Squadron Supreme (2006) series discussion (spoilers)

I got Number 4...... it wasn't that great, the othe 3 issues have been better
This one was pretty much the 'origin' for the unknown girl (can't remeber her name).
But they've kinda stopped tieing the spaceship crashing or going through the sky, to the character's now, i liked that with the fish girl, and the speedster

Inertia is her name. I thought the origin was good, if not a little cliche. But what superhero origin isn't, really. And it seem to fit.

There were a few seeds planted in this issue - specifically, Emil talking to Mark about world domination. And Mark didn't seem completely against the idea.

Emil is an evil sono***un. I'm interested to see what his ultimate goal is as it relates to the SS.

E said:
Inertia is her name. I thought the origin was good, if not a little cliche. But what superhero origin isn't, really. And it seem to fit.
I didn't really think of it as a origin, more like just what she went thro as a kid and why shes kinda screwed in the head...... now a days that seems to happen eveyday!!

So far, I am enjoying the series. IT definitely has a slower pace than some other offerings, but I am not having a problem with that. I like the characters and the artwork, and the "what if" feel to the whole concept (what if superpowered beings... a few at least...were integrated into the "real world"..) I also like the ...ambiguities... built into many of the characters.

That being said, I didn't really care for the (to me) preachy tone of the African adventure. Felt like a big set up, with little payoff - action essentially comes to a halt so the "African Super Team" can deliver a lecture. And as they were lecturing, thought it really odd that no one asked why it took them so VERY LONG to stop the murderous madman's rampage if they resented outside interference (The "we were trying to figure out a subtle way to do it" explanation seemed weak to me, given the atrocities being committed!). Not trying to stir up controversy here, and I realize politics are an element to this series, and have been all along... just saying that in this case, it felt very heavyhanded to me.

As to the "more mature" content...I find that tricky. Far too often, I think, cursing, sex and gore are made part of a story, simply because they "can be". And clearly, there are audiences for each, for their own sake. This is cliche, I suppose, but if it honestly enhances the story in some way, I am fine with it, but I am also suspect of it, as I think it can substitute for really good storytelling (Oooh...lets have them curse and then lets show some guts spattering across the page...yeah, that is really EDGY! That is really dark! Ooh... LOL).

Sorry - undercaffeinated this morning and I think this post shows it. *S* But I would say that so far it has been a good read and that if you liked the early offerings with these characters, you will enjoy this.

Shadow

Newsarama said:
All the reinventing has apparently paid off for Deodato, who has a Marvel exclusive contract that extends through 2010. Having just come off story arcs on high-profile comics like Amazing Spider-Man and New Avengers, the artist will next be seen as a penciler on the Ultimates Annual coming out in August.

And now comes the news that he's the new penciler on Squadron Supreme starting with issue #8 in October, reuniting him with Amazing Spider-Man writer J. Michael Straczynski.

Yep, I wasn't really a fan of Gary Frank, but I found his better than Deodato. I'm glad I dropped this title.

SQDSUP008_COVER_400_light_copy.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with you guys, the series are weaker than Supreme Power. The nudity can be easily done without. Now that they're in public, Amphibian and Power Princess walking around naked isn't exactly the good PR they want to show to the people. The lack of swearing is only weird for some characters, but I found it way too overused in the MAX imprints, especially in the Nighthawk limited series. The gore? It depends. I think it would be too much to see The Voice being ripped apart without the silhouttes, but it was effective during the battle with Redstone back in Supreme Power. The sheer amount of blood he shed made us hate the government even more for letting him go.

So far though the weakest SS I've read was the Hyperion limited series. First of all, I wasn't into the story, and I found it strange to be considered MAX since there was nothing in the entirety of the series except for some swearing that would make it adults-only.

Ice said:
I find Deodato's art better than Frank's.

You didn't see the Hyperion-Doctor Spectrum fight. That was amazing. I loved those pages, with the little touches with all the elephants dying etc.

But yes, they're both alright artists, but not really my favourites.

Frank is good, but Deodato is better. Can't wait for this.

OH GOD DAMN IT! I FRIGGIN HATE DEODATO!

aaaaaaaaaaw! they got like... the anti-gary frank! clean lines vs. loose lines! damn it!

MY FAVORITE BOOK... RUINED!

on a brighter note, issue 5 ruled. cliques are forming! CLIQUES I SAY!

Man, this series is still going? I dropped it at Supreme Power #17 when I realized JMS had no overall plan, he was just treading water and setting new records for decompressing.

I mean, 18 issues just to create a team? Thats ridiculous.

see, i liked it better when it was more intrigue than action. not that i don't like it now. and i think taking things slowly is the best way to show that you have a larger plan. we know this is gonna be about superman taking over the world, but it wouldnt make sense if out of no where he just went evil, it has to be gradual, so the reader hardly notices when he steps over the line.

Hmm.. If the story actually goes somewhere cool (Like President Hyperion), then I may pick it up in trades. It just feels like JMS used all his good realistic-superhero team ideas up in Rising Stars, which was great.

I'm skeptical though. Let me know if it turns out to be any good.

i mean, you bought up to issuse 17 and didn't like it, while it was my favorite book.

so you'll probably disagree with my future opinions as well.

i loved 18, and while i thought that the newer series was weaker than the old, its because i feel it being a tad rushed. so you might like it more actually! it realyl is more of an action book than the last one: at the end of this issue, Redstone agreed to work with the Chinese (unshown) super group to fight the Squadron. So big fun time should be coming soon.

Ultimate MJ said:
Man, this series is still going? I dropped it at Supreme Power #17 when I realized JMS had no overall plan, he was just treading water and setting new records for decompressing.

I mean, 18 issues just to create a team? Thats ridiculous.

Semi off-topic - did you read the original Squadron Supreme by Mark Gruenwald? Because he's following many of the same themes...yeah, it's decompressed, but it's also much more detailed that way. I like it.

No, I didnt read the original... It look s interesting, I may try to find it at the library.

I just read #5 (I think...the one where redstone goes to the chinese at the end), and I havent read 1-4, but it felt like a total ripoff of the Ultimates. Shadowy goverment superteam thinks it knows what best and gets involved in the middle east, the rest of the world prepares its own superhuman response...

Anyone else feel this way?

Ultimate MJ said:
No, I didnt read the original... It look s interesting, I may try to find it at the library.

I just read #5 (I think...the one where redstone goes to the chinese at the end), and I havent read 1-4, but it felt like a total ripoff of the Ultimates. Shadowy goverment superteam thinks it knows what best and gets involved in the middle east, the rest of the world prepares its own superhuman response...

Anyone else feel this way?

You have to know that the original Squadron Supreme had that same concept which was done decades ago before the Ultimates, so the similarities are unavoidable.

cmdrjanjalani said:
You have to know that the original Squadron Supreme had that same concept which was done decades ago before the Ultimates, so the similarities are unavoidable.

While it's dated terribly, and wasn't exactly perfect to begin with, the original Squadron Supreme series was pretty much the FIRST comic book to show superheroes taking over the earth. Yes, even the beloved Authority weren't the first.

hmmm... Looks like I really need to read the original before commenting any more on this series.

Sounds like a good series(the original)!

Ultimate MJ said:
hmmm... Looks like I really need to read the original before commenting any more on this series.

Sounds like a good series(the original)!

Like was said earlier it's extremely dated, but if you can keep in mind that it was pushing new territory and story ideas and that other books have done the same things a little better since then, it's enjoyable.

Latest posts

Back