Supreme Power: Nighthawk series discussion (spoilers!)

Fredrik Martinsson

Formerly known as Ultimate Warrior
OK. This is more like it!

This is how a mini should be told.

We got a background-story on the villain, face punching action, a challenge for Nighthawk and the start of the villains breakout, AND WE ARE ONLY AT ISSUE 1!
I hope the rest of the mini is as full packed as this one :D

sounds cool. Gonna pick this up when it comes to DK

Actually let's use this thread to discuss the whole minisseries. I'll change the title.

This was a very good issue, and far more "MAX" than Supreme Power ever was. That's not a knock against Supreme Power, by the way.

I only read it once; I'm sure I'll have more to add after I reread it.

Can someone give a more detailed summary? I'm looking forward to this.

ProjectX2 said:
Can someone give a more detailed summary? I'm looking forward to this.

Gay clown sex.

Still looking forward to it?

i saw some scans from supreme power a couple days ago and I'm already hooked and looking for back issues of supreme power and i wait like two hours for my local shop to put nighthawk out and it was worth it
i can't wait to see what other characters turn up in supreme power and if nighthawk will ever change

I went to get my comics today cuz they come on friday night or saturday morning over in NZ but nooooooo stupid labour day :(

Nighthawk was written superbly, so well I thought, "JMS is doing a damn fine job with Nighthawk" and then realised it ain't JMS at all. Really top notch. Everything was good except for how the backstory of the villain was handled.

In plays around the turn of the century, when they were all set in a manor house, it would always open with a butler and a maid cleaning the lounge or study. The butler would turn to the maid and say, "Oh, you're new here aren't you?" and proceed to tell the entire backstory of the play's characters to her in a huge chunk of exposition. It's an amateur trick because the writer is unable to effectively use exposition to turn story, so he just tells us what's going on. While the villain's backstory was good and engaging, it was told in exactly the same way. One officer turns to the other, says, "Oh, you're new here aren't you?" and tells her everything.

I think it would've been far more interesting if his backstory was a sub-plot that opened the first issue (but that would've meant we wouldn't get the "Congrattlations its a Nigger" thing which was a brilliant opening) or if it was revealed gradually to Nighthawk, turning story as it did, throughout the series.

As it is, it feels kind of wasted.

That said, now that the exposition is out of the way, I'm sure that Dan Way is going to give us a good time.

Bass said:
I'm sure that Dan Way is going to give us a good time.

After browsing through the sequential turds that were (Tsunami) Venom and the last Sabertooth mini, I find it very, very difficult to associate Dan Way with "a good time".

Well no 2 is out, its ok i guess.
Whats up with the dealer saying "fuggin" all the time, is that an american thing?

So far this 1 is the best out of the 2 (but i haven't seen issue 2 of hyperion, so i won't judge till then)

Do you think these are going to be necessary reads for the next Supreme Power series?

ProjectX2 said:
Do you think these are going to be necessary reads for the next Supreme Power series?

They are supposed to be leading into it, bridging the gap between the 2 series.

I thought #2 was a pretty decent read. I'm curious how they are going to explain that a guy whom they thought was catatonic for all these years...well, isn't.

Anyone think they might revisit that baby somewhere down the line?

UltimateE said:
Anyone think they might revisit that baby somewhere down the line?

Yes, but they'd have to do a significant time-jump.

Though I'd be very impressed if they pulled off a Robin character in ANY way...

Maybe the guy was in a mental coma........ from getting roughed up by those thugs in jail

Is anyone else reading this series........ man its messed up..... this clown/joker character, started off killing African/american's, now he has started killing white people, by tampering with drugs.
Nighthawk got put to sleep by the clown in the last issue, and woke up in his place tied up.... and then the clown started rambling on......
He said that killing people filled the hole in him, and it was fate that bought the clown and nighthawk to each other.
Then Nighthawk escapes and goes to the hospital (i think he got injected with the tampered drugs, but it didn't kill him straight away) and gets help from his lady friend, who seems to like nighthawk by kissing him, with the clown standing outside, the curtains
The lady friend (i really should check her name) is then stabbed with the drug, and pretty much dies, and it ends with the clown, standing in the door way, of the room with the baby, which nighthawk saved from the drug house

Its really bloody, and darker then the Hyperion one, it seems more Supreme Power

This is one of the most disturbing comics I've ever read.

Latest posts

Back