Shoulda been unstable molecules...

E

Excelsior Club
As much as I hate hokey explanations, I love the concept of unstable molecules. Anyone who wants to see how brilliantly they can be used in a story should check out Imaginauts, which is Mark Waid's first arc on Fantastic Four.

Unstable molecules should totally have been used in the Ultimate Fantastic Four's origin. As a whole and a concept, I didn't care for the "N-Zone."

It's been a while since I ranted about that; I had to get it off my chest.

UltimateE said:
As much as I hate hokey explanations, I love the concept of unstable molecules. Anyone who wants to see how brilliantly they can be used in a story should check out Imaginauts, which is Mark Waid's first arc on Fantastic Four.

Unstable molecules should totally have been used in the Ultimate Fantastic Four's origin. As a whole and a concept, I didn't care for the "N-Zone."

I would've loved to have seen it, too.

The more I think about it, the more I realise that when Millar and Bendis decided to band together to create the UF4, they both thought they could get away with doing half as much work, and as a result, they produced utter bollocks that we've got to live with.

UF4 is the only ultimate ongoing I feel already needs an ultimization... that and Spidey.

I hate the Fantastic Four

Except for Sue, she's hot

Oh god, this is TGO type answer, he must be rubbing off on me.

No people, not that way.....oh gawd.

I don't know what fascinates people about seeing bulls**t science terms that sound cool in comic books. I think it's clear that there isn't much applicable science in comic books to begin with. I hate it when a comic book writer decides to make up some crappy scientific explaination for their storyline. I would rather hear nothing than something stupid. Overall, I think UF4 has done good job at not sounding stupid.

MaxwellSmart said:
I don't know what fascinates people about seeing bulls**t science terms that sound cool in comic books. I think it's clear that there isn't much applicable science in comic books to begin with. I hate it when a comic book writer decides to make up some crappy scientific explaination for their storyline. I would rather hear nothing than something stupid. Overall, I think UF4 has done good job at not sounding stupid.
I rather like hard science-fiction. Not crappy ones, but sci-fi that actually gives scientic explanations and such, like the detailed explanation of how Superman's powers work (photosynthesis, Super-ATP, and so on).

UltimateE said:

I will say it made more sense than the space travel origin, however, the N-Zone proved to be very stale in the long run. I wasn't pleased with the Annihulus arc at all. There's little meat in the N-Zone for any kind of story other than the fact that it's a gateway to other dimensions. Hopefully, Millar will be the one to put the nail in the coffin of the N-Zone soon. I bet we'll be seeing more of it with the Zombie Four threatening Reed they're going to break out.

Goodwill said:
I will say it made more sense than the space travel origin, however, the N-Zone proved to be very stale in the long run. I wasn't pleased with the Annihulus arc at all. There's little meat in the N-Zone for any kind of story other than the fact that it's a gateway to other dimensions. Hopefully, Millar will be the one to put the nail in the coffin of the N-Zone soon. I bet we'll be seeing more of it with the Zombie Four threatening Reed they're going to break out.
Of course we will. How else do you get rid of a zombie supervillain team. Blast them into the dying N-Zone.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Of course we will. How else do you get rid of a zombie supervillain team. Blast them into the dying N-Zone.

Or cook them in an electric chair. That'd be sort of an Ultimate twist. ;)

MaxwellSmart said:
I don't know what fascinates people about seeing bulls**t science terms that sound cool in comic books.

It's more than just science terms. Read the stories I mentioned.

Goodwill said:
In Ellis' run the science was buyable. In Millar's? Not so much. It's got to make sense to win people over now.

Yeah, I've read that letter in UFF#24 from some science geek who criticized some stuff Millar used. Millar owned up to his mistakes and hopefully would do more research next time. I don't think it would be a hard time to Google what synapses really are.

I have no problems with adding psuedo-scientific or real scientific explanations to comic books. It adds more dimension to the Ultimate Universe's level of realism. Just because it's about a comic book doesn't mean that everything we can't achieve some believability.

Millar should at least know SOMETHING about what he's mentioning... He can't just use something because it's a "big word".

i would love to have the unstable molecules come about, because of a lab accident at the baxter buliding that give's someone the ability to morph/shapeshift & after the F4 beat the crap outta him/her then reed uses it to create unstable molecules. just as a single issue kinda thing

Last edited:
What if Ultimate Molecule-Man has something to do with Unstable Molecules.... have Ustb. Molec. even been mentioned in the UU.....

Unstable Molecules? Who cares? And why am I even reading this thread?

Bye.

Ultimate Houde said:
I hate the Fantastic Four

Except for Sue, she's hot

Oh god, this is TGO type answer, he must be rubbing off on me.

No people, not that way.....oh gawd.
Especially with the crap grammar. :roll:

Korinthian said:
Unstable Molecules? Who cares? And why am I even reading this thread?

Bye.

And come on man, you are almost as bad as me! Complain about something decent, like Bendis, for a change, or shut the Hell up.

Last edited:
Unstable molecules are good, but the N-Zone is better.

Family, travel, adventure, goofy weirdness and fun are all fundamental to the Fantastic Four. Start as you mean to go on. The origin of the Fantastic Four should involve travel and adventure, not just a lab accident, however well handled.

It did.

I liked the origin we got. The N-Zone is Reed Richards' and our great portal to "the fantastic". It could not have been too soon to get this into the story. The heroes were scattered far and wide, and there was an adventure and villains. There was plenty of family setup and character development for Reed Richards, and enough to get by for Ben Grimm and the others.

The fundamentals are in place. I'm a happy customer.

Latest posts

Back