Spider-Man Should Spidey Of the Marvel Universe be Married?

What are your feelings regarding a Married Spider-Man/Peter Parker?

• Best thing that ever happend to Spidey. Bring on the Kids!

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • It makes Peter seem old and takes away story avenues. Bring on the Babes!

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I don't mind Peter being married. Just Not MJ.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Wouldn't mind seeing the marriage end. If Marvel can do it gracefully.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I would mind MJ being killed, without seeming to be like Gwen's death.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I don't have feelings either way.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • In this case, leave it be.

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters

the watcher

I found this poll over at newsarama.com and wondering, what you guys think? Some people have said Mary Jane is holding him down. They liked it better when he was single, he was more adventures. So should Peter leave Mary Jane?

Nah. As long as I have been exposed too spider-man he has always been with MJ, it would just be weird to see him with someone else. Plus if he was dating again how long would it be until we started seeing that old comic cliche of the hero being late for date and having to make up an excuse. Its a step backwards in my opinion.
If you want spidey to date other ladies read ultimate.

Shouldn't this be in the Spiderman section? Or the New Avengers? Not the General comics section?

And they should do a whole divorce thing, Morrison should write it

Only to have Austen come in and retcon the whole thing with time travel

TheManWithoutFear said:
**** JMS and Joe Q for even entertaining the thought of taking this element away. Does no one hold the sacrament sacred anymore?

Word. That's like saying Lois Lane and Superman shouldn't be together. And for anyone who's read IC....we know that just can't happen in any universe.

They already did the thing where they were broken up, either early in the JMS run or just before it.

I like them being married, I think you can make a lot of stories from that. The timing was of and very rushed but that a side. It also shows that Peter is maturing. I dont want to see Peter in college forever with constant women trouble and ****ing love triangles (I HATE LOVE TRIANGLES). I want to see him grow up. Sometimes you have to make a new status quo.

I wouldnt say the best thing that ever happened, but still

Last edited:
the watcher said:
Some people have said Mary Jane is holding him down.

I think they're wrong. It's just that Spidey is being written like a dildo at the moment. I personally prefer him not being married, but I don't think he should be so. I just think, regardless of his marital status, he should be entertaining.

About this topic: Joe Quesada said in response to this "What would stan do" i think quesada also said that an unmarried spider man would make better stories. ok so what would stan do? I don't think quesada went and asked him so why should quesada be making that desision for him:?

Last edited:
a fan said:
About this topic: Joe Quesada said in response to this "What would stan do" i think quesada also said that an unmarried spider man would make better stories. ok so what would stan do? I don't think quesada went and asked him so why should quesada be making that desision for him:?

Actually at WW: Philly Quesada explained that he had a pretty good grasp on WSLWD. I forget the exact details (Newspaper the wedding story was told in?) But the only reason Spider-Man got married to MJ was because they needed a big/positive event for the paper it was published in.

Alright, here is the way I see it:

Spider-man is supposed to be the "every-man" type character. He used to friggin' define it. Still does!

a.) most people would think "every-man" in their late twenties would be married, as compared to a swinging bachelor. married implies grounded and normalness, as compared to lunatic sexual adventures.

b.) if a super-model loved you, it'd take someone exceedingly not normal to marry her and let her get away.

c.) "every-man" doesn't have babes throwing themselves at him.

d.) Spider-man, and "every-man," has strong ties to his family. Anonymous floozy girlfriends are not family, a wife is.

AND I WILL STATE ONCE AGAIN, THAT JOE QUESADA THINKS WOLVERINE, THE MAN WHO CAN'T GET CANCER, SHOULDN'T SMOKE, BECAUSE WOLVERINE WOULD CARE WHAT THE KIDDIES THOUGHT OF HIS MURDEROUS, LECHEROUS SELF IF THEY SAW HIM WITH A CIGARETTE.

MJ isn't the problem.

The problem is that they killed off his supporting cast... They had to re-write Mary Jane as kidnapped rather than dead... Aunt May they simply ret-conned her death... Harry Osborn is still dead... Gwen Stacy is still dead... All the other little run in characters have not worked, and Flash Thompson hasn't been around in years (his reappearance). Norman Osborn and Peter's relationship has been played over and over to the point of it being bland... Doctor Octopus doesn't make all that much sense of a character to begin with... Eddie Brock isn't venom anymore, etc... Hell, even with the clone saga they managed to make that entire era's worth of villains and plotlines disapear forever rather than leaving a loose string for a better writer to fill in...

They've ****ing killed off one potential storyline after another to go for the shocker death, or the reappearance of a classic villain. What about coming up with something original for once? Why not pit Spidey against someone he's in way over his head with? Someone smarter than he is, who knows how to **** with him, whose just funnier than he is, does EVERYTHING better. Something like that. It'd be great!

That's why I love Stracynski's run on Amazing from the first issue until the **** with Sins Past and The Other... Ezekiel was a fantastic new character, whom I hope manages to show up in the future, and I'm sure they'll pull out Morlun again... All of these characters were attempts at something new, and it worked. He made the supporting cast important for the first time in years. MJ was back, and had a character, Aunt May found out about him being spidey, and reacted to that, Zeke was giving him some voodoo mumbo-jumbo, and him becoming a Science Teacher helped remind everyone that Peter was smart, and the bits with his students allowed him to develop as an older person... It was intriguing, and left me very pleased with Spidey in general.

I don't like him living in the Avengers tower, but at least the characters allow for certain character interaction with previously interesting characters... Especially his relationship with Tony Stark...

Otherwise, I want him to move out. Soon. Let him be in the Avengers and have his own series separately. Batman can handle Gotham and NYC with only one or two other heroes popping up here and there.

Also: Who the **** made the Kingpin only Daredevil territory?

Honestly, I could see Harry returning. I almost hope not... But I would like to see that kind of character again.

Dr.Strangefate said:
They've ****ing killed off one potential storyline after another to go for the shocker death, or the reappearance of a classic villain. What about coming up with something original for once? Why not pit Spidey against someone he's in way over his head with? Someone smarter than he is, who knows how to **** with him, whose just funnier than he is, does EVERYTHING better. Something like that. It'd be great!

JMS did. Morlun? Not funnier, but pretty much everything better. Spidey used his spider-brains to beat him.

Also, Norman def. knows how to f*ck with Peter. Again, not as funny, but Pete has to win with heart everytime.

Otherwise, I agree for the most part. Spider-man's supporting characters were awesome, now it's only really MJ and May. I love how JMS did all these relationships, though to be honest I don't like the mystical direction. It's interesting, I just don't think it fits spidey.

I like Peter living in Stark Tower because I like Spidey actually getting a f*cking break every now and then.

And I think in Kingpin was moved to Daredevil only because nowadays Spidey would be able to 1 or 2 punch Kingpin. If Matt can beat them in a fight, Spider-man is strong enough to 1 punch them. He's smart enough now to be like "Ok, I know this guy is tough, I don't need to hold back as much" and apply 10% of his "I can bench a bus" strength as compared to 5% of his "I can bench a bus" strength. He does need new villains though.

Latest posts

Back