How would you rate Super 8?

• Total voters
This is my favourite film of the year.

If you're a fan of JJ Abrams or Steven Spielberg, it will be yours too.

I guess I should save face and talk about some of the things I did like with this movie.

I hate kid actors. I hate when Spielberg utilizes them so they survive ridiculous situations and while that happened here a lot. I just can't fault them because the young stars were really impressive. I loved the acting in the movie and I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't see them in the tabloids soon.

The way the movie was made. It is a visually stunning movie to me.

The setting of small town America in the 1970's. I almost teared at scenes just because things were simpler without the internet.

None of that had to do with an alien though. Which is what the movie was partly about and the alien scenes were a half of what could have been a good drama about small town America.

Last edited:
Loved this film.

I kind of agree with MWoF, though. While the alien stuff was interesting, I was more invested in the drama of the town and the kid's antics and wondering if they'd ever finish that movie. (Which they did, to my eternal glee.)

Saw this today and loved it. A bit predictable and not quite as magical as I'd wanted it to be but certainly fun and well made, more heart than the typical big summer movie.

Yeah, this was pretty good but didn't quite manage to be the life-affirming spectacular I wanted it to be. The kid actors ranged from decent to excellent throughout the film, Elle Fanning and the kid who played Joe being the best. Overall though, it just felt like too much build-up for not that groundbreaking a payoff. The
alien looking almost exactly like the Cloverfield monster
was not the way to go, in my opinion. 3.5/5. I had this in mind during the film and my dad said the exact same thing in the parking lot - if I was seeing it at age 11-14 or so, it would be the best thing ever.

I never say this, but the stuff during the credits was just about the most enjoyable part. That was me at that age, right before virtually all of my film-making friends became obsessed with pot. DRUGS ARE SO BAD!

Last edited:
Just saw it and thought it was really good. Without a doubt the best film I've seen in theaters this year. Met all of my expectations, but then again I didn't go in expecting it to change my life.

Just saw it and thought it was really good. Without a doubt the best film I've seen in theaters this year. Met all of my expectations, but then again I didn't go in expecting it to change my life.

Dude, apparently we should've stayed for the trailers.

Also, it was awesome.

Last edited:
Planet-man said:
Yeah, this was pretty good but didn't quite manage to be the life-affirming spectacular I wanted it to be. The kid actors ranged from decent to excellent throughout the film, Elle Fanning and the kid who played Joe being the best. Overall though, it just felt like too much build-up for not that groundbreaking a payoff. The * SPOILER * was not the way to go, in my opinion. 3.5/5. I had this in mind during the film and my dad said the exact same thing in the parking lot - if I was seeing it at age 11-14 or so, it would be the best thing ever.

I never say this, but the stuff during the credits was just about the most enjoyable part. That was me at that age, right before virtually all of my film-making friends became obsessed with pot. DRUGS ARE SO BAD!

I would agree with it not being ground breaking; but damn it was so like a classic Spielberg flick. Just think, goonies meets et.

Latest posts

Back