Terminator Salvation

Time travel and predestination paradoxes have been a focus of the Terminator franchise since 1984. Discussing how the timeline works helps to gain a better understanding of the Terminator mythos....so if anything, the Terminator thread is....evolving.
No it's not.

Time travel and predestination paradoxes are a means to an end for the Terminator franchise, not a focus of the franchise itself.

Nevermind the fact that I'm sure we also had another Terminator thread for this, and time travel talk pretty much dilutes this thread to the point where NONE of it is actually about Terminator Salvation.

A "hydrobot" from the upcoming film....

fs.jpg

hydrobot.jpg

Looks like one of Doc Ock's tentacles from Spider-Man 2.

A "hydrobot" from the upcoming film....

fs.jpg

hydrobot.jpg

Also reminds me of the tail of Scorpinok from Transformers. Ah, how movie Doc Ock has defined the mechanical tentacular appendage for the 21st century.

Also reminds me of the tail of Scorpinok from Transformers. Ah, how movie Doc Ock has defined the mechanical tentacular appendage for the 21st century.

Thats what came to my mind immediately as well, but that could be entirely due to my recent immersion in all things Transformers movie-related. I've been looking at it as the "ultimate" version of Transformers G1, and its eased me into learning more about the original (G1) versions and history.

Your girlfriend would be proud.

It does also look very much like Doc Ock's tentacles.

It's been officially announced that Danny Elfman will be doing the score to Terminator: Salvation.

Ugh. I am repulsed.

Danny Elfman's scores have taken a turn for the worse since Planet of the Apes.

Kinda reminds me of the squids/tentacles from The Matrix, and that's what was the precursor to Doc Ock.

ourchair said:
It's been officially announced that Danny Elfman will be doing the score to Terminator: Salvation.

Ugh. I am repulsed.

Danny Elfman's scores have taken a turn for the worse since Planet of the Apes.

Going to have to agree with you there, as much as I loved his Nightmare Before Christmas and Wonka work, His stuff always seemed to just be a remix of the Batman soundtrack. Most of all, his work seems to be a bit too quirky to really fit the Terminator universe.

Going to have to agree with you there, as much as I loved his Nightmare Before Christmas and Wonka work, His stuff always seemed to just be a remix of the Batman soundtrack. Most of all, his work seems to be a bit too quirky to really fit the Terminator universe.
Yeah, I still think he has talent and skill, I just think he keeps zigging when he should zagging in his scores lately.

For example, Hellboy had a really groovy sound by Marco Beltrami, especially in the opening which was kind of a super-spy theme for the Cthulhu set, but Elfman just churned out a rather dissonant hero horror sound for The Golden Army.

His Spider-Man scores play on the idea that Peter's powers have a very creepy essence to them, almost suggesting he's a bit of a freak and there's a great substance to that, but he compromises any attempt to sonically play on "power and responsibility."

As for Wanted and The Kingdom there's a very generic sense of dissonance to their soundtracks, which straddles the ground between operatic and incoherent.

Dude, Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. I thought the music was actually the only really good thing about that movie.

And I love the Spider-Man scores.
I didn't say I disliked the Spider-Man scores. I'm merely describing his unconventional approach to music in that one. Also, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory wasn't on my list of "bad" scores.

I'm not saying Danny Elfman is a total tard, nor am I writing him off and his entire career from hereonforward. I'm just saying that a) his compositions have been far less consistently excellent than they used to be and b) his attachment to Terminator 4 doesn't exactly inspire the YES! a more consistently excellent composer would.

Also, Elfman announced that he is not sure yet whether he will retain Brad Fiedel's Terminator theme in his score. That he's even considering dropping it worries me.

Listen to his score for Milk. I thought it was pretty different from his usual stuff, at least for some parts. It's good stuff.
I don't need people to explain to me that he CAN be brilliant.

I know that already.

I listened to his work in The Kingdom, an it's got some awesome cues. Ditto for Hulk, which receives far less attention than his Spider-Man score. I KNOW he can stray from his "usual stuff" and he's a lot more diverse than people remember him to be.

I'm saying Danny Elfman ... doing the score for Terminator Salvation... and possibly junking Brad Fiedel's theme... is something I'm wary of. It's not a discussion of whether Danny Elfman is a good composer, it's a discussion of whether he's the best man for the job of scoring a Terminator film.

Last edited:
McG has been going around previewing about 15-20 minutes worth of scenes from Terminator: Salvation, with every movie scoop site around discussing these. io9's Meredith Woerner had this to say:
Since we got a good look at the really big bots in Terminator Salvation, let's just nip this whole Transformers versus Terminator controversy in the bud. Even though the effects that I witnessed last night were by no means finished, you could see what McG and friends were trying to do.

Granted, the Harvester does shoot off the wheelie Mototerminators from its legs in a very Transformery manner, but it's nothing like Transformers. The Harvesters rattle off a guteral moan so frightening, it'd make the Cloverfield monster piss his pants. It's cold, calculating robots killing and abducting men, the best way they know how. There's no personality or sassy attitudes, it is simply a gloriously intense moment of robots exterminating and capturing people.
More from the link above.

08-connormom.jpg

The SCI FI Wire reports that Teminator Salvation director Joseph "McG" McGinty Nichol intends to speak with Linda Hamilton, the origina Sarah Connor, about participating in the movie:

He intends to talk with original Sarah Connor Linda Hamilton soon about providing a voice-over narration—based on the tapes we see her recording for son John at the end of James Cameron's 1984 original Terminator—to open and close the movie. "We're in the business of doing that right now," McG said. "So we'll see what happens. She seems to be very supportive of the film. I look forward to showing it to her in about a week or so." He added: "The tapes that she left for her son to be aware of what it was going to take to win the war, those are the tapes that are going to bring us in and out of the picture."
More from the link above, as well as the direction Elfman's score will take, and screening the film for the Governator.

Last edited:
The Arnoldfans.Com has seen some preview footage of Terminator Salvation, and provides a report which may constitute major spoilers. The spoilers in question may not be surprising for those who have hit the Wiki entry or various other movie rumor sites, but still. Click here at your own risk.

Bale goes ballistic on the set....

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/moviesaporgbatmangoesbaleisticwithprofanetiradecrewap

The audio can be found here (be warned, there's quite a bit of profanity):

http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/03/t4-producer-bales-tantrum-was-no-biggie/

It's very shocking to hear Christian Bale go off on this mad tirade, it almost sounds like he's in a character. I love his movies but he sounds like a total *** in his private life.
As I reported in the Music Thread, there's already a musical tribute to it.

Several, actually:

[youtube]YTihsJQHt48[/youtube]

I'd be angry a lot too, if this was trying to kill me

t600tsnew.jpg

McG? Ew...

As for Christian Bale going off.... C'mon. We've all gotten pissed off before. That seems relatively mild, as far as angry tirades go.

Besides, I hear photography directors are, by and large, total pricks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back