Shhh, this thread doesn't exist...

If you want, I'll go chapter by chapter. The only problem with that is I don't have (or want) Catwoman on Blu-Ray. I guess I could just ignore it and put a note at the bottom stating Catwoman considers itself apart of the Burtonverse. Or I could buy it...

Last edited:
The only good thing about Catwoman is her outfit (well for men at least, lol). That and a little bit of silly trivia:

In that movie, Halle Belly fights Sharon Stone. In the Flintstones movie, Halle Berry PLAYS as Sharon Stone.

Fun thing to note: Superman supposedly exists in this universe based on a line of dialogue in Batman & Robin "This is why Superman works alone". In my head canon, this is the Nicolas Cage Superman from the cancelled 'Superman Lives'. I guess we'll never find out, unless they decide to do an animated movie in this continuity (incredibly unlikely). If they did that, it would probably be in a separate continuity than Batman Forever/Batman & Robin. Whether thats a good thing or not, i can't decide.

Last edited:
Fun thing to note: Superman supposedly exists in this universe based on a line of dialogue in Batman & Robin "This is why Superman works alone". In my head canon, this is the Nicolas Cage Superman from the cancelled 'Superman Lives'. I guess we'll never find out, unless they decide to do an animated movie in this continuity (incredibly unlikely). If they did that, it would probably be in a separate continuity than Batman Forever/Batman & Robin. Whether thats a good thing or not, i can't decide.

I forgot about that. Whereas in Spider-Man (or Spider-Man 2) Aunt May says to Peter, "You're not Superman.", she's referring to a fictional character. But I like that idea of the Nick Cage Superman. Probably no way to make it work with the Christopher Reeve/ Brandon Routh Supermen?

Speaking of those, I sorta made my own head canon to make all 6 movies fit together. I know that Returns is supposed to ignore 3 and 4, but if you remove the scenes where Martha Kent is shown/ heard to have died, they can kinda work.

I posted this on DVD Talk back in 2006:

I know it's only supposed to be a "loose" sequel/ "vauge history" or whatever, to only the first two films, but I'd like to pretend myself that it's an actual sequel to all of the old Superman movies and even Supergirl, so everyone who wants to use the "loose sequel" arguement about this, just don't OK? I don't care. This is Superman V to me!

For example, the music, looks of most actors/ actresses, opening and closing scenes as well as more, makes me believe that this movie was a real part of the same series as the older Christopher Reeve movies. Plus even the re-using of some lines, besides Marlon Brando. (The airplane rescue)

EDIT: I recently rewatched all of the original films as well as Supergirl and I now feel that the movies work almost perfectly this way:

I think it could be easy to pretend that Superman IV took place in 2001. Nothing in this movie really seems dated (unlike the computers in III) and you can't really see the date on the newspapers without the "zoom" button. The only thing that would need to change would be mentioning Martha Kent's death. Lana Lang says something to Clark in III, like, "You haven't been back to Smallville since your mother's funeral", which could easily be re-dubbed "father's". In Superman IV, Clark is selling the farm, but that could probably be explained somehow other than because his parents are dead. But other than those, it makes pretty good sence to me.

Superman (1978)
Superman is introduced and fights Lex Luthor. Lex goes to jail.

Superman II (1980)
Lex escapes jail and Superman fights Zod, Non and Ursa and kills them? and Lex goes back to jail.

Superman III (1983)
Lex stays in jail the whole movie and Superman fights some others. Gus Gorman helps figure out where Krypton was.

Superman IV (2001 -c'mon, we can pretend)
Lex excapes (again!) and makes Nuclear Man. Nuclear Man is killed and Lex goes back to jail (again!) Clark, upset that he can't/ shouldn't help the little boy with the whole "world peace" thing, again reveals to Lois he is Superman and gives her another super memory erasing kiss. Superman tries to destroy every "weapon of mass destruction" and decides he can't. Movie ends. This is where some more stuff could happen (offscreen) Clark decides to reveal his identity one last time, has sex with Lois (again?) and then decides it was a bad mistake and super kisses her for the last time. A few months pass and September 11th comes along. Superman is upset that he couldn't do anything about it and combined with Gus's discovery in part III, decides to take a trip back "home". Why not?

Supergirl (2002- after Superman IV, again stretch your minds)
Nothing really dates or contradicts this movie badly, except possibly a brief scene in the Linda Lee's classroom where they show some old computers. So what? They are slow updating the class computers. Superman/ Clark's cousin is introduced and we actually see what goes on inside the phantom zone. It could easily take place directly before Superman Returns and after Superman IV as it is explained in this movie that Superman is out on a mission (you know, looking for Krypton remains and stuff)., which on the way there, he stops by Argo City, meets Kara/ Linda/ Supergirl and explains all about his adventures on Earth, which explains why Supergirl knows these things in the movie. He also gave her his old costume, which she modified into a skirt. This also explains why Superman's costume is a bit different in the new movie.

Superman Returns (2006)
Superman returns from space and all kinds of other stuff, like Lex being set free from prison because Superman wasn't there for the court date. I guess these things can be assumed: Mrs. Teschmacher and Otis: either Lex doesn't care about them anymore or they are doing something else/ still in prison. Lex's nephew Lenny reformed and is doing his own thing again. Lana Lang quit or got fired from her job at the Daily Planet between Superman III and IV. Jimmy Olsen and Lucy Lane (Lois's sister in Supergirl) broke up between Supergirl and Superman Returns. Clark was gone five years, so maybe he doesn't want to act like so much of an idiot anymore, maybe because the whole Lois thing upset him too.

Here's the original thread on DVD Talk. I know it's a bit crazy, but bear with me. Lol.:

I forgot about that. Whereas in Spider-Man (or Spider-Man 2) Aunt May says to Peter, "You're not Superman.", she's referring to a fictional character. But I like that idea of the Nick Cage Superman. Probably no way to make it work with the Christopher Reeve/ Brandon Routh Supermen?

Speaking of those, I sorta made my own head canon to make all 6 movies fit together. I know that Returns is supposed to ignore 3 and 4, but if you remove the scenes where Martha Kent is shown/ heard to have died, they can kinda work.

I posted this on DVD Talk back in 2006:

Here's the original thread on DVD Talk. I know it's a bit crazy, but bear with me. Lol.:

Interesting. Maybe I'll watch that order for fun someday.
If you want, you could insert Batman 1-4 between Superman III and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace and... Catwoman... pukes... between Supergirl and Superman Returns. Obviously thats overkill and more head than canon.

Superman
Superman II
Superman III
Batman
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman & Robin
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Supergirl
Catwoman
Superman Returns

I believe that unless it makes a direct connection to that Superman, there's no way of knowing that it's that version of the character. Catwoman made a direct connection to the Catwoman from Batman Returns, therefore it is intended to be in the Burtonverse. They even have the same transformations, further implying a connection. I heard someone say that the (probably) director said that he considers it a spin off to the Batman Movie Universe. Whether this is true, i don't know.

Last edited:
Added 'The Death of "Superman Lives" What Happened?' Documentary to the viewing order based on Superman/Metropolis references in Batman Forever and Batman & Robin and the fact that Tim Burton would have directed it. Can't add it to the timeline as it is a documentary.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back