Superpowers!

Yeah but the greatest comic stories ever came from pre-90s (even if my favourite characters and story was 90s) It use to be great of having an issue of say Spider-man.

You get the build up , the villain and end. Not much had to be continued as much even if some stuff carried over. Also you cared more about the villains back then too. Even if some were over top.

E.g Gwen Stacy's death and then the follow up with Green Goblins death to me have never and will never be touched on a purely emotional and amazing writing point. The quote from that

"So do the proud men die. Crucified not on a cross of gold, but a stake of humble tin" Is quote that today still gets me emotional.

Ironically I wasn't even alive then and I still think it's better than anything they have done in comics.

Now days you need to buy every one of their series in order to get the full story , That's why I prefer Ultimate Spider-man to 616 , less other non-spidey comics have to be bought.

I might not be making a lot of sense but it seems that yes we lost the campiness but we also lost the beautiful and moving story telling that a lot of older ones had.

Now days if they did Gwen's death (not including carnage death) it would be she died just so he would have motivation to go to big war the event of the year has lead up to.

While you are correct in many parts, the modern age still has had some of the most emotional and important stories of all time. IT started with Crisis so I would say DKR, Watchmen, and anything Grant Morrison or Geoff Johns write is brilliant. The Golden, Silver and Modern Ages all have good things about them (some bad as well). I think refusing to draw Kyle is stupid. I mean he's a good character. Ross isn't mad at the Rayner character he's mad at what they did to Hal Jordan.

While you are correct in many parts, the modern age still has had some of the most emotional and important stories of all time. IT started with Crisis so I would say DKR, Watchmen, and anything Grant Morrison or Geoff Johns write is brilliant. The Golden, Silver and Modern Ages all have good things about them (some bad as well).

See I agree they all have bad things and I know I'm in the minority here when I say this but I think this era in comics at the moment is the worst.

I rank them

1. Bronze Age
  2. Silver age
  3. Golden Age
  4. Modern Age

Each era had something good and bad about them. I wouldn't say the Modern Age is the worst. I mean look at Sinestro Corps, that's one of the best stories DC's put out in years.

Absolute Justice was what I was looking for. I will keep an eye out for it!

I'm waiting for it too, even though I have the 3 hardcovers.

Issue #0 is released now. I just read it, pretty good you don't need to know anything about the characters - they're all from differenet companies from the 30s anyway.

Good opening and set-up (if a little slow).

Basically Hitler opens an urn a bit like pandora's box so there's lots of evil but the heroes are supposed to be like the hope that crops up. This one character gets told if he sucks all the heroes back into the urn then the evil will stop too....cut to about 60 years later, apparently it's not that simple...did he not notice the evil still about? anyway it's left that he's going to try and re-release these heroes spirits, and then they'll be more story.

I made that sound really crap, it's better than that and has some awsome looking characters.

Edit: Sorry I didn't realise this was spoiler free thread..covered up now

Last edited:
I'm also intrigued by this line at the end of the wikipedia article

The series will, then, eventually free the trapped superheroes and, most likely, set the stage for a superhero universe to be published by Dynamite Entertainment.

I wasn't too impressed with issue #0 but this is stilll probably the thing I'm most looking forward to reading at the minute ('cept for the usual Punisher MAX).

Dynamite are calling it their flagship, i think it might be starting something up. and a lot of the characters (Devil and Green lama) look well cool

Edit: from another forum
2 Project Superpowers updates:

1 - Issue #1 is scheduled to ship Feb. 27.

2 - The FCBD website gives the following description for the Project Superpowers FCBD book.

PROJECT SUPERPOWERS—FCBD 2008 EDITION

by Alex Ross & Jim Krueger

Dynamite Entertainment and Alex Ross unleash Project Superpowers for the 2008 Free Comic Book Day event! In this special FCBD Edition, the creative team of Alex Ross and Jim Krueger present a special tale that connects the threads begun in Project Superpowers #0 and the seven-issue opening story arc of the series! Featuring a new cover by Alex Ross, this special FCBD Edition will not only be an essential release to connect the pieces of the entire Project Superpowers saga, but will act as an excellent entry point for the superhero series to end all superhero series! Plus, special previews of such Dynamite series as The Lone Ranger, Brothers in Arms, and more!

32pgs, FC PI

It is shown with the cover image of #0, but it is NOT a reprint of #0. It is a new issue just for FCBD. There is some confusion over this, but this is a NEW issue and will have a NEW cover.

So it's an ongoing and the next issue is out on wednesday. - I would guess ross and kreuger may only be around until issue '6 tho...or at least they may take a month or two hiatus.

What do people think of the covers, who looks the best? etc. is anyone else as interested as me?

Last edited:
Anyone know when the tpb or harcover or both are comic out for this as I really want to read this but i'm waiting for it to get collected

Latest posts

Back