So are UXM and UFF finished for good?

I need to get my pitch up for Ultimatum done right. It would totally set the stage for something to that effect.
Sweet! I, for one, look forward to reading it.

And on an even geekier note, me and some friends run an online roleplaying game playing with many of the same themes, playing with the fundamental changes that a "mutant boom" would have on the world at large. It's actually worked out surprisingly well so far. Mutation as self-willed evolution, willful transhumanism.
Niiiice. This was also the direction I *hoped* Heroes would be moving towards, in Season 2. Oh well.

Honestly, even if Marvel editorial would prefer to just skirt the issue of mutants' macro effects on society, there are *still* plenty of examples that can be used as models fro reviving UXM. For one thing, Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan's DEMO is a perfect example of a "normal people dealing with superpowers" series. It uses a slice of life approach, largely avoiding the matter of "good vs. evil". Everything is varying shades of grey... which fits the overall ethical compass of the current UU quite perfectly.

And hey! Whaddya know? The collected first series is available from the UC Store:
http://store.ultimatecentral.com/index.php?c=ult&n=4400&i=1401216218&x=Demo

If you haven't read it yet, and you're itching for more "real world" mutant stories, while the Powers That Be decide the fate of UXM, then I highly recommend you check it out.

Last edited:
Sweet! I, for one, look forward to reading it.

A taste, because I'm a shameless whore and it applies to the direction I feel mutants should go in the Ultimate Universe. The following speech by Dr. Strange Sr. in the late 90's at Empire State University would open my version of Ultimatum.

"In the opening pages of Common Sense Thomas Paine warned us about the blurred distinctions between society and government. 'Society is produced by our wants, and government by our wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. The one creates intercourse, the other creates distinctions. The first is our patron, the last a punisher'. We are rapidly approaching an unprecedented turning point in our history, where wants are negligible barricades to our growth and restraints of vice can no longer be suitably restrained. I see before me a generation of youth who have outlived the necessity of the social contract, yet who, out of benevolence and sympathy, still find unity and purpose in the shared community of being

We have spent generations finding ourselves yoked tighter and tighter, tethered to the rotting and bloated corpse that calls itself 'government'. For decades now, it has presumed itself to be the gatekeeper of our transcendence. It has placated us with words like 'superhumans', believing falsely that we do not know.

That we do not know this term is a blasphemy, a last gasp in the government's dying war against society; one final attempt to convince us that we are less than human, that we need those who are greater than human to govern us

They deride so many of you as 'mutants', as if that which arises naturally from our spirit is aberrant, a genetic fluke of nature; as if greatness only comes from that which is artificially engineered, from what their scalpels mold, from those that their few and chosen elect. It has tried to foster in our hearts that great lie which nourishes government and starves society: that we are born unequal, that we only earn equality through their approval; and they try to bait us through the promise that, through them, we can personally achieve something greater than equality. They thrive on competition, on the warring of individual against individual, fully knowing that competition itself will soon be an anachronism

You are all perfect. They would have you believe that "mutations" are merely the happenstances of random, natural selection. These are natural, but they are reflections of true, universal nature, a concept they can never fully understand, a concept they fear. Your powers, our powers, these conscious reflections of the mind, the soul, the personality, the motivations inside each of you, could not merely be happenstance. It is the willful manifestation of your very being. It is proof that our evolution, each and every one of us, is self-determined. Designations of above and below have no more meaning. Designations of structure have no meaning. It has become, merely, what we will it to be. When all things hold power, power ceases to be. When there is true equality, power ceases to be. You are stepping forward into a post-human world, where your limitations are only designated by how much you are willing to dream. These days are your chrysalis.

I'll leave you with prophecy, and promise. In the next half a century you will see either great war or great revolution - either war so intense as to obliterate the ground beneath your feet, leaving barren desert and suffocating order for time immemorial; or revolution so profound as to lift us all beyond our wildest expectations, to upend thousands upon thousands of years of precedent, stepping upward into a world post-economic, post-political, post-governmental, post-societal. Regardless, it will be a decision that rests wholly on the shoulders of your generation. They will say you hold the future in your hands, as they have said to every generation, and for once it will be wholly and unequivocally true. There is no mysticism in this omen, no sleight of hand, no magic. It is simply inevitability."

compound said:
Honestly, even if Marvel editorial would prefer to just skirt the issue of mutants' macro effects on society, there are *still* plenty of examples that can be used as models fro reviving UXM. For one thing, Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan's DEMO is a perfect example of a "normal people dealing with superpowers" series. It uses a slice of life approach, largely avoiding the matter of "good vs. evil". Everything is varying shades of grey... which fits the overall ethical compass of the current UU quite perfectly.

Interesting! I'll probably pick that up when my first paycheck drops. Or maybe I'll get v.2 of Casanova first.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that USM is actually USX4 in disguise.

We've got Kitty Pryde and Iceman to bring in all the mutants, and now Johnny Storm for Fantastic 4 stuff.

I would think that, with the complete u-turn of mutant relations and the no-change of Fantastic 4 (not one of them died), that both could easily continue from where they are. But since the strategy is to just jump to a moment when the effects of Ultimatum are no longer relevant, I blurgy blargy blig.

Well, what I mean is, I think there would be broader social implications for mutants. With more traditional super powers, it's like, you're either a scientist or a soldier, so the characters are already established in these pretty clear lines of career paths. But with mutations, anyone can be a mutant, and most of them aren't going to be like "Oh. I'm going to be a superhero now". I'd imagine most of them aren't even going to suddenly think "I need to get on this mutant rights bandwagon now!" They're going to apply their powers to whatever fields they're interested in. You would see film and music and all varieties of science radically altered. There's all the talk of mutants as the next step of evolution, but this is on a macro level, not a micro one. There's the potential in these guys to revolutionize the energy crisis, world food shortages, global warming, to completely upend any number of industries and in the process completely upend traditional economics and politics as we know it, not through any active sense of "mutant power" revolution. ****, just by existing they are revolutionary.

Except in the UU, mutants are not the next step in evolution, they were created by same mad scientist in the 40s, so there really shouldn't be revolution just by their existance.

You're making quite a few leaps of judgement there.

Quicksilver setting himself up as a new big-bad could work if handled by the right writer.

There's Magus and the technarchy, they could be re-worked as a computer virus that's developed a consciousness, that start out as a harmless neucense, but as they absorb more and more technology, gain the ability to jump to organic life. and specifically target mutants and super-humans for their enhanced abilities.

Now see Quicksilver been a villain is stupid because it runs counter to all the characterization he recieves.

Now I realize the most important aspect of X-Men is the themes of discrimiantion, but a good writer can balance characters and themes, look at Dark Knight. It seems like the 616 universe for example there is a deep debate between Xavier and Magneto about the approach one should take to promote mutant rights, in the UU, there is no debate because Magneto is pure evil, so siding with Xavier is a default position in the UU. One approach to characterization is more nuanced then the other. See wth good characterization you can reinforce a theme, like with Dark Knight.

With most of the major characters killed with no purpose in UXM, its harder to find characters you can indentifiy with to reinforce these themes. Themes are important, but if you don't have characters you can identify with, the themes can seem hollow.

I mean people on this thread are talking about a speech Xavier made early in UXM, that's good, but kinda irelevant, now that he was killed off and you can't use him anymore. He can't give similar speeches in a new UXM title, because he is dead.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back