Stephen King discussion

i read them straight through and loved them, and now i'm working through the other stuff and will prolly read them again afterwords.

I forgot I had read Cell and On Writing. I enjoyed both.

I forgot I had read Cell and On Writing. I enjoyed both.

Cell was so different for a Steven King novel. Instead of slow builds of characters the **** hits the fan on page six. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it felt like he read the Flock Human issue of Global Frequency and decided to make it into a Zombie book. Otherwise its probably my favorite King book in a long time.

And what happened to my previous post here? I know it was more about ray Bradbury than King but I know I put something about him in there...

Anyway, I've never made it through The Dark Tower. I'm not sure why. I've tried a few times and just can't seem to get past book 2. Any suggestions? I know sometimes you just need the right mindset.

Cell was so different for a Steven King novel. Instead of slow builds of characters the **** hits the fan on page six. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it felt like he read the Flock Human issue of Global Frequency and decided to make it into a Zombie book. Otherwise its probably my favorite King book in a long time.

Yeah, I liked that it started off straight away. The only problem was that there was a lull around the middle where they met The Head and I got really bored with that bit. But the ending was pretty good.

And what happened to my previous post here? I know it was more about ray Bradbury than King but I know I put something about him in there...

I remember reading that... where did it go? I can't find it anywhere.

Anyway, I've never made it through The Dark Tower. I'm not sure why. I've tried a few times and just can't seem to get past book 2. Any suggestions? I know sometimes you just need the right mindset.

Suggestions for King books or The Dark Tower?

Suggestions for King books or The Dark Tower?

The Dark Tower specifically. I've got no problem reading most King books. Especially the old Bachman books. I love most of them. I tried to read The Talisman too and couldn't get more than 50 pages in. It seems like any book in the major narrative just falls flat for me.

The Dark Tower specifically. I've got no problem reading most King books. Especially the old Bachman books. I love most of them. I tried to read The Talisman too and couldn't get more than 50 pages in. It seems like any book in the major narrative just falls flat for me.

I don't know. I often get bored a bit with The Dark Tower books and take a short break or read another one of his novels in between. I guess all you can do is persevere.

About a hundred pages into Lisey's Story and really digging it. Not his best, but defiantly solid material.

So I gave up on The Stand. I only had about 400 pages left but I couldn't be bothered. Plus, I had to keep renewing it and I had lost interest. There was only one character I really cared about, Nick Andros,
and apparently he died shortly after anyway.

Not as interesting as I thought it would be. :(

This is sort of an old subject, but did anybody watch "N."? I thought it was awesome, especially the pseudo-Lovecraft crossover elements. The whole story really creeped me out. I really think that King should write a horror epic sort of in the style of Dark Tower, but with Lovecraftian horrors instead.

This is sort of an old subject, but did anybody watch "N."? I thought it was awesome, especially the pseudo-Lovecraft crossover elements. The whole story really creeped me out. I really think that King should write a horror epic sort of in the style of Dark Tower, but with Lovecraftian horrors instead.

Meh. I am pretty much done with King. I am a huge fan, read pretty much all of his books. But Dark Tower WAS my favorite. I waited over 10 years for that story to end and as it got closer to the end it got worse and worse until I wish that I had never read anything after 'The Wizard and Glass'. The last 3are awful. ('Wolves of the Calla', 'Song of Susannah', and 'The Dark Tower' each worse than the previous)

I have noticed that King can build up and weave a very intricate story. But he doesn't know how to end it. 'IT' was like that. So was 'The Stand'. (But I am giving the Stand comic a chance)

Looking back I would highly recommend 'Desperation' (and/or the Regulators after that, which is the same story as Desperation except the characters are shuffled), 'Pet Cemetary' and 'The Shining' if you want quick painless books that are not laden down with Dark Tower continuity (as many of his books are) and are great stories. Also 'The Green Mile' is very good. And 'The Shining' is SO much better than either of the crappy movies.

Last edited:
Meh. I am pretty much done with King. I am a huge fan, read pretty much all of his books. But Dark Tower WAS my favorite. I waited over 10 years for that story to end and as it got closer to the end it got worse and worse until I wish that I had never read anything after 'The Wizard and Glass'. The last 3are awful. ('Wolves of the Calla', 'Song of Susannah', and 'The Dark Tower' each worse than the previous)

I have noticed that King can build up and weave a very intricate story. But he doesn't know how to end it. 'IT' was like that. So was 'The Stand'. (But I am giving the Stand comic a chance)

Looking back I would highly recommend 'Desperation' (and/or the Regulators after that, which is the same story as Desperation except the characters are shuffled), 'Pet Cemetary' and 'The Shining' if you want quick painless books that are not laden down with Dark Tower continuity (as many of his books are) and are great stories. Also 'The Green Mile' is very good. And 'The Shining' is SO much better than either of the crappy movies.

I actually didn't care for Desperation. Tak came across as one of the oddest (in a bad way) villains I have ever seen. Didn't even really creep me out. I agree with you about the Dark Tower. CK's villain decay is appalling, and Flagg's death was pure unadulterated crap.

I think 'Salem's Lot fits right up there with The Shining.

I actually didn't care for Desperation. Tak came across as one of the oddest (in a bad way) villains I have ever seen. Didn't even really creep me out. I agree with you about the Dark Tower. CK's villain decay is appalling, and Flagg's death was pure unadulterated crap.

I think 'Salem's Lot fits right up there with The Shining.

Me too. Salem's Lot was awesome.

I think we are like many DT fans who were tragically let down by how DK finished up.

Currently reading The Shining. So far, I think it's his best. I imagine this was when his editor's still had a hold of his balls. I think a more pointed King story is the way to go. The Dark Tower and the Stand? Kinda too long.

Also, caught something while reading the Shining, too. The room that Danny's supposed to stay away from is 217. 2 + 17...

;-)

So I gave up on The Stand. I only had about 400 pages left but I couldn't be bothered. Plus, I had to keep renewing it and I had lost interest. There was only one character I really cared about, Nick Andros,
and apparently he died shortly after anyway.

Not as interesting as I thought it would be. :(

Andros was your favorite character? Get outta here dude. :-D He was my least favorite.
glad that happened to him

My current story has a lot of King-esque themes and ideas about evil and whatnot... I'm starting to turn it into a novel. If it's close to any one King novel, it'd be Salem's Lot, but more for encompassing how evil affects an entire town rather than vampires and whatnot. My goal is to finish it in about a year and a half, and by finish I mean something I can send to the publishers...

It is titled "The Angels of Archer's Peak"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back