Should the Ultimate Universe have ended after ultimates Vol. 2?

I kind of think it is cool when the re-tell old stories with a new twist to them. And even if the event mirrors 616, the new characterization of the Ultimate characters makes it feel new and different. Ultimate Proteus in UXM comes to mind. If you read the 616 version of that story, it is really not all that different from the Ult version. But the small changes and different characterizations of the X-men make it cool and a good read.

I think the big difference is that when the UU started out, they didn't just mindlessly strip mine 616. They took stories and events and re-worked them but they took time to add characterization and build them up. They made changes that were necessary but they left enough of the 616 U in there to make it still cool. Plus they also added new stories to build their characters. Stories like Ultimate War were great.

Now it just seems rushed. Characters don't get proper build up or maintain the voice that has been established. the 616 U is just strip mined for quick (and poor) 3-4 issue arcs and then discarded. Ult Apocolypse, Shadow King, and Thanos were a few that I felt that were very short changed in terms of the type of stories that could have been told with them.

X-Men evolution Apocalypse was better then Ultimate Apocalypse, its pretty bad when a sat morning cartoon beats you terms of writing.

At this pouint, with all the similar chracterization to the 616 U that has been done in the UU, I would weant a major interesting twist, before they even think about recyling another old 616 story.

@Foolsfolly: Definitely. I don't care if it was by brain tumour or otherwise, but he shoud not be alive.

But the fact is a big name doesn't mean instant sucess.

In terms of sales it surely would. Frank Miller is a little kooky but put him on just about any book and they might as well be printing money.

Look what happened when less popular names took over Ultimate Fantastic Four and Ultimate X-Men. Nobody is talking about them - even here - and several of us aren't even reading them. And this site is/was ABOUT the Ultimate line.

In terms of sales it surely would. Frank Miller is a little kooky but put him on just about any book and they might as well be printing money.

Look what happened when less popular names took over Ultimate Fantastic Four and Ultimate X-Men. Nobody is talking about them - even here - and several of us aren't even reading them. And this site is/was ABOUT the Ultimate line.

:cry:

That's all.

It still doesn't change the fact Miller is way past his prime. I like Stan Lee, but I wouldn't hire him to write now. I would rather get big names who are good at their job, instead.

Besides with Miller on UDD, he would likely just recyle Born Again or something. I would rather just hire Greg Rucka or someone to do an UDD mini, with new subject matter.

Oh yeah, killing off one of the most interesting and well-liked characters in the UU, that's a good idea. :roll:

I'm pretty sure it is, if handled well. It's not like his plot armor is stronger than the actual suit like over in the regular MU, and his death is one of the motivating factors in his character and why he's even a super hero. I've heard a lot of people complain that these stories are without end, and giving Tony a legacy rather than a life-long career is exactly the kind of option the UU has open.

The Black Widow was hardly an emotional, resounding loss to the Universe and the readers. I could take or leave her death, but it was never a very big deal.

Keeping him alive isn't a terrible decision either, just a little less interesting, particularly since he hasn't covered one square inch of new ground yet.

Also, One title will be canceled, and it isn't Spider-man.

Joe Quesadilla Believe me, when we get to that moment [where all is revealed], it literally will be that, "Luke, I'm your father" kind of moment where you go, "Oh my god!"

And then you go, "I can't believe I bought this!"

EDIT: I don't see why Tony had to die. He's too smart to thoughtlessly get killed. And Natasha being killed was very satisfying. After all, she killed Hawkeye's family.

Last edited:
I meant by his brain tumor. It's why he became a hero, and it's what should eventually kill him. I just don't think there was a better time than Ultimates 2.

I'm pretty sure it is, if handled well. It's not like his plot armor is stronger than the actual suit like over in the regular MU, and his death is one of the motivating factors in his character and why he's even a super hero. I've heard a lot of people complain that these stories are without end, and giving Tony a legacy rather than a life-long career is exactly the kind of option the UU has open.

The Black Widow was hardly an emotional, resounding loss to the Universe and the readers. I could take or leave her death, but it was never a very big deal.

Keeping him alive isn't a terrible decision either, just a little less interesting, particularly since he hasn't covered one square inch of new ground yet.

Also, One title will be canceled, and it isn't Spider-man.

Everything was leading up to it. And now he's a robot. So....at least it would have given him a noble exit and he'd be a hero that saved America instead of..."When did Tony die/get replaced with a robot?"

Latest posts

Back