Star Trek Into Darkness discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate Star Trek Into Darkness?

• Total voters
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Didn't anyone see it yet? I thought it was better than the first one. I'm disappointed I spoiled myself but still didn't find the one reveal to be cheap or less exciting. Cumberbatch was brilliant. The "I love you, man" moment by Kirk and Spock was great as well. I thought most of the cast was used effectively except for Karl Urban. For some reason he annoyed me in this for the most part. Hopefully on the next one they will expand on more of the crew's relationships. Can someone please explain to me the fuss about the Klingon's new look? I still think they look like Klingons and not more towards the Enemy Mine aliens. Poll, spoilers? When?

Didn't anyone see it yet? I thought it was better than the first one. I'm disappointed I spoiled myself but still didn't find the one reveal to be cheap or less exciting. Cumberbatch was brilliant. The "I love you, man" moment by Kirk and Spock was great as well. I thought most of the cast was used effectively except for Karl Urban. For some reason he annoyed me in this for the most part. Hopefully on the next one they will expand on more of the crew's relationships. Can someone please explain to me the fuss about the Klingon's new look? I still think they look like Klingons and not more towards the Enemy Mine aliens. Poll, spoilers? When?

I'm going to mention or allude to some spoilers so jump over this if you haven't seen it and have somehow managed to stay unspoiled.

Yes I also saw it. It was decent, though I don't think it was better than the first for a couple of reasons: 2009's ST set the tone, feel, look, attitude, and genius idea of creating an alternate reality universe for this new series to occur in while retaining that element of Old Spock from the original universe, thereby giving both old fans and new something to latch onto besides all the other great stuff. 2009 ST's only downside was the ridiculous amount of lens flare. Jesus, JJ, enough's enough, you way overdid it.

Into Darkness was fun, sometimes dark, great action, etc, but still seems like a slightly paler shadow of 2009's movie in most respects, as well as majorly so in terms of trying to basically mimic Wrath of Khan unsuccessfully in most respects. Sure, the effects were better, and Cumby was great as the character he played, but not brain-searingly awesome like Ledger as the Joker or RDJ as Iron Man. He did a great job of adding weight and darkness to the role, but he didn't make it his own. Montalban is still the "real" Khan.

Also, I found Carol Marcus to be an almost completely pointless character. Granted there was some technical stuff she did with the torpedoes, but that could've been accomplished just as easily by Chekov, and the family stuff with her dad was essentially unnecessary. They could've done a much better job of establishing and exploring her character.

That said, overall it was still a great summer popcorn movie, and overall I enjoyed it. I'd probably give it a 7/10, and will definitely buy it on DVD when it comes out as I'm a fan of the new Trek verse, so much so I even regularly check out IDW's series which fits into the new verse and plan on checking out the video game (which has received crappy reviews but I'm dedicated).

I liked how it ended, with the Enterprise officially starting its 5 year voyage, and look forward to seeing how a third movie does in terms of story. Since Spock didn't die I'm hoping we won't get a rehash of the search (though its possible they'll set that up early in a third and contain that plot in one movie), and I'm really hoping we don't see them go back in time to mid 1980's Earth to save some frigging whales. I'd really prefer they either do a completely original story (unlikely), or adapt an original series episode. It's also entirely possible Khan will rear his not so ugly head again since he was alive and in cryo at the end of this one. We'll see.

Also, I found Carol Marcus to be an almost completely pointless character. Granted there was some technical stuff she did with the torpedoes, but that could've been accomplished just as easily by Chekov, and the family stuff with her dad was essentially unnecessary. They could've done a much better job of establishing and exploring her character.

There was exactly one reason Carol Marcus was in this movie, and it was the scene where she told Kirk to turn around. Although, that shot would have been funnier if it was Chekov. :lol:

I got really excited when Kirk
teamed up with Khan against Admiral Robocop because it felt like something new. I'm not that familiar with the old Star Trek but all the rehashing even started to annoy me.

I thought it was a decent movie but it lacked the enthusiasm and excitement of the first.

I really thought the movie was a hollow enterprise (ba-dum-dump-tsssh).

I'm surprised how some people dislike this one but still like the first. To me, they're both as bad as each other, with coincidence ruling instead of conflict, things happen just as they need to. I liked the switch of Kirk in the engine room, and I liked Khan and Kirk teaming up, but any heat or excitement this film has comes from WRATH OF KHAN. It doesn't generate anything of its own. It's like a mad-lib. But the acting worked, and the special effects were excellent.

I really thought the movie was a hollow enterprise (ba-dum-dump-tsssh).

I'm surprised how some people dislike this one but still like the first. To me, they're both as bad as each other, with coincidence ruling instead of conflict, things happen just as they need to. I liked the switch of Kirk in the engine room, and I liked Khan and Kirk teaming up, but any heat or excitement this film has comes from WRATH OF KHAN. It doesn't generate anything of its own. It's like a mad-lib. But the acting worked, and the special effects were excellent.

I'm still waiting on your screenplay that will save cinema from itself.

Benedict Cumberbatch was wasted in this. All he did for most of the movie was stand around looking disgusted at everyone. He could have been literally any enhanced character and we would have had the exact same movie. Hell, we could have come pretty close by cutting him all together and just having the admiral have set the whole thing up. That probably would have been more satisfying because then we wouldn't have switched villains for the last twenty minutes.

And the Khan blood thing was terrible.

Having said all that the acting was excellent and I did enjoy myself, this just felt like someone making star trek who only knew what names to use instead of being familiar with it.

Oh, and I don't like the Klingon redesign, but that's a pretty minor gripe.

Last edited:

I'm glad I'm not a Trekkie. Then again, I thought I knew more than I did about the franchise.... Klingon design doesn't bug me and I don't see enough similarities to Trek II as some some people are saying. It looked good, felt good, was good. Best blockbuster of the summer so far. Especially loved the double antagonist angle. No one was directly (directly) working for anyone else. It was two villains. Reminded me of "The Dark Knight" with Joker amongst the other organized crime leaders only the latter made a stronger presence here.

You don't see the similarities? It's the same plot!

Also - I thought the Klingons looked fine.

So, this was alright. I didn't hate it but I hated aspects of it. I don't have much new to add that hasn't been said already. I agree with Bass with how it felt like a "mad-lib" and generated nothing on its own. I think that is an apt description for how I felt about it. I thought at first it was how there is one hollow action sequence tacked on after another and another through the entire film. It had no soul. It started out good but tapered off as the movie went on. Hated the Khan blood bit. Hated the switch from Spock to Kirk. I found the "KHAAAAAAAN!!!" moment a bit cringe worthy. Disliked the switch in villain. The acting and effects were great. I liked that they fleshed Khan out a bit more and almost made him sympathetic. I also dug the giant black evil enterprise but think the guy driving it should have had a goatee. :D

Five stars. A fantastic and fun movie beginning to end. Tons of stuff going on to think about and be entertained by. I loved it.

As good if not better than the first "new" Star Trek movie.

If I had to complain about something it would be that Kirk's resurrection was too predictable. I was worried they would give him Khan powers or something - glad they didn't do anything stupid with it.

I wish I could go back and see it again. Maybe I will once it's just in regular IMAX.

If I had to complain about something it would be that Kirk's resurrection was too predictable. I was worried they would give him Khan powers or something - glad they didn't do anything stupid with it.

I was worried about that too as soon as Kirk opened his eyes. Though, they could do something with it later.

You don't see the similarities? It's the same plot!

Not exactly the same. There's obviously some similarities setting up scenes but the plot, although not original, isn't the same.

Also - I thought the Klingons looked fine.
Thank you. People are making me think I'm going crazy.

I found the "KHAAAAAAAN!!!" moment a bit cringe worthy.
I liked him screaming Khan but thought it was out of nowhere considering Spock could/should(?) have thought Kahn was dead at this point. They obviously threw it in as a nod and to make his reappearance at that very moment more dramatic.

Disliked the switch in villain.
I didn't feel like the villain was "switched". I thought it made the story more complex pitting the enterprise against two antagonists.

The acting and effects were great. I liked that they fleshed Khan out a bit more and almost made him sympathetic. I also dug the giant black evil enterprise but think the guy driving it should have had a goatee. :D
:lol:

I liked him screaming Khan but thought it was out of nowhere considering Spock could/should(?) have thought Kahn was dead at this point. They obviously threw it in as a nod and to make his reappearance at that very moment more dramatic.

It felt super forced to me.

I didn't feel like the villain was "switched". I thought it made the story more complex pitting the enterprise against two antagonists.

Idk. It felt like, too much? Khan should have been enough of an adversary. They could have made Adm Marcus a prick without making him a homicidal lunatic. I think part of my problem was that it felt like everything had to be big action. It was more like a die hard movie in space than star trek movie.

I didn't feel like the villain was "switched" either. It just seemed exactly like it was - two villains, one of which wasn't apparent until events unfolded.

I just realized that Sulu was barely in this movie at all. I mean Uhura, Bones, and Chekov weren't in it much either, but Sulu had basically no screen time.

I just realized that Sulu was barely in this movie at all. I mean Uhura, Bones, and Chekov weren't in it much either, but Sulu had basically no screen time.

Good point, I think I remember him in like 2 or 3 scenes of very quick appearances. In fact I can only remember him having one line telling Kirk the Enterprise was ready to go. Poor Sulu.

He did get to threaten Khan (I remember Bones being impressed) but then the threat was basically pointless and Sulu was put back in the cupboard after Kirk returned.

It would be nice if the next movie gave the others more to do.

He did get to threaten Khan (I remember Bones being impressed) but then the threat was basically pointless and Sulu was put back in the cupboard after Kirk returned.

It would be nice if the next movie gave the others more to do.

Oh yeah, that's true. I forgot that part.

Latest posts

Back