Saga by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples (SPOILERS)

I can't believe the controversy about #12. This book gets pretty amazing press.

After it was widely reported that Apple banned the sale of #12 from the Comixology app for two sex scenes (which made no sense at all considering the contents of the Sextillion issue), the Comixology CEO just posted that Apple didn't reject it; Comixology didn't allow it to appear in the app because they didn't want to violate any app store guidelines. They talked with Apple about it and Apple said there was no problem, so it will appear in the app.

I learned something though - that if you buy digital comics via the Comixology website the artists get a bigger cut because it eliminates the 30% cut Apple takes.

Anyway, #12 was great, as usual. Prince Robot IV visits the author that Alana is obsessed with and the whole book is interrogation, discussion, and a brief skirmish. Prince Robot says he will wait there for Alana and Marko to show up, not knowing that they've been there for a week. We leave with the family in the attic, unsure what to do and with the author downstairs with Prince Robot with a whole in his knee where Prince Robot shot him, and Prince Robot reading one of the novels.

The long-awaited costume contest was great - the winner was pretty awesome.

Another hiatus for this book while Fiona Staples plays catch-up. I haven't heard how long this one will be.

Oh ok. Well I'll be reading #10 and 11 very soon, I'm sure.

Eh, I still would love to see several of Vaughan's comic series (including Saga, but mostly Y) adapted for TV or film. Vaughan's dialogue and ideas just scream for a chance at a larger audience than comics themselves provide (much as I love the medium). I'm just dying to see Y adapted, and someday, if Vaughan and Staples were willing, Saga also. It's a very original, somewhat crazy but heartfelt and hilarious setting and characters which deserves as large an audience as possible. I understand Vaughan designed it for the comic medium, but I can't help but wonder at the spectacle of a TV or film adaptation.

If they ever made a Saga movie I think an animated feature would serve it better than a live action film.

I just can't even imagine not even exploring the possibility of turning this into some kind of movie or show. It has EVERYTHING and balances it all very well. There's something for everybody.

If they ever made a Saga movie I think an animated feature would serve it better than a live action film.

Maybe in terms of budget, but an R rated sci-fi epic (or even a cable tv show) would certainly be far more spectacular. And it's so different and interesting I couldn't see it not finding an audience, likely a huge audience.

I just can't even imagine not even exploring the possibility of turning this into some kind of movie or show. It has EVERYTHING and balances it all very well. There's something for everybody.

Exactly. It's something Vaughan does extremely well in taking classic genre tropes and turning them on their heads in thoughtful and interesting ways.

A Y-The Last Man television or movie series works the post-Apocalyptic angle, as well as a true examination of the roles of males and females. It'd be funny, interesting, and a sure shoe-in for a number of pro-feminist artistic awards. ;) It'd also not require a huge budget, just a lot of female actresses and extras, and it would be spectacular.

An Ex Machina series would work best as a TV show, combining the superhero and political drama genres wonderfully. It'd need to have a slightly larger budget to account for the superhero flashbacks, but its location scouting would be easier and likely less costly because it could mostly be filmed in a city much like Law & Order and various other cop shows are.

And Saga could really work either way. I think it'd be a tougher sell to movie studios as a hard R rated sci fi picture, and would necessitate removing a lot of the story and gags to fit it into a two hour movie and pass MPAA ratings. However, given the success of shows with graphic violence and nudity like Game of Thrones (both), Spartacus (both), Walking Dead (violence), etc, I don't see a cable TV series based on Saga as insurmountable, and as said I think it'd certainly find its audience. The only problem would be budget, but with a skilled special effects/CGI team handling the aliens, space scenes, etc, it could be done, and shows like Sci-Fi Channels Battlestar Galactica have shown extremely realistic and fantastic looking CGI for both spaceships and life-forms can be done on a television budget. Hell, using extensive green-screen tech could account for a large portion of the alien landscapes and reduce costs necessary for set-building. This would free up more budget for costume designs, make-up, and CGI.

It could certainly be done, and I'd love to see it happen. I know Vaughan and Staples intended it to be a comic only medium, but again, I think exposing it to as wide an audience as possible is a good thing for both the comic itself and for audiences who've probably never seen anything quite like it. It's definitely an original work.

I'm having Saga withdrawals

Yeah, I hate these breaks in the action. I don't feel like there are many books out there with anywhere near the amount of storytelling possibilities as Saga and it's not coming out fast enough to satisfy that. I feel like there could be 3 or 4 ongoing books about this universe.

I went to C2E2 looking for the ghost variants but they were nowhere to be found. I'd really like to get them.

Yeah, I hate these breaks in the action. I don't feel like there are many books out there with anywhere near the amount of storytelling possibilities as Saga and it's not coming out fast enough to satisfy that. I feel like there could be 3 or 4 ongoing books about this universe.

I went to C2E2 looking for the ghost variants but they were nowhere to be found. I'd really like to get them.

A one month delay I can deal with but according to Image's twitter feed it won't be back until August. That's kinda rediculous.

A one month delay I can deal with but according to Image's twitter feed it won't be back until August. That's kinda rediculous.

The cover date will be August or the issue will be released in August?

I know that, but that's a good 3 month break isn't it? I suppose Fiona will be able to get a ways ahead with that time, though.

Yeah, something like that. I guess part of it is hard to judge because I don't think we really know how much lead time she had for the first arc.

Still, it would be nice to have another artist do a fill-in mini arc in the downtime. It happens in Fables occasionally so I don't see what the big deal is as long as she agrees. Or maybe she doesn't agree.

I just read the first two trades. It is already probably one of my favorite comic series that I have ever read. The characters are all so great, and the art, and the story. Everything is so far above what the majority of the industry is doing its hard to believe.

I just read the first two trades. It is already probably one of my favorite comic series that I have ever read. The characters are all so great, and the art, and the story. Everything is so far above what the majority of the industry is doing its hard to believe.

I like how many storytelling possibilities there are. The universe is already so realized and developed that I feel like anything can happen.

I really need to go by my LCS and catch up on the past 2-3 issues, been slacking on my comic reading.

This is one of 3 books that I would make an effort to get a hold of as soon as it was released no matter how far behind I was on my comic reading.

This is one of 3 books that I would make an effort to get a hold of as soon as it was released no matter how far behind I was on my comic reading.

Yeah, I know. But I've decided I'm not reading another issue of Saga until you give Harbinger a try. Classic example of cutting off one's nose to spite their face.

No, never mind, Saga is too good.

Can't believe I'm the 1st one back. 13 was solid. A prequel to 12 more or less. The Will has turned into my favorite character and I'm thinking of dressing like him when I go to Dragoncon in Atlanta in a few weeks. I'm wondering if there will be anyone else dressed like a Saga character. Oh Slave Girl has a name now.

Latest posts

Back