San Diego Ultimate Panel

I'm getting that abandon ship feeling

I think after UFF and UXM wrap up I'll drop everything but USM (apparently they've got Ultimate Cap and Hulk ongoings in the wings)

and Lindelof's done UWvH? seriously? somebody call hell and see if they're frozen over

maybe they'll release it on December 21st, the three year anniversary of the release of the first issue

Last edited:
(apparently they've got Ultimate Cap and Hulk ongoings in the wings)

Where'd you read that? I know they have Ultimate Cap and Ultimate Hulk Annuals coming out in October, but there's been no mention of ongoings for either one I'm pretty sure.

The good news is:

-Mark Millar is coming back to the Ultimate universe in some form. It really doesn't matter the book (he's written already for Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men, and Ultimate FF and I enjoyed all his runs on them). I'm just glad he'll be coming back to the universe for something.

-Lindelof finally finished scripting Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk. I honestly thought we'd never see the end of this mini, but it looks like there's light at the end of the tunnel (its a very small light and far away, but its there). Yu will apparently pick up the artwork and complete the series after his work on Secret Invasion is completed. So I guess its possible we'll see #3-6 out sometime early next year, or next summer at latest (assuming nothing else comes up or delays Yu's completion of the artwork). YAY!

The bad news:

-All that Ultimatum crap. No one cares, really. I'm looking past Ultimatum to see what'll be left of the universe and see just how much can be salvaged--both from the destruction in the universe being foreshadowed by Ultimatum, and the destruction wrought by Loeb's terrible writing.

-A future Ultimates project will happen with Loeb and Frank Cho on art. Not sure if it'll be Ultimates 4 since its said they'll be working on "some version" of the Ultimates. I like more Ultimates, just not if Loeb's still on the title. I hoped Ultimatum would be his swan-song out of the Ultimate universe. Alas, not so apparently.

-The fact that they're even entertaining the idea of an Ultimate Ghost Rider just pisses me off. Especially when its mentioned in a panel that they're trying to use Ultimatum to reset the Ultimate universe and make it so that the Ultimate stories could actually happen in our world (more relatable, etc). Ghost Rider, ultimized or not, does not fulfill those requirements and is one of the last characters Marvel should ever think of bringing into the Ultimate verse.

The "Eeeehhhh" news:

-USM will continue. Duh.

-Ultimate Deadpool will return. (Probably should've listed that under the "bad news").

-Ultimate Doom will play a part in Ultimatum. I'm glad Doom's showing up, but apprehensive he'll just be the villainous deus ex machina, only countered by Reed's virtuous and honorable deus ex machina plot devices.

-Ultimatum is supposed to start in November, running in the ongoing UFF and UXM (3 issues each, UXM #98-100 and UFF #58-100). Now there's news Joe Pokaski will be doing "the last few issues" of UFF. Shouldn't the last few issues just be the Ultimatum issues? Its also mentioned Coleite will continue on with UXM (through issue #100). So apparently the Ultimatum won't immediately end the UXM and UFF ongoings (unfortunately). And I'm confused as hell as to when Ultimatum actually starts and who actually is writing it: Is it starting in November with UFF #58 and UXM #98 written by Loeb, or is it overseen by Loeb and written by Pokaski and Coleite on their respective titles, etc? I'm confused.

Last edited:
Call me when Ultimatum is done. Maybe a reset will reinvigorate my interest in this damn universe.

Last edited:

I really don't know what's happening. What's Millar taking over? If Loeb's on Ultimates then Millar has either UFF or UXM...I'd rather him be on UXM, personally.

I really don't know what's happening. What's Millar taking over? If Loeb's on Ultimates then Millar has either UFF or UXM...I'd rather him be on UXM, personally.

It sounds to me like some books are getting the axe and others are springing up in their place. We probably won't have any clue what Millar might be working on until we see what Ultimatum is leading into.

None of this interests me except for the Millar bit, but I doubt he'll be very important. He seems quite busy with all his other stuff but he did say he was going to be doing one more project about a Marvel character... I presume it's something with the Ultimate Universe. Meh. I'd rather he do it in 616 now, which is like a complete reversal of my opinion from three or four years ago.

None of this interests me except for the Millar bit, but I doubt he'll be very important. He seems quite busy with all his other stuff but he did say he was going to be doing one more project about a Marvel character... I presume it's something with the Ultimate Universe. Meh. I'd rather he do it in 616 now, which is like a complete reversal of my opinion from three or four years ago.

Agreed.

I personally can't wait to see what comes out of Ultimatum. SOMETHING needs to be done about what's going on right now. The titles need to interact again and there needs to be a distinctive cast of X-Men.

. . .it ties into the Avengers movie!?

Are they making the Ultimate Universe the comics of the Marvel movies??

Could be an Ultimate mini.

It sounds to me like some books are getting the axe and others are springing up in their place. We probably won't have any clue what Millar might be working on until we see what Ultimatum is leading into.

Yeah... :(

:shock:

Who taught you how to count? Stop hanging out with Loeb!

Whoops! :oops:

Meant UFF #58-60.

There's a portion of this interview that directly relates to that quote:

Mark Millar from Newsarama Interview said:
To me, it's what the Marvel Universe becomes a couple of years later. Whether it's Spidey as a single guy, Cap as a militaristic bad-***, Tony as Robert Downey Jr, the X-Men going public or whatever, it's the 21st Century Marvel comics. The Marvel Universe has basically been turned into the Ultimate Universe, right down to the military super-teams, so now it's time to go back and take things to the next level. I have a very big pad filled with notes here and am blazing on this stuff. I just want to take things to the next level.

So, theoretically, if Millar follows through on even only a little bit of his hype, in several years your view could reverse again.

God, I hope so. I'm wearing thin on the crappy Ultimate stories of late. :(

Last edited:
I have faith for some reason. I know that Loeb is at least a competent writer from Long Halloween and Dark Victory. And Mark Millar's stuff is at least entertaining to read. I just hope he's not doing anything with the Fantastic Four... :-/

Latest posts

Back