Superpowers!

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
Preview

Dynamite Entertainment has announced that Alex Ross and Jim Krueger would be making "SUPERPOWERS" their next comic book project following their two-year smash run on DC's Justice! SUPERPOWERS was developed by Dynamite with the pair of fan-favorite creators.

The project, described by Dynamite Publisher Nick Barrucci as "being in development for the last three years," is scheduled for release at the end of 2007 and marks the return of a host of classic Golden Age heroes and villains, all under the creative and artistic direction of Alex Ross and writer Jim Krueger.

"SUPERPOWERS will be unlike anything that Dynamite has done to date," continued Barrucci. "Not only in terms of the subject matter, but in terms of every approach we're taking with the series. After all, it's not everyday you get to work with Alex Ross. Although, I should throw in a tease that I'm living the dream of two lifetimes as this is just one of the projects we have cooking with Alex in 2007 and 2008!"

"I'm excited to work with so many classic comic icons," said Ross. "Dynamite's enthusiasm matches ours, and it's great working with them."

"SUPERPOWERS, for me, is a chance to do things with characters that don't have to live by the end of the series," said Krueger. "To a degree, this project is the best of two worlds - the characters here are vital parts and icons in the history of heroes and comics. But at the same time, they can bleed, they can die, they don't have to remain the good guys. This project, both in story and in content, is about the freedom to be and create. Oh, and I get to work with Alex again."

SUPERPOWERS will feature covers and character designs by Ross, who is also co-plotting the series with Dynamite and Krueger. The image accompanying this release is the first painted piece by Ross, and will be available through the AlexRossArt.com booth #2419 at this month's Comic-Con International in San Diego. A special preview comic of SUPERPOWERS will also be available at the booth.

More details on the series, including the launch and further creative details are forthcoming. The project is being teased by Dynamite with the following:

From the dawn of the 20th Century came a new chapter in mankind's history, unleashed during a time of great war and destruction.

It was the beginning of the Age of the SUPERPOWERS, yet with the closing of the Second World War, this new spark seemingly flickered and died.

Until now...

Now the story can be told of the great lost Superpowers -- men and women with incredible abilities who changed the course of mankind forever . . . and who had been thought lost . . .

Until now . . .

Picture

could this be like Kingdom Come? It sounds similar to me and has the same great art.

Should I recognize any of those characters?

I was just thinking the same thing.

Shame on me for thinking and saying it, but a lot of times I don't care to do the extra work of reading a character I'm not familiar with. I'm a lazy American.

I was just thinking the same thing.

Shame on me for thinking and saying it, but a lot of times I don't care to do the extra work of reading a character I'm not familiar with. I'm a lazy American.

Same here.

Maybe I'll pick this up if it gets uber praise but it's hard to care about any thing Golden Age.

If I am correct....the one with the boomerangs bears a striking resemblance to The Original Daredevil.

He does!

So it's either a) Literally heroes been thought lost (as in old heroes that people have forgotten) but done in a new way or b) all new made up heroes

Either way I honestly think this is worth keeping an eye on , could be the next big thing

It's an original project, so I think all of the characters will be new (maybe some will be homages to former characters). I'm excited. At first, I thought it was going to be a follow-up to Justice, and I almost orgasmed.

Looks like an attempt to modernize some older heroes in a more real-world setting, a la Miracleman or, ironically considering the author of this thread, Watchmen.

In which case I'd be totally down with that. Even though I know nothing about the original Daredevil or anyone else for that matter.

So has anyone seen a Ross product that doesn't deal heavily with the Silver or Golden ages? (and I count Kingdom Come because of its vast ammount of references.)

So has anyone seen a Ross product that doesn't deal heavily with the Silver or Golden ages? (and I count Kingdom Come because of its vast ammount of references.)

Is that a bad thing?

No, he's amazing at it and hands down one of the greatest artists and storytellers in comics. I was just wondering.

he did work for the spider-man movie with things like this

If that counts

I remember hearing somewhere that he pretty much hates the modern age, and that he refuses to even draw Kyle Raynar.

I remember hearing somewhere that he pretty much hates the modern age, and that he refuses to even draw Kyle Raynar.

I agree with that Modern day comics are not as good though.

I disagree, I sure someone can explain this better than me but silver age always seemed really campy to me (mostly, I think, because of the Comic Code).

Yeah but the greatest comic stories ever came from pre-90s (even if my favourite characters and story was 90s) It use to be great of having an issue of say Spider-man.

You get the build up , the villain and end. Not much had to be continued as much even if some stuff carried over. Also you cared more about the villains back then too. Even if some were over top.

E.g Gwen Stacy's death and then the follow up with Green Goblins death to me have never and will never be touched on a purely emotional and amazing writing point. The quote from that

"So do the proud men die. Crucified not on a cross of gold, but a stake of humble tin" Is quote that today still gets me emotional.

Ironically I wasn't even alive then and I still think it's better than anything they have done in comics.

Now days you need to buy every one of their series in order to get the full story , That's why I prefer Ultimate Spider-man to 616 , less other non-spidey comics have to be bought.

I might not be making a lot of sense but it seems that yes we lost the campiness but we also lost the beautiful and moving story telling that a lot of older ones had.

Now days if they did Gwen's death (not including carnage death) it would be she died just so he would have motivation to go to big war the event of the year has lead up to.

Latest posts

Back