Star Wars: Rogue One (first Star Wars spin off film rumors/news)

E

Excelsior Club
This sounds neat.

We've heard the 2016 Star Wars spin-off movie is about the group of people out to pull off the ultimate heist in a galaxy far, far away.

What the group is trying to steal is one of the most important linchpins in Star Wars history — they are out to steal the plans for the first Death Star.

That's right, the story is set during the A New Hope era. However, it's not the Rebel Alliance as we'd all assumed.

As rumor has it, the story follows a group of bounty hunters who were hired for the job — think the Seven Samurai or Suicide Squad meets Ocean's Eleven in the world of Star Wars.

As mentioned, no one at Disney or Lucasfilm would comment on this. Several sources with inside information on the Star Wars universe acknowledged this was possible and others suggest it has a few strings of truth, but might not be the whole truth.

Here's what does make sense.

This story is one of the most important in the history of Star Wars.

It's literally the event that sets in motion the path of Luke Skywalker.

Re: Rumor about the first Star Wars spin off film

I really like this idea, but is it just me or is Boba Fett the least interesting bounty hunter? Like, even including the old EU.

I really like this idea, but is it just me or is Boba Fett the least interesting bounty hunter? Like, even including the old EU.

I think there are far less interesting Star Wars bounty hunter characters... IG-88 for one. I mean, it's an assassin robot with no personality. It's like a really boring Terminator. Plus Bossk, who's only been made interesting through spin off material or a few appearances in The Clone Wars cartoon.

Boba Fett was interesting until the Prequels for a very simple reason: the Prequels ruined the mystery of the character's identity by establishing his backstory along with Jango... and it was boring. It pales in comparison to the many possibilities if left to the imagination and not having the question answered.

I think there are far less interesting Star Wars bounty hunter characters... IG-88 for one. I mean, it's an assassin robot with no personality. It's like a really boring Terminator. Plus Bossk, who's only been made interesting through spin off material or a few appearances in The Clone Wars cartoon.

Boba Fett was interesting until the Prequels for a very simple reason: the Prequels ruined the mystery of the character's identity by establishing his backstory along with Jango... and it was boring. It pales in comparison to the many possibilities if left to the imagination and not having the question answered.

Which is just another reason the prequels sucked. They relied on rehashing old characters/"revealing" origins rather than developing new characters. The same can be said about Yoda in the prequels.

Really? Outside of Jango Fett IG-88 is my favorite in the old EU and Bossk is my favorite in the current. I also thought that the prequels and The Clone Wars actually started to finally make Boba Fett interesting because before he was just some dude in a lame costume. No backstory or anything interesting about him in the slightest. It's like how everyone loved Daryl on The Walking Dead but he actually really boring and uninteresting and only recently became a good character when they started dealing with his relationship with his brother (who is easily the best character the show has had period), his criminal/abusive history, and him actually finally showing some emotion and crying. I( mean don't get me wrong, the prequels sucked but at least they established a lot of backstory for stuff.

Last edited:
Really? Outside of Jango Fett IG-88 is my favorite in the old EU and Bossk is my favorite in the current. I also thought that the prequels and The Clone Wars actually started to finally make Boba Fett interesting because before he was just some dude in a lame costume. No backstory or anything interesting about him in the slightest. It's like how everyone loved Daryl on The Walking Dead but he actually really boring and uninteresting and only recently became a good character when they started dealing with his relationship with his brother (who is easily the best character the show has had period), his criminal/abusive history, and him actually finally showing some emotion and crying. I( mean don't get me wrong, the prequels sucked but at least they established a lot of backstory for stuff.

Yeah, I'm not saying leaving things a mystery is always the best course, I just feel Boba Fett lost a lot of mystique and mystery once his background was established in Episode II. Certain character certainly work better when fleshed out. Others work better as the mysterious archetype whose past is a complete unknown, sort of like the Man with No Name. For me, Boba was more interesting before Episode II revealed his backstory. I'm not saying it's a necessarily bad or poor or uninteresting backstory, only that overall the mystery aspect works better for the character than an established backstory does.

That one part in the trailer for episode 7 really got me hyped up for this

That looked great! See THATS what epiasode VII should have been. That's adding not copying , the main character looks great , The new troopers look great , The story looks new and exciting. This film looks really really cool.

That's adding not copying

I can see that in Episode 7, but I don't think it's detrimental. I think there are deliberate parallels in Rey's, Luke's, and Anakin's stories and they are there for a reason.

The whole purpose of this movie is to add to the main narrative, so yeah, I would HOPE that it's not copying.

The trailer looks fantastic. I'm very excited for this movie.

Ice and I were talking about this being more exciting than Episode 7. Not that Ep7 wasn't exciting, but you were excited about it because Luke, Han, Leia, etc. were all back. The trailers weren't exciting as far as footage goes. But this look phenomenally good and there is a ton of cool stuff that's more exciting. I think I've said this before but I love the idea of a whole movie coming out of a single, almost throwaway line from the original movie.

Ice and I were talking about this being more exciting than Episode 7. Not that Ep7 wasn't exciting, but you were excited about it because Luke, Han, Leia, etc. were all back. The trailers weren't exciting as far as footage goes. But this look phenomenally good and there is a ton of cool stuff that's more exciting. I think I've said this before but I love the idea of a whole movie coming out of a single, almost throwaway line from the original movie.

Which line? If you mean "Many Bothans died to bring us this information" that's from Return of the Jedi and refers to the second Death Star.

*pushes glasses up bridge of nose*

Which line? If you mean "Many Bothans died to bring us this information" that's from Return of the Jedi and refers to the second Death Star.

How dare you question me.

Leia said:
Now we'll find out if those plans were worth the price we paid.

How dare you question me.
Leia said:
Now we'll find out if those plans were worth the price we paid.

2600506-2041811479-tumbl.gif

Latest posts

Back