Terminator Salvation

This movie exists solely because Christian Bale just isn't content with headlining ONE major million dollar franchise and merchandising brand.

This movie exists solely because Christian Bale just isn't content with headlining ONE major million dollar franchise and merchandising brand.

Bale's the main reason why I am interested in this film. Without his credibility I don't think a lot of people would be giving this the chance they have.

Bale's the main reason why I am interested in this film. Without his credibility I don't think a lot of people would be giving this the chance they have.
I know. I'm actually looking forward to it. I stopped giving a damn a long time ago whether this "fits" into the first two films or whatever.

I honestly think this all boils down to action figures though.

I know. I'm actually looking forward to it. I stopped giving a damn a long time ago whether this "fits" into the first two films or whatever.

I honestly think this all boils down to action figures though.
Since I'm actually pretty interested in this but the only Terminator stuff I've ever seen is the first two movies, I thought it might be worthwhile to try and read up on the whole franchise on Wikipedia.

I still can't get the stains out of my t-shirt from when the blood began leaking out of my ears.

Last edited:

Not me. I'm glad he's in it but it's Terminator I would watch that reason alone.

Since I'm actually pretty interested in this but the only Terminator stuff I've ever seen is the first two movies, I thought it might be worthwhile to try and read up on the whole franchise on Wikipedia.

I still can't get the stains out of my t-shirt from when the blood began leaking out of my ears.

Was that from being exposed to all the temporal distortions...or because of reading about T3?

Was that from being exposed to all the temporal distortions...or because of reading about T3?

Why is it that everyone here hates T3 so much? I actually liked it alot. It was a pretty good movie.

Why is it that everyone here hates T3 so much? I actually liked it alot. It was a pretty good movie.

I don't I liked Terminator 3. I realise it had faults but it was still cool

I enjoyed Terminator 3 as well. And for that, I can't totally condemn it. Sure, it totally blasted some of the principles of the first two films, but if I went out of the theatre not feeling like I just wasted 130 pesos, then I see no reason to gripe about it.

I just thought it was weak. Almost anything following up T2 would be anyway, but the third film just fell very flat. I think it was the combination of bad acting, Arnold looking his age, and a pretty boring plot throughout...and the female Terminator was just insulting. Loken's performance was pathetic. I'd've preferred they cast a female who could've actually pulled off what the role required.

I did enjoy Stahl in it (not his best work, but he was likeable), and I liked the twist ending, I admit. But the rest of T3 was lame.

You're also looking forward to the Venom spin-off movie.

I win.

I enjoyed Terminator 3 as well. And for that, I can't totally condemn it. Sure, it totally blasted some of the principles of the first two films, but if I went out of the theatre not feeling like I just wasted 130 pesos, then I see no reason to gripe about it.

See, I felt like I wasted my money on it. I could've never seen it and probably been better off. I remember walking out of the theater with my ex-gf and the both of us were very disappointed. I honestly don't remember much about it at this point (its been 5 years), other than what I listed above.

I'll probably force myself to sit through it again before Salvation comes out (along with the first two), so maybe I'll be more forgiving a second time through. I doubt it though.

Last edited:
That remains to be seen with the final product, but if Spider-Man 3 was any indication of how the character will be handled in his own movie, well...do I really need to say it?

:( Now your just trying hurt me

:( Now your just trying hurt me

Never, honey bear.

I loves my Moley-Mole.

And I actually don't hate Venom. Yes, he's a contrived character at best, but I've read stories focusing on him that were pretty good.

I just don't think Hollywood knows what the **** to do with the character. So, no, I'm not ripping on Venom the character, I'm ripping on Hollywood who will most likely turn him into a joke again. If not, I'll be pleasantly surprised and very pleased.

That looks pretty cool thanks Project.

One question. When John is asking that solider what the date is like doesn't know, Does that mean this time John goes to the future instead of the future coming to him?

I have mixed feelings about the trailer. There were some corny lines from Bale. And there were some Batpod-lookin' machines toward the beginning. I think this movie will be better than the last one, which I didn't really like, but we'll see.

That looks pretty cool thanks Project.

One question. When John is asking that solider what the date is like doesn't know, Does that mean this time John goes to the future instead of the future coming to him?

That's not John, that's Marcus Wright, a decommissioned Terminator. His "What day is it? What year?" line is a reference to Kyle Reese's lines in the first film. The soldier that Marcus Wright is talking to is actually Kyle Reese as a teenager (and just like he mentioned in the first movie, he's an admirer of John's). I don't know how Reese can exist in this movie if he died in the first one.

John's not going to the future. This movie takes place after Terminator 3, but also is supposed to show how the T-800 was made....So not only is it a sequel, but it's also a prequel. Here, this is the basic plot:
Set in post-apocalyptic 2018, John Connor (Christian Bale), the man fated to be the leader of the human resistance against Skynet and its army of Terminators, and the future he was raised to believe in is altered in part by the appearance of Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington), a stranger whose last memory is of being on death row. Connor must decide whether Marcus has been sent from the future, or rescued from the past. As Skynet prepares its final onslaught, Connor and Marcus both embark on an odyssey that takes them into the heart of Skynet's operations, where they find out a terrible secret that may lead to the possible annihilation of mankind.

Also, McG said that it will also be about the development of the Model 101 Terminator: scenes involve humans being captured and studied by Skynet in order to perfect their cybernetic organisms, and Connor explaining "If we let these things go online, the war is over." He explained the film will "begin again very much in the spirit of what Nolan did with Batman," in that it will not require audiences to have seen the previous films, and that it is "a bit of a sequel and a prequel because it tells the story of how we got there."

Here's all the details about the cast for more info about the story:

Christian Bale as John Connor: The battle-experienced leader of the human resistance, who is now in his early thirties, is waging war against Skynet after it has destroyed much of humanity in a nuclear holocaust. McG deemed him "the most credible action star in the world" during development. Bale was the first person to be cast and signed on for the role in November 2007. McG talked extensively with Bale in England about the role, and they both agreed to move forward. Bale is a fan of the films and liked the script and has signed on to appear in two additional sequels. He was at first disinterested, until McG convinced him the story would be character-based and not rely on special effects. They kept working on the story every day. McG said Bale broke his hand punching a Terminator prop during filming.

Sam Worthington as Marcus Wright: A decommissioned Terminator, who befriends John and Kyle. His last memory is of being on death row, and Connor is unsure of whether Wright is from the past or the future. Terminator creator James Cameron personally recommended Worthington (whom he directed in Avatar) to McG. Worthington recalled Cameron told him "the Terminator to make is the one with the war". Worthington tore a muscle on his left ribs during the first weeks of filming, but nevertheless insisted on performing his own stunts. McG once expressed interest in casting Daniel Day-Lewis or Josh Brolin in the part. Brolin did talk to Bale and read a draft of the screenplay, which he found "interesting and dark [but] ultimately though I didn't think it felt right".

Anton Yelchin as Kyle Reese: A teenaged soldier and admirer of John Connor. In The Terminator, to ensure the survival of the human race, he was sent back in time to 1984 to protect Sarah Connor, and he conceived John with her.

Bryce Dallas Howard as Kate Connor: John's wife, who is helping him build his resistance. Charlotte Gainsbourg was originally set to play the part, but left because of scheduling conflicts with another film. As portrayed by Claire Danes in the third film, Kate was a veterinarian, but in this film she has become a physician. Howard suggested, as part of her character's backstory, that Kate studied many medical books and interviewed many surviving doctors during the interval bridging the timelines of the two films. The film's subject matter reminded Bryce of developing countries, devastated by war and lack basic supplies such as clean water, which "reflect things that are going on currently in this privileged world that we're living in where there hasn't been an apocalypse and robots haven't taken over the world. I think that's something definitely for us to reinvestigate and that we continue to make choices for our own future to take that into consideration."

Moon Bloodgood as Blair Williams: A "no-nonsense and battle-hardened" pilot in the resistance suffering from survivor guilt. She and Marcus will apparently be romantic interests.

Common as Barnes: A freedom fighter and John's right-hand man.

Roland Kickinger as the prototype T-800: This will be the first Terminator film in which Arnold Schwarzenegger does not play the Model 101 Terminator, because he is serving as Governor of California. The Austrian-born Kickinger previously portrayed Schwarzenegger in a 2005 biographical film on the A&E Network. When asked about his role, Kickinger said it's "Arnold's character in the first Terminator. That's basically my role, but 20 years before, so it establishes how the Terminator [came] about." He also revealed that there is a "very strong scene in the film where John Connor for the first time meets the Terminator, and he doesn't know if he's a good guy or a bad guy." Polish strongman athlete Mariusz Pudzianowski was also considered for the role. Schwarzenegger visited the set, leading to rumors he was providing his voice and got scanned for a digital double, which would be mapped onto Kickinger's physique. He had granted the Halcyon Company permission to use his likeness in the film. McG would only admit "We're trying to synthesize a human character with a CGI character and that may or may not have something to do with the T-800."

Helena Bonham Carter as Serena Kogen: The lead villain. Tilda Swinton was considered for the part, but Carter replaced her just before filming. Carter accepted as her partner, Tim Burton, is a Terminator fan. Her role was a "small but pivotal" one and would only require ten days of shooting. On August 22, 2008, Carter delayed filming by a day, and was given an indefinite leave due to the death of four of her family members in a minibus accident in South Africa.

Finally, interesting bit of information:

In the early script drafts, Connor was a secondary character. Producer James Middleton explained "Ben-Hur was influenced by Jesus Christ, but it was his story. Much in that way, this [new main] character will be influenced by John Connor." In these early drafts, John is killed at the end. The human resistance decide John's image must be kept alive for the sake of morale, so Marcus has his flesh removed and replaced with John's. Marcus becomes leader of the resistance. McG was intrigued by the idea but nevertheless had it dropped.

I'm actually really looking forward to this movie and paying real close attention to it. I just haven't bothered posting about it because I thought no one was really interested having long written the entire franchise off after Rise of the Machines and Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Latest posts

Back