Something we should probably ask Vaughan/Bendis About...

Goodwill

Well, I was reading New Mutants and got to you guys' favorite issue, 41. I read through it, knowing that Fury was the one responsible for killing off the boy... However, I read through it and picked up on something. If Fury were to be fully responsible why did Wolverine say that he located him by way of Cerebro? Isn't Chuck the only person that can use that? We've got a problem here...

Well, I think that he pays attention to the small details, especially in the UXM title. If he were to elaborate on something from Bendis' run, don't you think this would be something he would want to pick up on?

What probably happened was that the boy was located, and soon found out what he can do. Fury somehow found out about it, and sent Wolverine, knowing that Xavier wouldn't send him.

Yes, but how would Fury have known? Wolverine said that Xavier found him and that he had something to do with the murder... I don't think this sort of thing can go unanswered.

I always got the impression that Logan was working solely for Fury there. That said however, if for a moment we believe that Xavier is not politically motivated, we're at error with his character. I believe there is far more discourse between Fury and Xavier that is addressed in the books, and I think this should be addressed by vaughan.

Well, that's partially why I'm typing this up. If Xavier found the boy than why is Fury held responsible? So that the X-Men can get involved at the end of the arc?

Goodwill said:
Well, that's partially why I'm typing this up. If Xavier found the boy than why is Fury held responsible? So that the X-Men can get involved at the end of the arc?
Fury's responsible cuz he sent Wolverine to do the job.

And, while on the job, he mentioned that CHARLES XAVIER found him. That doesn't add up since, as Guij pointed out, both Fury and Xavier are in a constant state of disagreement. Beside, the politicians only speculated that it was Fury.

Goodwill said:
And, while on the job, he mentioned that CHARLES XAVIER found him. That doesn't add up since, as Guij pointed out, both Fury and Xavier are in a constant state of disagreement. Beside, the politicians only speculated that it was Fury.
Well, unless it was Xavier who sent Logan, which he would never send someone to kill somebody else, there's no other choice but Fury.

Well Xavier certainly doesn't want any anti_mutant feeling from the deaths caused by this mutation, and he could well have asked logan to kill the kid. of course, that is if logan did kill him. We know logan has a soft side, what if he didn't do it, what if he just said to the kid "hey, just get away from here, you'll figure a way to control these abilities". There are all manner of possibilities. But right now I do think that Xavier and Fury fell on common ground when dealing with a mutant threat, and made the best resolution available to them. Send the killing machine to kill the killing machine.

icemastertron said:
Well, unless it was Xavier who sent Logan, which he would never send someone to kill somebody else, there's no other choice but Fury.

How could you rule him out when we've got a thread discussion going on about him controlling his students? This doesn't add up and I'm seeing how you are so fixed on Fury when odds are against him right now.

Goodwill said:
How could you rule him out when we've got a thread discussion going on about him controlling his students? This doesn't add up and I'm seeing how you are so fixed on Fury when odds are against him right now.
I'm not ruling him out of the discussion. What I said is just a thought of mine, of what I think. Sorry if it sounded like something else.

Ice, you said that you don't think that Xavier would send someone to kill, however, all of the signs are pointing to him right now. The only reason why Fury came up was that the politians putting together the New Mutants had it out for him.

Compound and I were discussing this, and by "discussing" I mean that he rambles while he's high on caffeine and walnut overload bars while I project my thoughts to him through cortical osmosis.

Basically we agree that the ending of # 41 is meant to suggest that both Fury AND Xavier are responsible for sending Wolvie. If we're to take Xavier to be morally ambiguous, then he has no guilt about it -- he just doesn't want to be *perceived* as the guilty party.

It's a "hawks and doves" thing -- that kind of mercilessness is *expected* from Fury, so this mutual strategic agreement of Xavier and Fury's is carried out in Fury's name.

But even if we were to be considerate and give Xavier the benefit of the doubt about his basic goodness, it's a sure thing that Xavier tacitly acknwoledges the strategic necessaity of that kind of action, regardless of whether he approves of it *ethically*.

Compound added however that: "I don't know -- I think Fury implicitly knows -- and allows -- Xavier to mess with his head, with the understanding that Xavier will alert him to potential mutant threats, which is why he's so casual about lines like "You'll be in my thoughts... Hopefully not literally."... Because he knows that Chuck *will* be."

ourchair said:
Compound and I were discussing this, and by "discussing" I mean that he rambles while he's high on caffeine and walnut overload bars while I project my thoughts to him through cortical osmosis.

Basically we agree that the ending of # 41 is meant to suggest that both Fury AND Xavier are responsible for sending Wolvie. If we're to take Xavier to be morally ambiguous, then he has no guilt about it -- he just doesn't want to be *perceived* as the guilty party.

It's a "hawks and doves" thing -- that kind of mercilessness is *expected* from Fury, so this mutual strategic agreement of Xavier and Fury's is carried out in Fury's name.

But even if we were to be considerate and give Xavier the benefit of the doubt about his basic goodness, it's a sure thing that Xavier tacitly acknwoledges the strategic necessaity of that kind of action, regardless of whether he approves of it *ethically*.

Compound added however that: "I don't know -- I think Fury implicitly knows -- and allows -- Xavier to mess with his head, with the understanding that Xavier will alert him to potential mutant threats, which is why he's so casual about lines like "You'll be in my thoughts... Hopefully not literally."... Because he knows that Chuck *will* be."
I don't see any reference or implication that he thinks Xavier's messing with the President. The entire theory focuses on Fury.

Latest posts

Back