Seaguy (spoilers and that)

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaguy

Anyone read it? It's by Grant Morrison and Cameron Stewart, the same team that did the Manhattan Guardian mini of Seven Soldiers of Victory, if I'm not mistaken.

I had downloaded it a while ago, as part of a Grant Morrison torrent, and only just got around to reading all of it, after peaking at issue #1 every so often.

My brain hurts. I have no idea what this is about, but it's obviously one of Morrison's ideawanks which doesn't contain much story.

I have no idea whether this is good or bad, but is there anyone else who has read it? What was this about?

Re: Seaguy

I feel the need to step in and defend this, because I really enjoyed it.

I'll agree with several points:

Yes, it's not a proper story, in that it doesn't have a coherent beginning, middle, and end, and nobody ends up growing or maturing as a result of what happens, least of all the title character (which is a minor spoiler for the resolution of the series, by the way).

Yes, it often felt like a bunch of disjointed -- and often lunatic -- ideas that were haphazardly strung together into a half-assed quest/adventure plot.

So why did I like it?

(1) Fun, clever exploration of the themes, particularly the meta-commentary on the status of superhero narratives, especially the loss of a child-like sense of playfulness and imagination, replaced with store-bought surrealism.

(2) The goregeous artwork by Cameron Stewart, especially the character design for Chubby, the dead cityscape of Atlantis, and the two-page Crisis parody, where the heroes defeat "Anti-Dad".

(3) Perhaps this is a very retroactive way of assessing the mini-series, but think of it as a testing ground for the ideas Morrison would explore, in greater detail in both Seven Soldiers and 52: the fate of the Moon in Seaguy, and the fate of Mars in Frankenstein!; Seaguy's desire for heroic redemption, in comparison with Booster Gold; plus a few more ideas I can't quite remember off the top of my head.

(4) The sheer volume of concepts that he managed to pack into three issues. It's a (failed) experiment at just how much story-telling can be done in the space of 64 pages, or so, during an era in which decompression and "writing for the trade" is/was the norm.

I guess it was a very admirable failure, is what I'm trying to say.

Morrison said in an interview he has scripts ready for a Seaguy sequel, and he's just waiting on Cameron Stewart. Stewart has said he wasn't aware there was going to be a sequel, due to poor sales.

I haven't read Seaguy yet. I've got it sitting around, but haven't had a chance to read it.

Morrison said in an interview he has scripts ready for a Seaguy sequel, and he's just waiting on Cameron Stewart. Stewart has said he wasn't aware there was going to be a sequel, due to poor sales.

To expand on this, Morrison actually intends to make it a trilogy, with the Seaguy three-parter the first part in the trilogy. DC wasn't going to let him, but he managed to negotiate with DC to let him release the second one, in return for 52.

People who don't love Seaguy are dead on the inside.
That about sums it up better than I could ever hope to. The character AND the series has this irrepersible joie de vivre about it. Even when it gets horrifically tragic (no details please -- those who have read it), there's a sense of wonder and hopefulness about it. Though perhaps misguidedly so? :?

Last edited:

Grant Morrison said he is excited to be writing a new "Seaguy" miniseries as well as "Final Crisis," which he revealed no details about other than to confirm that he is attempting to include every DC character within its pages. He is also writing "All-Star Superman" and a run on "Batman."

We get more Seaguy but no Authority or Wildcats... :(

Grant Morrison said he is excited to be writing a new "Seaguy" miniseries as well as "Final Crisis," which he revealed no details about other than to confirm that he is attempting to include every DC character within its pages. He is also writing "All-Star Superman" and a run on "Batman."

We get more Seaguy but no Authority or Wildcats... :(

:(

I'm wondering about FINAL CRISIS. I wonder if it'll be good...

seaguy1.jpg

I just read Seaguy again in preparation for the new mini beginning April 1. I liked it a bit more this time though it's still not as good as most of Morrison's other stuff.

Cameron Stewart's art has grown on me too. I used to think he was pretty average but for some reason I really appreciated the art this time. It looked good.

Why did Chubby have to die? Da Fug! :(

Heh. So, I think this is off to a better start than the first book.

The bit with the fossils was pretty funny.

Latest posts

Back