Should there be more minis that set up ongoing series?

MaxwellSmart

My favorite recent mini was Deadly Genesis. Looking back what I really liked about it was that it set up the Brubakers arc on Uncanny so well and got me thinking. Why aren't there more minis that serve to launch a big arc on a series?

Right now, most minis serve to tell the untold stories/origins of teams and characters, or they're self-contained stories. Historical minis are well and good, but I've come to realize that they're basically just niche stories for the more hardcore fans. Self-contained stories can have some great writing but are frustratingly irrelevant.

Personally I'd really like to see more minis that serve to begin a story that will be picked up in an ongoing. Who's with me?

I'd be game for it. I still want my traditional mini, but more Mardox/Deadly Genesis/Daughters of the Dragons would be fine by me. Now if they really want to play into that they can release the TPB of the mini with a nice V0 on the spine to let devout barnes and noble tradewaiters in that you should check this out too. Say Uncanney X-Men present Deadly Genesis.

Baxter said:
I'd be game for it. I still want my traditional mini, but more Mardox/Deadly Genesis/Daughters of the Dragons would be fine by me. Now if they really want to play into that they can release the TPB of the mini with a nice V0 on the spine to let devout barnes and noble tradewaiters in that you should check this out too. Say Uncanney X-Men present Deadly Genesis.

It was surprisingly good. It was slow to me at first, but then my bf finally bought the last issue a few days ago and wow. Cyclops was a dick. It was a good change though.

It's a good idea.....but I think the problem would arise with the fact that you can't just pick up #1 and run with it. You need to read the mini to find out backstory about someone.

Case in point is with Deadly Genesis. Had we been thrown into the Uncanny issues with the team heading to space to fight Vulcan without having read the mini....how would we know who they're chasing and why shoud we care. It's almost imperative that you read Deadly Genesis to truly follow what's going on in Uncanny now.

Last edited:
Madrox + ongoing=x-factor, my current favorite. I say yes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back