Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (franchise) - Timelines

I kinda want to see a timeline of the IDW Ghostbusters one day. Kinda relevant here because of a certain crossover.

Prime Dimension
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters II
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
Ghostbusters (IDW comics)

68-R Dimension
The Real Ghostbusters
The Real Ghostbusters (IDW comics)

68-E Dimension
The Real Ghostbusters
Extreme Ghostbusters

68-Q Dimension
Slimer!

68-M Dimension
Tokyo ESP

11-W Dimension
Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Stylized Version)

50-S Dimension
Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime

35-N Dimension
New Ghostbusters II Video Game

80-C Dimension
Ghostbusters: Answer the Call
Ghostbusters: Answer the Call (IDW comics)

??-? Dimension
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters II
Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Ghostbusters (Dark Horse comics)

Additionally, these comics have a crossover with the IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. There's also a Transformers crossover, but they are new versions of the characters that only exist in the IDW Prime universe.

Last edited:
My solution to that, is more of a head canon, but there could be "sub dimensions" of similar worlds like "Dimension III.2" for example.

It's a cheat but I kinda wanna stick with the "10 dimensions" fact established in-universe.
No, that definitely works. You kind of already have to do that with Dimension II. The Archie comics split off into their own separate continuity starting with #6. (Also, the aforementioned TMNTEntity has a great reading order for that series too.)

Initially I was going to argue that there's way more than 10 dimensions no matter how you slice it, but basically everything could be a "sub dimension" of one of the main ones.

Not sure if I will consider these canon, or if they'll even be possible to place chronologically, but IDW is coming out with a miniseries set in the 1987 universe. It's called TMNT: Saturday Morning Adventures.

Ok, I have a few more details on my timeline for the 1987 cartoon.

So "Once Upon a Time Machine" (takes place not long after Easter, produced as a late season 4 episode, some episode lists consider it season 5) gives a hard 1991 placement.

Working backwards from that and backing up my theory that season 3 is the previous summer, "Michaelangelo's Birthday" shows a summer scene on the calendar and places his birthday on a Monday the 13th. This lines up perfectly with August 1990. Several episodes before this ("Take me to your Leader") places the season in mid-July.

Me personally, I also fit seasons 1 and 2 into 1990, since season 1 is June. I think you could argue that season 1 is 1989, but there's very little time passed between 2 and 3.

I kinda want to see a timeline of the IDW Ghostbusters one day. Kinda relevant here because of a certain crossover.

Prime Dimension
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters II

68-R Dimension
The Real Ghostbusters
The Real Ghostbusters (IDW comics)

68-E Dimension
The Real Ghostbusters
Extreme Ghostbusters

68-Q Dimension
Slimer!

68-M Dimension
Tokyo ESP

11-W Dimension
Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Stylized Version)

50-S Dimension
Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime

35-N Dimension
New Ghostbusters II Video Game

80-C Dimension
Ghostbusters: Answer the Call
Ghostbusters: Answer the Call (IDW comics)

??-? Dimension
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters II
Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Ghostbusters (Dark Horse comics)

Additionally, these comics have a crossover with the IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. There's also a Transformers crossover, but they are new versions of the characters that only exist in the IDW Prime universe.
A fella that posts here occasionally as mrmichaelt had a really good timeline that he had posted on the now defunct IDW boards. I would imagine he also had it up on GBfans, or elsewhere. Could probably message him on here, but haven't seen him post in a while.

Just realized I didn't comment on the 1990 movie-verse, which is the last one I'll have any input for (never got into the PD movies or Rise).

I don't know if there's any dates given in the first movie, but Critters (1986) was playing at the theater. I think you can reasonably assume that Raphael didn't go to a movie during its main theatrical run and this was a dollar theater some time after 86.

Secret of the ooze is a couple weeks later, I think they say exactly early in the movie.

I see a question mark next to The Next Mutation. I do believe it was meant to be a continuation of the movies. There's a few contradictions, but there's a few references to the movies and it's the same lair from SotO.

TNM is not compatible with the 2007 movie, if you're going to include that. Me personally, I don't consider it to be canon with the 90's trilogy. It was kind of marketed as such, but I think that was just a lazy way to explain that these turtles had already been on adventures/fought the Foot. Splinter having both ears is my main thing, but it just makes no effort to fit into that continuity.
It randomly occurred to me that there were prop dates in the 1990 flick and it was bothering me all day. Just popped it in and the New York Post on the stands during the opening sequence is dated Wednesday September 12th, 1990. Which more or less jives with the weather

So I guess Dimension IX will be Mutant Mayhem?

Probably years off, but if you're keeping Dimension 10 as a general dimension X I guess all new stuff will be eleven and up?

So I guess Dimension IX will be Mutant Mayhem?

Probably years off, but if you're keeping Dimension 10 as a general dimension X I guess all new stuff will be eleven and up?
I will get back to this hopefully this year. I'll figure something out. :)

Are you going to include the video game Shredder's Revenge to the 1987 timeline?

Last edited:
Are you going to include the videogame Shredder's Revenge to the 1987 timeline?
It's not canon. It's a sequel to Turtles in Time, which is a sub-dimension of the 87 show, I guess.

In the TMNT (2012) New Animated Adventures Comic #9, there's a year seen ("2014") - and it's set shortly after season one.

So season 1 is set in 2013.

So, out of the 10 dimensions one is the DCAU and another one is the movie Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? If that's the case then at least 1/5 of the universes are also DC universes

Latest posts

Back