Shonen Jump/Shojo Beat

Seldes Katne

Site mom
As a Youth Services Librarian, I receive occasional sample copies of these two publications. Basically, each features half a dozen installments of on-going manga series. Shojo Beat is apparently aimed at girls, and Shonen Jump at boys. (For example, I have a copy of Shojo Beat that features seven on-going stories: Millenium Snow, Vampire Knights, Crimson Hero, Backstage Prince, Baby and Me, Abolute Friends, and Nana. It also has articles about pop culter, fashion, artist/author interviews, and so on.)

Presumably these two titles belong in a Young Adult section, rather than a children's section of a library. Is anyone familiar with these titles? I'm considering a subscription to both of them. The couple of issues I've seen of each seem acceptable for a public library setting, but I haven't been reading either title on a regular basis. Also, is there a publication like this aimed at younger readers?

I have read Shojun Jump, and it does feature the blood and violence in many manga that anime tends to edit out here in the states.

But, the Shojun Jump at our library is in the Young Adult's section.

Shonen Jump has blood, but since its usually black and white, it isn't as noticeable. They also usually edit out curse words. There's a separate line, called Shonen Jump Advanced, that keeps in cursing.

I read One Piece, Naruto, Shaman King, and Bleach from the main SJ line and Death Note and Eyeshield 21 from the Advanced line. All of which are (usually) pretty good.

Shonen Jump has blood, but since its usually black and white, it isn't as noticeable. They also usually edit out curse words. There's a separate line, called Shonen Jump Advanced, that keeps in cursing.

I read One Piece, Naruto, Shaman King, and Bleach from the main SJ line and Death Note and Eyeshield 21 from the Advanced line. All of which are (usually) pretty good.

I read One Piece, Naruto and Bleach. They're extremely bloody and have entire panels of it spurting everywhere. If you collected the blood Ichigo coughed up during an entire battle, you could probably bathe in it. They're all very good otherwise and fairly innocent--most of the cursing is censored, they're clean sex-wise, they're not 'gritty', the good guys always win, etc. The Young Adult section is probably right for them.

I'm an avid Shojo Beat reader. I'm totally in love with Vampire Knight right now.

There still needs to be more shôjo and shôjo-ai released in america (and the shôjo-ai needs to have happier endings, I'm tired of sobbing over the endings).

I avoid these like the plague because the bad translation bothers me. It's just little things like "Art of the Doppelganger" in Naruto that drive me mad.

I avoid these like the plague because the bad translation bothers me. It's just little things like "Art of the Doppelganger" in Naruto that drive me mad.

Honestly, we get it, you don't like manga.

Actually, to the contrary, I do like manga. What I don't like, however, is the "Americanization" when translating.

You do realize you cannot directly translate Japanese to English, like other languages can, right?

When it comes to translating from japanese to english there has to be a bit of imagination and interpretation.

You do realize you cannot directly translate Japanese to English, like other languages can, right?

When it comes to translating from japanese to english there has to be a bit of imagination and interpretation.

I completely understand that. But what I'm talking about is when they purposely change dialouge and nouns in an attempt to make their product more accessible to Americans. Now, I can get why this is done, but it irritates me to the point where I do not buy magazines like Shonen Jump or even the manga graphic novels that are so popular. I'm honestly not trying to argue with you here; if you like Americanized manga, that's fine. I can't stand the stuff.

*snip* if you like Americanized manga, that's fine. I can't stand the stuff.

Did I not say that? We get it, you don't like it. I'm just irritated that you seem to think we want you bashing it because we do. Yes, I get it, they change **** for the US audience, just like they change our properties for theirs.

If you want to read manga in its native form, wonderful, learn the language, and if you're lucky like me, you have access to untranslated works as well as translated.

I completely understand that. But what I'm talking about is when they purposely change dialouge and nouns in an attempt to make their product more accessible to Americans. Now, I can get why this is done, but it irritates me to the point where I do not buy magazines like Shonen Jump or even the manga graphic novels that are so popular. I'm honestly not trying to argue with you here; if you like Americanized manga, that's fine. I can't stand the stuff.
A lot of the time, the people who say that the translations are badly Americanized are dead wrong or have absolutely no understanding of linguistic differentials.

Sometimes what is called Americanized is not Americanized at all, but a precarious balancing act between translation and transliteration.

Latest posts

Back