Star Trek (IDW) comic series

I love crime dramas. These movies did that very well. The first two are incredibly well made films and are perfectly valid interpretations. I just don't care for them due to the choices with the character they have made. They want to be realistic hard hitting crime dramas but they have a guy dressed as a bat running around so they can't be. That scenario is completely ludicrous.

That's incorrect. Again, the source material presents the character of Batman as just that. Doesn't make that ludicrous for a film to adapt that with a more grounded setting. In fact it makes the idea MORE relevant and believable, more relatable and understandable, than the over the top, goofy 1960's version or the Burton and Schumacher films which had elements of that campiness.

Then there's the marketing where they take the focus off of Batman and heavily focus on the villains who ARE realistic. They're proud of that accomplishment so they show it off and spend less time showing off the titular character.

Jesus... Why do you think they did that? Couldn't have been due to the fact Batman had already been introduced and established in Batman Begins, could it? Couldn't be that the general audience was already familiar with Batman, could it? Couldn't be that they were appealing to what the audiences were curious about and wanted to see more of (Joker and Two-Face, and later Bane and Catwoman, since those versions were completely new and mysterious to the audience before the films were released), could it?

Yeah, terrible idea to market intelligently and focus on what the audience is hungry for and curious about.

And you're really going to harp on the marketing? Man, you're reaching. As I said, there was nothing wrong with the marketing. Stop thinking so one-dimensionally and maybe you'll see that.

Furthermore, focusing on the film itself, you don't mention that the film focuses more on the villains than Batman, because it doesn't. Batman is in the VAST majority of the second film's (and all three films') scenes.

So again, tell me how they're embarrassed to be making a Batman movie?

They've made a Batman who only broods. There's little light in him which, for me, makes him less human.

He broods a lot, sure, but that's what the Batman from the comics is known for (at least for the past 30+ years). Why do you keep overlooking that and not addressing it? Perhaps because it'd work against your point?

Makes him less human? Should he be a happy, go-lucky guy who's all smiles? His parents were murdered before his eyes when he was a child. He lives in a cesspool of a city. He vows to train himself and return to make that city a better place. He put himself through hell to travel the world to acquire that training and skills.

A dour attitude makes perfect sense for the guy given his background. I guess the films made the mistake of using a more realistic examination of his psychology and attitude, given his background, in your mind.

He's always down in the dumps and is very "poor me".

The only time he acted like that was in his college years when he planned to shoot Joe Chill, when Rachel slapped some sense into him in the first film, at the end of the second film, when Rachel died, which continued towards the start of the third film with him as a recluse, and mid way through the third film when Bane broke his back and he was trapped in the underground prison.

And you know what? Everytime he overcame that attitude to better himself. Welcome to the concept of a character arc. Happens quite often in the comics the trilogy was drawn from, as well, which yet again, you ignore. Read Knightfall and see how long Batman was "down in the dumps".

He's not a character I enjoy watching because until the end of the third film there's no turn around for him which makes the whole film, especially The Dark Knight, very boring to me. Everything around Batman is great but much like The Amazing Spider-Man the film fails to great the character who matters right. There's your reason.

And again, you're wrong. I mean, you may not enjoy watching it, which mystifies me, but that's your opinion. But you're completely off base saying they didn't get the character "right".

You also fail to acknowledge or accept that perfect translations from comic page to screen won't work for the general audience. It may work for some hardcore comic fans, but that's not going to be enough to have the film make lots of money at the box office.

Let me ask you, did the Batman 1966 show get Bruce Wayne/Batman right? What about the Burton/Schumacher films of the 1980's and 1990's? Did Nolan's trilogy do a better or worse job than those?

I'd say the animated series from the 1990's did it best, but lets focus on just the live-action interpretations for now (we'll ignore the 1940's and 1950's serials since those certainly didn't get him right).

Nolan's films were great. You can think differently, but your reasons are reaches at best.

My one main complaint with Nolan's films was the combat/fighting. Due to the restrictive movement of the suits used in all the movies since Burton's and weight of the suits, they haven't pulled off Batman's extensive and amazing fighting abilities onscreen yet. All just close up quick cuts, which is lazy and underwhelming.

I'm hoping Snyder at least does that right. Use professionally trained martial artists as stand-ins for long shots, along with wire work, and do some stuff reminiscent of the Batman - Arkham game series. THAT'S how Batman needs to fight onscreen. That's pretty much the one major failing of Nolan's trilogy, and ALL Batman films so far (even the Animated Series)... they just haven't captured what Batman is truly capable of physically. He's one of the best fighters in the DC Universe... its time they translate that to the films properly.

That's incorrect.

This is why I don't argue anymmore. Next to no one can accept someone else's opinion and then give their's. It's always "you're wrong and my opinion is actually facts". You asked, I answered. We can finally move on. How about them Star Trek comics!

Last edited:
This is why I don't argue anymmore. Next to no one can accept someone else's opinion and then give their's. It's always "you're wrong and my opinion is actually facts". You asked, I answered.

You answered with unsubstantiated blanket statements and exaggerations. And you wonder why I pick at your points?

We can finally move on. How about them Star Trek comics!

I like them. Hence making this thread. :)

Latest posts

Back