabs a knife a confused/angry/panicked look on his face. Niobe jumps over her balcony.

Caeser is covered in blood and dying. They hand a knife to Brutus and tell him he must finish it. Brutus stands over Caeser crying and stabs him. Caeser tries to muster up enough strength to cover himself... and dies. Brutus falls as if he's sick and pushes the others away. Marc Anthony steps in and looks at the room with a stern face. He looks at Brutus who is in agony of his actions and Anthony leaves. Brutus screams out.

Servilia tells Octavia and Augustus that Caeser is dead and plans to make their lives a living hell and she wants to see them run. Augustus looks like he's not going to take **** (great acting by Max Pirkis). They exit Servilia's home.

Vorenus is in his courtyard holding his dead wife crying. The young child, who was the outcome of Niobe's affair walks in and stares at them.

Pullo is sprinkling a statue with spices in the countryside. He gets up and takes Eirene's hand. They walk off together into the sunset.

First off the cast is excellent. All of them but Pirkis, stole the show most of the season and Tobias Menzies (Brutus) broke out in these final episodes. Brutus was amazingly portrayed.

I also liked how there was no "Beware the Ides of March" and "Et tu Brutus". It made it seem realistic and the dramatization of the actors emotions was enough to carry these historic scenes. I'm sorry this show's on HBO and some of you can't see it because it's truly amazing.

5/5 for the finale
5/5 for the entire season

Definitely HBO's greatest.

So I've just stared watching this. I have the all the current episodes of season 2 saved on the DVR.....and I have only 2 episodes left to go on Season 1.

It really is awesome. I don't think HBO can make a bad show.

I totally scrolled past eveything above so I have no clue as to what happens next....but once I finish season 1 and get into Season 2 I'll be posting in this thread more.

Titus Pullo is amazing. That's the kinda guy I want having my back.

Really a great show. Once you get past remembering the names........

Ok...so I just finished Season 1 last night....

Damn....I wish I was able to watch this when it first aired MWoF. I'd totally be right there with you posting on this.

Are you watching the new season?

I also liked how there was no "Beware the Ides of March" and "Et tu Brutus". It made it seem realistic and the dramatization of the actors emotions was enough to carry these historic scenes.

Yeah....although Caesar's wife told him about her dreams again, I was waiting for those historic lines and got nothing. At first it struck me as odd---but then I went back and watched the scenes again and thought about how appropriate it was for them to omit them. It really did ground the show in a more realistic realm.

"YOU ****ED YOUR SISTER!" :lol: That had to be the most memorable line from the season. I also found it completely character appropriate for Octavius to call his sister out after the sex. He knew she wanted something and he went along with it anyways. Little ****er....

I don't think there has been a better scene on TV in the past few years than when Pullo defended the honor of the "13th" and then Vorenus coming to his brother-in-arms' aid. It was just awe inspiring.

Although I'm not familiar with it's chronological history----it seemed as if the Caesar death was rushed. Was he assassinated that quickly when he took power? I thought for sure that they'd drag his rule out until the end of Season 2 or Season 3 at the latest.

5/5 for the season. Seriously one of HBO's best!

This weekend I'll catch up on the 4 episodes of Season 2 and then catch episode#5 on Sunday.

I'm surprised I missed this thread. My dad and I watched the enitre first season on disc over the summer.

One the best shows ever. Pullo and Voreneus have to be the greatest buddy team-up on any show from the last 5 years.

The best actor, though, was easily Ciran Hinds as Caesar. I'm going to miss him during Season II.

VVD said:
Yeah....although Caesar's wife told him about her dreams again, I was waiting for those historic lines and got nothing. At first it struck me as odd---but then I went back and watched the scenes again and thought about how appropriate it was for them to omit them. It really did ground the show in a more realistic realm.

I loved that they did it that way. I did some reading after I saw it and it turns out they did that scene as historically accurate as possible. There's records of the part where he grabs the knife with his bare hand and appearently he even said "just what are you playing at?!".

And speaking of Calpurnia's dream, that gave me chills. The birds subtly forming the shape of a skull could not have been directed better.

I loved that they did it that way. I did some reading after I saw it and it turns out they did that scene as historically accurate as possible. There's records of the part where he grabs the knife with his bare hand and appearently he even said "just what are you playing at?!".

And speaking of Calpurnia's dream, that gave me chills. The birds subtly forming the shape of a skull could not have been directed better.

Ciran Hinds was perfect as Caesar.

And I'm glad they filmed the way they did. It added just that much more class and separated from every other standard presentation that's been given.

ROME series discussion

I just bought the first season of ROME and it was ****ing amazing.

Seriously, there is SO much in the first season. It goes from a trepidatious, yet balanced Rome, into a civil war, into a tyranny, into a revolution - in only 12 episodes. Not only that, but the characters change enormously too - from enemies to best of friends to pariahs to brothers.

I think I'm going to watch them again.

Re: ROME series discussion

I rented and watched the first three or four and it is super good so far.

The titles sequence is entirely too long, though.

Latest posts

Back