Serenity (Firefly) movie (spoilers!)

Just saw it today.

And I must say, this was probably my most fulfilling theatrical experience of the year.

In other words:

THIS MOVIE WAS AWESOME!

Dear Joss Whedon,

I've heard your name through catching the ending credits of your famous WB series Buffy: The Vampire Slayer and Angel. I took some of the time to watch those shows on a few occasions and I have to say that I thought they were absolute ****. I have no respect for a man who takes vampire mythologies or any horror mythologies and turns them into circuses. Angel ran a law firm for the supernatural? Lame.

I then got into comicbooks and I heard your Astonishing X-Men was pretty good. I never read any of it but I give the guys who recommended the title the credit which they do deserve and I believe that once I do get around to it, I will enjoy it.

However, the fanboyishness and the seeming cult that seems to follow you around the internet also confused the hell out of me. I think anyone gives you credit for Buffy and Angel should be place in a special hospital so that they won't annoy me with their "opinons" that crap is good. (There I said it, People and their opinions sometimes suck)

Enough about my former thoughts on you.

Tonight I sat and gave Serenity a shot. Now I really wanted to hate this movie. I sat there and wanted to find something that I didn't like. A few corny lines every now and then wasn't enough. The character, Kaylee, was pretty annoying but I've had an infatuation with Jewel since her "Space Cases" days so still not much.

Hmph... some kind've hybrid between Star Wars (Han Solo specifically), 28 Days Later, and the Matrix (or some other conspiracy-Big Brother is watching movie). The movie was just ****in' good. The cast was solid, the story kept me up, I laughed, I cried, and I cheered. And the special effects? Jesus, Mary, and Joseph the special effects! I mean Star Wars came out and they went on and on about that opening space battle and this Serenity/Reavers/Alliance thing blew it right out of the water.

Bottom lines... If Astonishing is as great, I will probably forget the atrocities of Buffy and Angel and I will praise you as the rest of your little cult does. I just hope I don't get sucked into the whole Firefly mythology because if I do, I might never get out.

Sincerely,
A Potential Fan.

4/5

One of the best movies of the year. And one of the best space themed movies ever.

You know what?

I'll say it again and again.

As good as Serenity was (and it was)... I think the series, Firefly, was much better.

I'm glad you liked it Mwof. Now I'm sure you'll enjoy Firefly. :)

Bass said:
You know what?

I'll say it again and again.

As good as Serenity was (and it was)... I think the series, Firefly, was much better.

I'm glad you liked it Mwof. Now I'm sure you'll enjoy Firefly. :)

I have to agree. Man...I wish that show wasn't canceled...and I wish Serenity made more money at the box-office to garner a sequel...oh well.

I could see the whole discovery of the Reavers being a whole season's worth of episodes that the gang goes through, and none of this Mr. Universe (dues ex machina) stuff thrown in.

Okay, I just watched the entire Firefly series, read the mini and followed it up by watching Serenity. At the end of all of this I was left with the impression that River had been healed of her insanity? Did anyone else get that?

Samurai Jack said:
Okay, I just watched the entire Firefly series, read the mini and followed it up by watching Serenity. At the end of all of this I was left with the impression that River had been healed of her insanity? Did anyone else get that?
Healed? Hell no. In much better control of herself? Deffinatly.

I've seen Serenity, but just bought it off Amazon the other day after getting and watching Firefly last week (again, $25 on Amazon, go buy it!). I was hoping it would have arrived yesterday, but alas it did not. I have to agree with Bass that the series is better than the movie overall, although I think the movie seems to succeed with more action (basically both worked well for the medium that they were on) and the series has more storytelling. You can also order the episodes and movie on Comcast On Demand I noticed, but it's like $3 or $4 for a couple episodes, so just get the dvds.

From Moviehole.Com:
Serenity 2 A New Hope?
When Alan Tudyk told me on the phone this morning that a sequel to "Serenity" – that's the name of the "Firefly" movie for those who've been up at Guantanamo Bay for the past couple of years – could be happening I just about dropped the phone (I didn't though, because the last time I did that it landed in the loo. Fried itself. And as a consequence, I lost all my numbers.) Tudyk says the newly-released "Serenity : Special Edition" DVD has been selling so hot, that there's talk in doing another movie.

"They had to put [the new DVD] out because they've been selling out of the other one [the DVD that isn't the 'Collectors Edition'] and so Universal's like 'So, let's do another one'", he says, adding "And now… there's now a chance there's going to be another movie".

(Editor's Note : No Universal hasn't greenlit another "Serenity" movie, they only commissioned a 'Collectors Edition' DVD. Alan says there's now a "chance" there's going to be another movie. Cross your fingers peoples! And for those that have written in asking if I'm a true browncoat (c'mon!) or Whedon-fan.... my new baby daughter's named Charisma! Is that good enough for membership?).

Tudyk agrees that even if it was a direct-to-DVD movie, it'd still be worthwhile. Especially since the whole DVD sequel is a big trend.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that. I'll believe it when Whedon says its a go.
Same here. I think by "chance" they mean "thinking about it when they're not distracted by lap dances and releasing 'extended versions' of DVDs that were released three months ago."

Latest posts

Back