Spider-Man: Homecoming (News and Rumor Discussion)

Yes, Peter says Liz by name. The kid who played the bell boy in The Grand Budapest Hotel is playing Flash

Ned was in high school, and Asian, in The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon.

The good news is that this is the only film where he'll be in High School. Next film will be college with the one after that being post-college. Believe me, I want Harry and MJ. I'm dying for my favorite Marvel character to be done right, last two films she wasn't in them and before she was a weird Liz, MJ, and Gwen amalgam

Last edited:
Yes, Peter says Liz by name.
Cool, I missed that. But I looked up imdb and she is indeed. Also, the blonde girl is playing Betty Brant and Flash is also in it. So it looks like they have taken the whole supporting cast from his high school days and made them kids in high school. I feel better about that.

Ned was in high school, and Asian, in The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon.
Not quite. He was still an adult who worked for the Bugle. But he was Asian. They changed his name to Ned Lee.

But this Ned Leeds is actually just Ganke. He even drops a lego set when he sees Peter crawling on the ceiling. Which is strange but ultimately okay. Ganke is a great character.

The good news is that this is the only film where he'll be in High School. Next film will be college with the one after that being post-college.
I thought they said they were going to keep him in high school for as long as possible? I'm not sure how that will work with the MCU's real time chronology, though.

Believe me, I want Harry and MJ. I'm dying for my favorite Marvel character to be done right, last two films she wasn't in them and before she was a weird Liz, MJ, and Gwen amalgam
Yeah, I get that. I want Gwen, MJ, Harry, and Peter's friendship done well. The story of what the four of them go through is so moving and tragic. It's essentially the heart of Spider-Man for me. That's why I hate Sins Past and OMD so much.

Last edited:
I didn't see Flash. Is Liz the one they are staring at?

Ned Leeds was never in high school with Peter, he was a reporter at the Bugle.

And yes, Gwen, MJ, and Harry were all college friends. But he was only in high school for a few issues originally. The supporting cast in highschool were just Liz and Flash, plus the Daily Bugle crew: Jameson, Betty Brant (who he dated), Ned Leeds, and Frederick Foswell. And of course Aunt May.

Don't forget Jason, Sally Avril and Seymour. Seymour was in the original first issue. Just given a named some time later. Jason and Sally were in the "Untold Tails of Spider-Man." And the cast has a Jason and Sally and a couple of unnamed characters played by some kids.

Last edited:
Don't forget Jason, Sally Avril and Seymour. Seymour was in the original first issue. Just given a named some time later. Jason and Sally were in the "Untold Tails of Spider-Man." And the cast has a Jason and Sally and a couple of unnamed characters played by some kids.

I forgot about Sally and Seymour. Jason (and Tiny) were retcons from a long time later, as was Jessica Jones. And I'm sure there were others.

I wouldn't consider even Sally and Seymour as significant supporting cast. But you're right, they were recurring characters in the first 30 or so issues of Amazing Spider-Man while he was still in high school.

Last edited:
I forgot about Sally and Seymour. Jason (and Tiny) were retcons from a long time later, as was Jessica Jones. And I'm sure there were others.

I wouldn't consider even Sally and Seymour as significant supporting cast. But you're right, they were recurring characters in the first 30 or so issues of Amazing Spider-Man while he was still in high school.

Sally would be a little more significant because she was supporting cast member in the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon not to long ago.

This is as long as possible. Unless the next film takes place after Avengers 3 which wouldn't make sense.

C7uUa9jVwAAKVoo.jpg
C7uUbLTV4AIXZBO.jpg
C7uUbYuVYAAqOPD.jpg
C7uUbmgVAAAowLR.jpg

Last edited:
[video=youtube_share;Glpcj-oQEN0]https://youtu.be/Glpcj-oQEN0[/video]

It's almost like they hate money

Holy crap, does that figure mask-squint?!?

It DOES! Someone buy this for E!

The trailer looks great.

However you will never convince me that a squinting mask is necessary. It is so stupid.

[video=youtube_share;Glpcj-oQEN0]https://youtu.be/Glpcj-oQEN0[/video]

It's almost like they hate money

I very much doubt it'll end with the sequel. The fact they did exactly as fans wanted and brought Spidey into the larger MCU world is likely going to result in noticeably larger revenues compared to previous Sony Spidey films (hopefully). The question remains regarding cost versus return. How much is each studio putting into production costs? How much is each earning on back end? Does the production sharing costs offset the sharing of profits? Well, that remains to be seen.

I do think there is a large issue of cooperation between Marvel Studios, Disney, and Sony, which is likely a huge pain in the butt to deal with compared to films they make wholly produced and controlled by them. There was an INSANE amount of legal wrangling that had to be done to make this work.

Further, if I had to guess, the reason Sony is moving forward with their Venom/Silver Sable & Black Cat films is likely due to fact they CAN'T create a larger Spidey universe with Holland's Spidey at center due to creative control Marvel Studios have been alotted over character in these films, so are doing this lame Spideyless Spidey-verse with the Venom and Black Cat/Silver Sable movies. It's an odd approach that seeks inherently doomed to failure, but oh well. Since Marvel Studios/Feige are so busy with their own Marvel Studios MCU films, they simply don't have the time or personnel to focus additionally on steering Sony's other Spidey-related character films to work in the larger MCU universe. If I had to guess it's likely due specifically to no oversight by Feige or Marvel Studios on those projects.

Then again they can streamline the process some, too, by creating a studio arm to work directly
With Sony on their projects to align with the MCU stuff, should they choose to. Really comes down to profits and critical response, hopefully both of which will be impressive for Homecoming and motivate the powers that be to keep this train rolling.

The trailer looks great.

However you will never convince me that a squinting mask is necessary. It is so stupid.

In Civil War, Peter said that his powers "dialed up his senses to eleven" and so he wore goggles to help him focus and not take in too much. The squinting mask helps deal with that. I think that makes sense.

Hmmmm, this is interesting:

Additionally, the report suggests that while Sony is extremely happy with Marvel's creative input and direction on Homecoming, they might not be particularly pleased with their spending habits, seemingly adding fuel to the fire that this unprecedented partnership may be heading toward a premature divorce.

Seems Marvel were happy to spend Sony's money, lol:

Speaking of spending, remember last year, and Gwyneth Paltrow's will-she-or-won't-she role in Captain America: Civil War? At the time, I was the one who said she wasn't in it, which was undoubtedly for reasons due to story bloat, but also at least in part because her Marvel contract is up and they'd have to pay through the nose to get her back, even for a cameo. Well, Marvel isn't the footing the bill for Homecoming, so guess who's back? That's right, Pepperony lives as Pepper Potts returns to the MCU, and don't think Sony hasn't noticed they're the ones on the hook for Goop's day rate.

And that has been a problem for Sony, who has been a bit snippy about the cash flow on Homecoming. There's been some sticker-shock about the price tag on a Marvel movie—remember that Tom Rothman, who hates superheroes and has previously short-changed the X-Men movies at Fox, is in charge at Sony—and with Sony announcing plans for a Spider-Man universe separate from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I do wonder if this marriage might already be over. But first we're going to get a super fun Spider-Man movie out of it, with hopefully much improved lighting.

That's gangster, lol.

So maybe it will only be Spider-Man - Homecoming and it's already contracted sequel. Crap.

Last edited:
Holland is in for six movies
1. Civil War
2. Homecoming
3. Homecoming sequel
4. Infinity War
5. Probably a cameo
6. Probably a cameo

It looks to me like this is a Rent-A-Spidey

Ugh. I hope Spider-Man: Homecoming makes a billion dollars and Venom makes six dollars and then Sony will have to stop being stupid.

Latest posts

Back