Steve Buscemi is WALT DISNEY!

compound

Have you ever believed that Steve Buscemi is just one role away from becoming an Oscar-winning leading man with his own niche in the Hollywood pantheon?

I dare say that I have the perfect solution...

waltlogo.jpg

walt.jpg

That's right, folks! Mr. Buscemi would play the great animator himself, in a stylized biopic, focused on the establishment of Walt Disney Studios, amidst the turbulence of early 1930s California.

royo.jpg

He would be joined by the reliable Hugo Weaving (Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, V for Vendetta), as his more serious, business-oriented brother, Roy O. Disney, who keeps his sibling's flightier ambitions in check.

lillian.jpg

Elizabeth Banks (The 40-Year-Old Virgin, The Baxter) would make her own breakthrough performance as Walt's inker-turned-secretary (and eventually wife) Lillian Bounds.

ub.jpg

And Jude Law -- in "quirky immigrant" mode -- would play Walt's creative partner Ubbe Iwwerks, the man who first designed Mickey Mouse.

The film would take considerable liberties when presenting the creation of Disney's most beloved icons.

The audience will learn that Mickey Mouse was patterned after Walt's good-natured black houseboy (Orlando Jones of MadTV fame), who dutifully puts up with his domestic labor, whistling while he works, grateful to have employment during the onset of the Great Depression.

Donald Duck finds his orgins in a cantankerous, ill-temprered waiter (Chan Kwok Kuen, Kung Fu Hustle) at a Chinese restaurant frequented by the Disney brothers.

And Goofy is modelled after the studio's gangly Lithuanian errand boy (Seinfeld's Michael Richards).

Barring the legal impossibility of a movie like this ever being made, do you think it would hold up, creatively?

Last edited:
Ice said:
Why is this a legal impossiblity?
Because Disney (the present-day Corporation) has a legal staff that appears to be fiercely guarded about how its founder is depicted.

It may be historically accurate to say that Walt Disney made light of prevailing racial inequalities of his era -- note the controversy regarding "Song of the South" and the origins of the "Zipadeedooda" song -- but that doesn't mean his estate will allow that aspect to be represented in a movie about his life.

Granted....if the legalities were cleared up. This would be a great film. As we all know, biopics are a great way for typecasted actors to break out and show their true skills (Will Smith in Ali, Jaime Foxx in Ray, J. Pheonix in Walk the Line, etc).

I think this would be great. Would it catpult Buscemi into the upper echelon of Hollywood leading roles? No. But damn if it wouldn't at least earn him an Oscar. Portraying the founding father of American childhood entertainment would be just huge.

I also applaud the spot on casting choices.

compound said:
Because Disney (the present-day Corporation) has a legal staff that appears to be fiercely guarded about how its founder is depicted.

It may be historically accurate to say that Walt Disney made light of prevailing racial inequalities of his era -- note the controversy regarding "Song of the South" and the origins of the "Zipadeedooda" song -- but that doesn't mean his estate will allow that aspect to be represented in a movie about his life.

What are the "Zip..." origins? Does it have anything to do with a certain SNL cartoon, perhaps?

As for the so-called "fierce guarding," they must be reeaal happy about Walt Disney on Robot Chicken! :lol:

compound said:

He also worshipped Satan.

compound said:
Have you ever believed that Steve Buscemi is just one role away from becoming an Oscar-winning leading man with his own niche in the Hollywood pantheon?

In all honesty? Yes!

This is a brilliant idea for a movie, and your cast is perfect. No question that this would earn all the major nominations at the Oscars, as biopics are all the rage these days.

Ultimate Houde said:
If he ate kittens, he'd be okay by me, but not puppies

I totally agree. Anyone willing to cut down the cat population is OK in my book.

Victor Von Doom said:
So you've A-OK with the Orient region, huh?

As long as it's cat, it's all good.

I love how this thread just totally veered WAY off topic. In hopes of getting it somewhat back on track.....

I think if Disney was to sit down with whatever company that wanted to do this film....and come to an agreement concerning how Walt would be played and how some of the "hot topics" would be addressed...this movie would be amazing.

There is no getting around his eccentric side. That has to be shown. As far as the blatant rascims. It was the times. Rascism can be shown and done tastefully. I think the key thing Disney should try to do is to show that Walt wasn't actually a rascist per se....but a product of the times.

Maybe even an epilogue kinda disclaimer in which Disney states an apology to the public for the many blatant racist stereotypes they've portrayed in the past.

I don't know....I'm just rambling now.

Latest posts

Back