Silent Hill Timeline

JudgeDreddpool

Consider this thread my attempt to make a timeline from this iconic horror series, mainly out of both boredom and the fact that it's that time of the year. But first, a list of what is covered and what isn't:
Media Covered:
Main games:
  • Silent Hill (1999)
  • Silent Hill 2 (2001)
  • Silent Hill 3 (2003)
  • Silent Hill 4: The Room (2004)
  • Silent Hill: Origins (2007)
  • Silent Hill: Homecoming (2008)
  • Silent Hill: Downpour (2012)
  • Silent Hill ƒ (TBA) - Appears to be a prequel set in 1960s Japan
Spin-offs:
  • Silent Hill: The Arcade (2007)
  • Silent Hill: Orphan (2007) - TBD
  • Silent Hill: Orphan 2 (2008) - TBD
  • Silent Hill: Orphan 3 (2010) - TBD
  • Silent Hill: The Escape (2008) - TBD
  • Silent Hill: Book of Memories (2012)
  • Silent Hill: Ascension (2023) - TBD
  • Silent Hill: The Short Message (2024) - TBD
  • Silent Hill: Townfall (TBA) - TBD
Comics:
  • Silent Hill: Cage of Cradle (2006)
  • Sinner's Reward (2008)
  • Past Life (2010)
  • Anne's Story (2014)
Media Not Covered:
Main games:

• Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (2009) - Non-canon alternate reimagining of the first game, as well as being set in a new universe
  • Silent Hill 2 (Bloober Team) (TBA) - Remake of Silent Hill 2 by Bloober Team, who are infamous for their handling of topics relating to mental health issues in their games
Spin-offs:
  • Silent Hill pachislot (2015) - Silent Hill 2 adapted into a pachislot game, just with some deviations... no, just no
Films:
  • Silent Hill (2006) - Loose adapation of the first Silent Hill game, while also taking elements from SH2 & SH3
  • Silent Hill: Revelation (2012) - Sequel to the above film, serving as a loose adaptation of SH3
  • Return to Silent Hill (2023) - Reboot of the SH movies, serving as an adaptation of SH2
Comics:
The following comics are infamous among fans for their many discrepancies with the Silent Hill lore, shoddy artwork, unlikable characters and plotholes up the wazoo. As such, I see no reason to include these in the timeline.
  • Dying Inside (2004)
  • Among the Damned (2004)
  • Paint It Black (2005)
  • The Grinning Man (2005)
  • Hunger (2006)
  • Dead/Alive (2006)
And now, onto our main presentation...
silent-silenthill.gif
Playing/Reading/Viewing Order:
Silent Hill: Past Life #1
Silent Hill: Past Life #2**
Silent Hill: Past Life #3**
Silent Hill: Past Life #4**
Silent Hill ƒ**
Silent Hill: Origins
Silent Hill: Cage of Cradle
Silent Hill
Silent Hill 2**
Silent Hill: The Arcade
Silent Hill 3**
Silent Hill 4: The Room**
Silent Hill: Homecoming**
Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward #1**
Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward #2**
Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward #3**
Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward #4**
Silent Hill: Book of Memories**
Silent Hill: Downpour**
Silent Hill: Anne's Story #1**
Silent Hill: Anne's Story #2**
Silent Hill: Anne's Story #3**
Silent Hill: Anne's Story #4**
Silent Hill: Ascension**
Silent Hill: The Short Message**
Silent Hill: Townfall**

Timeline:
1867 (116 Years Before Silent Hill)
????

Silent Hill: Past Life #1 (Pg. 15-16)

????
Silent Hill: Past Life #1 (Pg. 1-14, 16-21)

Silent Hill: Past Life #2**
Silent Hill: Past Life #3**
Silent Hill: Past Life #4**

196? (20-ish Years Before Silent Hill)
????

Silent Hill ƒ**

1976 (7 Years Before Silent Hill)
????

Silent Hill: Origins - (Link to playthrough)

1983 (0 Years Before/After Silent Hill)
????

Silent Hill: Cage of Cradle
Silent Hill - (Link to playthrough)

1993 (10 Years After Silent Hill)
????

Silent Hill 2**
November(?)
Silent Hill: The Arcade - (Link to playthrough)

2000 (17 Years After Silent Hill)
????

Silent Hill 3**

2001 (18 Years After Silent Hill)
????

Silent Hill 4: The Room**

2007 (24 Years After Silent Hill)
October

Silent Hill: Homecoming**

2008(?) (25(?) Years After Silent Hill)
????

Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward #1-4**

2010 (27 Years After Silent Hill)
June(?)

Silent Hill: Book of Memories**

2011 (28 Years After Silent Hill)
????

Silent Hill: Downpour**
Silent Hill: Anne's Story #1**
Silent Hill: Anne's Story #2**
Silent Hill: Anne's Story #3**
Silent Hill: Anne's Story #4**

202? (30/40-ish Years After Silent Hill)
????

Silent Hill: Ascension**
Silent Hill: The Short Message**

???? (?? Years After Silent Hill)
????

Silent Hill: Townfall**

((WIP, check back regularly))

Last edited:
Placement Notes:
Silent Hill: Past Life #1-4 - TBA

Silent Hill ƒ - An apparent prequel set in 1960s Japan. The game has not yet been released, so I'm putting it in a vague 1960s placement to be safe.

Silent Hill: Origins - A prequel to the first game released in 2007 on PSP and in 2008 for the PS2, it's set seven years (more on that below) before the first game, with the Good Ending serving as the canon ending due to revealing how Cheryl was adopted by Harry Mason and his wife, as well as Travis Grady later appearing briefly in Silent Hill: Homecoming.

Silent Hill: Cage of Cradle - A manga that apparently serves as a prequel to Silent Hill. Despite this, I haven't found a translated copy yet, so until then, I'll just be placing it before Silent Hill to be safe.

Silent Hill - The original game that started it all back on the Playstation in 1999. While the wiki places the game sometime in the 1980s, the in-universe Alex Shephard's Diary included a year that while partly scratched out, when copied into a text editor, gives us the year 1983, which in turn would place Origins in 1976. Furthermore, while neither of the Bad Endings can be considered canon (due to Heather Mason not being born in either of those endings), it's currently ambiguous as to whether or not the Good or Good+ Ending is the true canon ending due to Cybil Bennett's fate being up for debate. While the Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle document considers the Good Ending (Cybil dying) as the "orthodox ending connected to the third game" and multiple creators of the games have said conflicting things, I'll personally consider the Good+ Ending as the "true canon" until it's said otherwise.

Silent Hill 2 - TBA

Silent Hill: The Arcade - An arcade Light-Gun spin-off released in 2007, with an unofficial PC Port being made by fans in 2014. The opening crawl gives the date of the Little Baroness's disappearance as being November 1918, with the game taking place 75 years later in 1993. For ease, I'll consider the game in November, to match with 1918.

Silent Hill 3 - TBA

Silent Hill 4: The Room - TBA

Silent Hill: Homecoming - TBA

Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward #1-4 - TBA

Silent Hill: The Book of Memories - TBA

Silent Hill: Downpour - TBA

Silent Hill: Anne's Story #1-4 - A four-part comic book series tie-in to Downpour focusing on the perspective of Anne Marie Cunningham during the events of the game. The epilogue of the final issue confirms that the "Truth and Justice" ending in Downpour is the canonical ending. Should be read after Downpour for the best experience.

Silent Hill: Ascension - An interactive CGI TV series set outside of the titular town and following an ensemble cast of characters. Currently ongoing and plan to check it out once it's concluded.

Silent Hill: The Short Message - TBA

Silent Hill: Townfall - A spin-off that's intended to launch an anthology series. Not yet released.

Last edited:
Added Silent Hill: The Arcade to the timeline. Easiest entry to place, since the game takes place 75 years (1993) after the disappearance of the Little Baronness in 1918

Okay, so I've been looking at Silent Hill: Ascension and... I just don't know how to feel about including it currently. Maybe down the line, but for now...
yeah... i just tried to log on and its overwhelming to navigate. I figured I would try and catch up on epsiodes but they were difficult to find and also a smartphone doesnt feel like the best way to watch a slow brooding horror piece.

thats the thing about Silent hill, the first four games have quite a tight and deep lore which many future developers ended up misinterpreting and end up going with "spooky oooo"

yeah... i just tried to log on and its overwhelming to navigate. I figured I would try and catch up on epsiodes but they were difficult to find and also a smartphone doesnt feel like the best way to watch a slow brooding horror piece.

thats the thing about Silent hill, the first four games have quite a tight and deep lore which many future developers ended up misinterpreting and end up going with "spooky oooo"
On the topic of episodes, I did find this one YouTube playlist that seems like it has every episode so far.

For now though, I'll probably focus on the games and canon comics. Maybe down the line, I'll check in on Ascension, see how that is.

Timeline updated with Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward #1-4. Don't have full placement notes for the comic, so I'll keep an eye out for any details.

Timeline updated with Silent Hill: Cage of Cradle. If anyone's able to find a translated copy of the manga so I can verify placement, I'd be extremely grateful.

Latest posts

Back