Saga by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples (SPOILERS)

I'm in the middle of Y. I love that book so much. I can't decide if I like it better than Saga but maybe it's because I can read them faster than having to wait a month for each Saga. I know I'm going to get a bunch of hate for saying this but, I wasn't wild about Ex Machina. I've just started reading Runaways and I'm liking that a lot.

It's so weird that people on this site still haven't read Y the Last Man or Ex Machina. Where have you been and what have you been reading instead?
I was reading Hustler. HA!. No seriously I was out of the comic reading for quite some time. So I'm new to a lot of stuff. Saga has really expanded my reading out side of your basic DC and Marvel titles.

I'm in the middle of Y. I love that book so much. I can't decide if I like it better than Saga but maybe it's because I can read them faster than having to wait a month for each Saga. I know I'm going to get a bunch of hate for saying this but, I wasn't wild about Ex Machina. I've just started reading Runaways and I'm liking that a lot.

Ex Machina certainly has a different feel and approach, but I enjoyed it. Fantastic artwork, a really cool and original idea for a comic (mashing up West Wing style political drama with superhero/villain), and while not as great as Y and Saga, still a great book. I'm going to have to re-read Ex Machina soon, maybe after I finish catching up on Wasteland and the Judge Dredd Complete Case Files trades (only about 1/4 way through those).

I agree with what you said about Ex Machina, it just moved to slow for me that's all.

I know I'm going to get a bunch of hate for saying this but, I wasn't wild about Ex Machina.

I wasn't super into it either. I did like it, but it doesn't even compare with Y or Saga.

I wasn't super into it either. I did like it, but it doesn't even compare with Y or Saga.

The worldbuilding and the characters of Y and Saga are what makes them so great. Ex Machina just doesn't compare in those categories.

Also, artwork is another thing that I think both Y and Saga have done better. I can't think of another artist out there that is a more perfect fit for the story than Fiona Staples. Y had similar artistic success, and it also had those beautiful covers going for it too. Ex Machina's art was good, not great in my opinion.

Ex Machina certainly has a different feel and approach, but I enjoyed it. Fantastic artwork, a really cool and original idea for a comic (mashing up West Wing style political drama with superhero/villain), and while not as great as Y and Saga, still a great book. I'm going to have to re-read Ex Machina soon, maybe after I finish catching up on Wasteland and the Judge Dredd Complete Case Files trades (only about 1/4 way through those).

I really like wasteland but I only get it in the oversized hardcovers that come out every other year

I really like wasteland but I only get it in the oversized hardcovers that come out every other year

Yeah I only recently found the individual issues (up to 24) and downloaded the rest on Comixology.

I hate that the TPBs of Wasteland don't include the non arc issues (#7, etc). Luckily they're in the hardcovers.

The worldbuilding and the characters of Y and Saga are what makes them so great. Ex Machina just doesn't compare in those categories. Also, artwork is another thing that I think both Y and Saga have done better. I can't think of another artist out there that is a more perfect fit for the story than Fiona Staples. Y had similar artistic success, and it also had those beautiful covers going for it too. Ex Machina's art was good, not great in my opinion.

I thought Ex Machina's art was great. I also just loved the idea. It would've made an awesome hour long drama or mini series on TV.

It's so weird that people on this site still haven't read Y the Last Man or Ex Machina. Where have you been and what have you been reading instead?

Lately? Brothers Karamazov and now Leo Tolstoy. I was actually on a two year comic hiatus, but I made my return a few months ago.

Issue 14 was a great one. I remember reading an interview with BKV when this book started and he said the birth of his child was one inspiration for Saga. I can see the parental themes a lot. Marko and Alana of course. Also Marko's mother ( as well as his father in the past) . Now that The Will has kind of adopted Sophie. You have older generations raising grown children, new young first time parents, single fathers and expecting robot tv headed parents. This book is deep.

Just read issue 19. That ending gave me a sadface.

With #20 we can definitely see Marko and Alana starting to grow apart. It's subtle, and it's not something like a fight or anything like that, but Alana is pursuing this dream job and Marko is starting to hit it off with this mom dance teacher. It's sad.

Then again, it would be just like this book to completely overstate the whole "parents splitting up" thing and it actually being much less.

#20 genuinely surprised me with the idea that the Robot baby is going to be this important character. I'm envisioning this peasant revolt and an overthrow of the kingdom...

Latest posts

Back