Spider-Man Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane series discussion *spoilers*

Basically it's all about Mary Jane trying to get it on with Spider-Man. So each issue, she gets another round of plastic surgery, and sleeps with guys with huge schlongs in preparation for Spider-Meat. It's pretty damn hot.

So it's Ally McBeal in comics? D:

:lol: :lol:

In all honesty, it's just a basic teen-romance-drama thing about Mary Jane. It starts off about her trying to get Spidey to go the prom with her, and continues on its soap opera way. I honestly do not know why I like it, only that I do, and am not sure how to even tell you what it's about or anything. Someone else would probably be better at this than I.

Honestly? This is one of my favorite books that Marvel is publishing right now. Of course, it took me a few months to get ready to admit that I read this, much less enjoy it, but now I'm able to go into my local LCS and buy the trades/issues and not feel ashamed. I mean, the harsh stares and cold tone of the clerk can get pretty rough though.

Basically, this book is Spider-man without the fighting. Essentially, take out all of the dumb supervillains (who still appear, albeit with far less importance) and have it told from Mary Jane's perspective, and you have this book. Thing is, when I go back to read all of my dumb, Essential Spider-man things, I don't really care about the Rhino breaking out of jail again. I usually skip through and see what's going on with Peter and Gwen, Peter and MJ or Peter and his friends. And that's what this is; A girl who's dealing with boys and all of that Superhero shenanigans.

The Mary Jane in this book is far more likable than the one in USM or the Film, which is always a plus. We finally have the MJ that we know and love back. Gone is the selfish little drama queen that writers love making her into. Instead we have a likable, but still believable, Mary Jane who's fun to read about.

One of my favorite aspects of the book is that if you didn't already know, you aren't told that Peter Parker is Spider-man. I like that aspect, because as said before, it's told from the perspective of a teenage girl, and to her, Peter and Spider-man are are two distinctly different personalities. Sometimes you just want to yell at her and try and make her realise the mistakes she's making, but that just makes the book better. She's so star-stricken with Spider-man that she completely over-looks Peter Parker and blocks out the possibility that they could be the same person. It's good writing. And it's worth picking up. I have most of the issues, trades and the first hardcover and I reread them regularly.

Basically it's all about Mary Jane trying to get it on with Spider-Man. So each issue, she gets another round of plastic surgery, and sleeps with guys with huge schlongs in preparation for Spider-Meat. It's pretty damn hot.

And best of all, she's underage.

So it's Ally McBeal in comics? D:

No. Because Mary Jane eats.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly? This is one of my favorite books that Marvel is publishing right now. Of course, it took me a few months to get ready to admit that I read this, much less enjoy it, but now I'm able to go into my local LCS and buy the trades/issues and not feel ashamed. I mean, the harsh stares and cold tone of the clerk can get pretty rough though.

Basically, this book is Spider-man without the fighting. Essentially, take out all of the dumb supervillains (who still appear, albeit with far less importance) and have it told from Mary Jane's perspective, and you have this book. Thing is, when I go back to read all of my dumb, Essential Spider-man things, I don't really care about the Rhino breaking out of jail again. I usually skip through and see what's going on with Peter and Gwen, Peter and MJ or Peter and his friends. And that's what this is; A girl who's dealing with boys and all of that Superhero shenanigans.

The Mary Jane in this book is far more likable than the one in USM or the Film, which is always a plus. We finally have the MJ that we know and love back. Gone is the selfish little drama queen that writers love making her into. Instead we have a likable, but still believable, Mary Jane who's fun to read about.

One of my favorite aspects of the book is that if you didn't already know, you aren't told that Peter Parker is Spider-man. I like that aspect, because as said before, it's told from the perspective of a teenage girl, and to her, Peter and Spider-man are are two distinctly different personalities. Sometimes you just want to yell at her and try and make her realise the mistakes she's making, but that just makes the book better. She's so star-stricken with Spider-man that she completely over-looks Peter Parker and blocks out the possibility that they could be the same person. It's good writing. And it's worth picking up. I have most of the issues, trades and the first hardcover and I reread them regularly.

Great summary, Wade Wilson. :)

'Tis a fine summary indeed! Much better than I could've put it. It is the best Spidey title being published at the moment. :D

Last edited:
Wade, that was a VERY awesome description of it. While you get harsh stares, I will put up with the sneers of "oh, of COURSE she's buying it, she's a GURL."

and Bass, I think I can handle the soap opera, as long as it's good soap opera. I'm admittedly a shoujo-manga girl at some level (though I'd rather pick up something like MARS instead of the retch-inducing Hot Gimmick).

Ourchair, I'm just going to ignore you :p

And...I do watch Bold and the Beautiful at least once a month on cable. I tell myself it's because one of the characters looks like David Bowie, and that the new generation are better actors. But I know it's really because I can't stop watching the train wreck in lingerie that is Brooke, who sleeps with everyone (including her daughter's husband, who really was her ex-boyfriend) and absolutely cannot decide if she's a good guy or bad guy.

...*hides face in hands*

The funny thing is, when I watch 24, I'm reminded of that show!

...*slinks away to buy the comic*

From Lying in the Guttes at CBR on possible cancellation:

SPIDER-MAN HATES BEING CANCELLED

Even though both Tom Beland and Jamie Rich are being considered to take over "Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane," it may well be that the title is cancelled before a decision is made.

Krikey - maybe they could use this as a way to encourage interest in the title...

FROM WW PHILLY!!!

TERRY MOORE OF STRANGERS IN PARADISE (the greatest romance comic of all time) WILL BE TAKING OVER SPIDER-MAN LOVES MARY JANE!!!

When it's mentioned this off-handed* and casually, you know it's true.

*That's not the only thing that's being off-handed, if you know what I mean! Hi-oh!

No, it was actually just meant as a joke, about how we can be so A.D.D.; obsessed with one thing, upset about its demise, and then immediately on to something else with not another thought on what came before. Blasting taft seemed funniest to me: "Nooooo! SMLMJ is gone! Oh well, I'm gonna go jagoff."

But it's not gone! Hey!

Terry Moore, eh? If DSF is to be believed (and he is) this is a very good thing....

McKeever and Hahn's last issue was everything I wanted it to be. It should've been the series' end, if not for the fact that they still haven't brought Norman into play like they hinted at two issues ago. Felicia got brushed aside pretty quickly and there was no Flash, but I'm alright with that.

Here's hoping I still want to pick up this book after Terry Moore takes over.

Issue:
5/5

Series:
5/5

What he said.

A fitting end for McKeever's run.

Any word on whether Terry Moore is doing the art as well? or is this new guy sticking around for longer?

Latest posts

Back