The All About Dreamcasting Thread

Re: Dreamcasting 2009

Honestly, I think the idea of a property pool is a good idea. It would allow players to already have ideas in mind for possible upcoming rounds of the game. Each regular player picks two properties before we reboot the game; when a player wins, they have to pick a property other than their two recommendations, and add a new property to the pool.
I like that.

I just want to note that this shouldn't prohibit suggestions for rounds after voting.

There's nothing against suggesting properties that should be done.

Just keep it out of the actual property thread and leave it to the general Dreamcasting discussion thread.

No offence Doom when I say this at all. But it sounds like it'll be the same thing just adding the posting what they would choose if they won rule and the 24 hour rule. But in my opinion isn't the problem the fact the old format got stale or whatever? No i'm not saying we have to do what I suggested before it was just ideas but something needs doing.

Well much like other games on this board (specifically the Ultimization Game) the problem isn't that it gets stale per se.....but the fact that participation dies down due to seasons of real life. People can't play because they've got finals, school is starting up and they've gotta get their kids ready, seasonal vacations to parents' home (some of which don't have internet), etc.

But at the same time, yes, the game can get stale because with each iteration we run out of properties or certain properties are picked that the majority of people don't have any background on so they participate. And when 1 round doesn't do well, without a huge comeback for the next round...that round and subsequent rounds die out and then we're back at Square One.

And there's nothing wrong with that. These breaks allow us all to recharge and relax and not operate real life with tethers to the internet. Who wants to be in school or at work and can't concentrate because they need to find the perfect actor to play Fables' Boy Blue?

If anything, the breaks are needed. One, so we can recharge ourselves. And two, so Hollywood can recharge as well. We've all seen the trend of picking the big actors who have recent works out. When Watchmen came out, several of us (myself included) were quick to use actors from that to fill our dreamcasts. Nobody was talking about Jeffrey Dean or Billy Crudup in dreamcasts before....but then all of a sudden we're seeing these guys and Jackie Earl being selected. And there's nothing wrong with that. But these breaks allow Hollywood to put out new stuff and re-introduce us to old actors forgotten or actors that have been around and now have breakout status.

I respect the fact you looked over everything and came up with a basis of what we could add and gave the pros and cons to ideas. But the problem is the "No need to fix what ain't broken. " because it clearly was broken when it wasn't getting entries or people just stopped caring.

Think of any form of entertainment. When things become stale or the public stop showing interest they normally try to be more innovative or to reinvent it in a new way. That's what needs to be done here. Again I'm sorry if sounds like I'm trying to put it down or insult your work.

I thought that was why dream adaptation was started. As it was a said Dreamcasting = comics. Dream adaptations = Everything Else. But I may have been wrong.

And here's the main reason, in my opinion anyways, on why the games got stale. We're spread to thin!

Think about it, why should dreamcasting only be limited to comics? Why remakes limited to old films and TV shows? Why only have books and games for adaptations? Technically, anything we dreamcast is an adaptation. You're adapting a comic to film so you can dreamcast. Same with a game. Or a book.

Don't limit us by breaking it down. Instead, if you keep one game, allowing for any sort of media to be adapted and dreamcasted and give the players the freedom to give any kind of pitch they'd like...you have more options to pick from. And thus the game will last longer. You won't have only 11 rounds of Dreamcasting and 6 rounds of Dreamadapting and only 4 rounds of DreamMovie. You'll just have one big dreamcasting game.

If you don't want to play in a current dreamcasting round because they're adapting a book you haven't read....then you simply wait and hope the next round is something you want to participate in. Now I know this feel a little offputting to some. Especially if we end up having like 3 rounds where you might not want to compete. And in that case, I liked the flow we had before (one well-known round like Avengers....the next one is a moderate round like Tom Clany's Splinter Cell series....the next one might be something lesser known like a remake of TV's Airwolf). But if you have a great cast for something random and you want to post it...then you could just post it as a random cast in the general thread (which you could later use if the property comes up).

Honestly, I think the idea of a property pool is a good idea. It would allow players to already have ideas in mind for possible upcoming rounds of the game. Each regular player picks two properties before we reboot the game; when a player wins, they have to pick a property other than their two recommendations, and add a new property to the pool.

Hmmm. A pool could work. I'm open to that idea.

Incidentally, I was thinking...

There's been talk about the value in the votes of the importance of casting vs. the importance of a pitch. And Dreamcasting seems to primarily be about the casts. It's hard to keep a "DreamMovie" thread up but I really like the pitch aspect of the game and I think some other people do too, so I was wondering...

What if we combine the two? At the end of the round, people vote for best cast and best pitch. Naturally the best cast winner determines the next round :D but it means I can get mad props for my awesome film treatments.

Incidentally, I was thinking...

There's been talk about the value in the votes of the importance of casting vs. the importance of a pitch. And Dreamcasting seems to primarily be about the casts. It's hard to keep a "DreamMovie" thread up but I really like the pitch aspect of the game and I think some other people do too, so I was wondering...

What if we combine the two? At the end of the round, people vote for best cast and best pitch. Naturally the best cast winner determines the next round :D but it means I can get mad props for my awesome film treatments.

Like you said, it's hard to keep the DreamMovie game going....especially since there's only like 4 people who really do pitches.

So with that in mind, I don't see a problem with an additional vote for the pitches. So when the round ends and its time to vote, I'm envisioning a wrap-up post like:

Langsta said:
That's it folks. Round is closed. Time to cast your votes!

Casts:
VVD
Mole
Bluebeast
Proj
Zombie
Houde
Bass

Pitches:
Proj
Zombie
Bass

And like stated before, since this is dreamcasting---the winner of the casts would run the next round. So if Proj won the casting but Bass won best pitch, then Proj would mod the next round and it's just an extra kudo for Bass. But let's say Proj won cast and best pitch...then he would obviously run the next round and revel in his awesomeness.

Like you said, it's hard to keep the DreamMovie game going....especially since there's only like 4 people who really do pitches.

So with that in mind, I don't see a problem with an additional vote for the pitches. So when the round ends and its time to vote, I'm envisioning a wrap-up post like:

And like stated before, since this is dreamcasting---the winner of the casts would run the next round. So if Proj won the casting but Bass won best pitch, then Proj would mod the next round and it's just an extra kudo for Bass. But let's say Proj won cast and best pitch...then he would obviously run the next round and revel in his awesomeness.

This is democracy in action!

I've always felt that the reason Dreamcasting tends to "die off" is because someone will pick a round that really doesn't have a lot of broad interest so everyone tends to not pay attention to it. It would be good to put in place something to insure that a new Dreamcasting round topic e.g., Justice League or Sherlock Holmes, has broad support and that more than one or two people are going to be interested in it. The problem is that this can lead to votes being cast on new round topics instead of the actual casting. I don't know if anyone would like this idea, but maybe allow the winner of the Dreamcasting round to select a certain number (say 6) of possible topics (ranging from multiple genres) and then give everyone a chance to vote on the Dreamcasting round they would like the most. This would insure that the new round topic is interesting, yet the previous winner would still have a hand in picking the new round. While this would take more time, hopefully it would maintain interesting rounds with nice involvement. Thoughts?

I like that idea DARKKNIGHT I really do

All good ideas around folks, especially the idea of a pitch and cast game because that's what I play these for. I say we implement something like this as there's an agreement for the most part. Plus I really need to get some of my great ideas on this round.

This is democracy in action!

"......my allegence is to the Republic, to democracy!"
-- Obi Wan

"If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."
-- Anakin

"THIS. IS. SPARTA!"
-- Leonidas

I couldn't decide which quote to use. :oops:

Who's going to start the new one?

I can start the new one like last time.

I've always felt that the reason Dreamcasting tends to "die off" is because someone will pick a round that really doesn't have a lot of broad interest so everyone tends to not pay attention to it. It would be good to put in place something to insure that a new Dreamcasting round topic e.g., Justice League or Sherlock Holmes, has broad support and that more than one or two people are going to be interested in it. The problem is that this can lead to votes being cast on new round topics instead of the actual casting. I don't know if anyone would like this idea, but maybe allow the winner of the Dreamcasting round to select a certain number (say 6) of possible topics (ranging from multiple genres) and then give everyone a chance to vote on the Dreamcasting round they would like the most. This would insure that the new round topic is interesting, yet the previous winner would still have a hand in picking the new round. While this would take more time, hopefully it would maintain interesting rounds with nice involvement. Thoughts?

I think the pool idea would fix this best.

If, before we start the next version of dreamcasting, we take like 3-5 days to add properties to the pool---then after the final day, we take another day or 2 to review the pool and either add good properties we forgot to mention...or to delete some properties that were proposed but not strong enough to warrant a round (due to lack of popularity or inabilty to create a good # of characters to cast or whatever). Then at the end of those 2 days, we have our pool of what properties to pick from (open for anybody to use, even if they didn't suggest it originally).

For example, Mole submits 3 properties, 2 good ones and the other one is Judge Dredd (what can I say...he's a fan). Maybe after looking at all the properties submitted we're all in agreement that 2 properties stay but Dredd is dropped due to lack of interest. Nothing wrong with that. If Mole still wanted to do his Dredd cast he could do it and post it in the general dreamcasting thread.

I'd like to say that each person submits only 2 properties (to allow for max participation and keep the # properties in the pool down) so we're operating under the assumption that there's about 10 people playing that gives us 20 properties but maybe only 15 properties make it.

That's 15 rounds. That's a lot. But then after those 15 rounds, the game take a small hiatus for 2-3 months (max) then we start the process all over again when it's time to start up again. This gives everyone a break as well as Hollywood to give us more actors/ideas to pick from.

All good ideas around folks, especially the idea of a pitch and cast game because that's what I play these for. I say we implement something like this as there's an agreement for the most part. Plus I really need to get some of my great ideas on this round.

I'm trying to think of reward for the all work going into the pitches. While a pitch game never seems to stick, it's a shame for all the work to go into these pitches and then all you get is a pat on the back.

Maybe something like once you win 3 pitches (doesn't have to be in a row) you get to host a special DreamPitch/Movie round. We'll still have a separate dreamcast round....but say Zombi wins his 3rd pitch, then he'd get to do a dreampitch/movie round with the property of his choice.

This way we'd still have the regular cast game.....but a special round for those who want to do a pitch. And in this pitch round, it can still follow the same rules from the dreamcast game, except a cast wouldn't be mandatory. You can do a cast if you'd like...but it's not needed.

Everyone's thoughts?

I like it, Doom. I'd suggest we implement some sort of system where new choices are added to the pool for the sake of keeping it fresh, whether that's by periodically having people suggest new additions in this thread or having each winner take a pitch and also add a pitch to the pool, or whatever.

(Actually. How's this? The winner of the casting gets to pick the next round, and the winner of the pitch gets to put another property in the pool to replace the new one that's being used)

Last edited:

I think the pool idea would fix this best.

If, before we start the next version of dreamcasting, we take like 3-5 days to add properties to the pool---then after the final day, we take another day or 2 to review the pool and either add good properties we forgot to mention...or to delete some properties that were proposed but not strong enough to warrant a round (due to lack of popularity or inabilty to create a good # of characters to cast or whatever). Then at the end of those 2 days, we have our pool of what properties to pick from (open for anybody to use, even if they didn't suggest it originally).

For example, Mole submits 3 properties, 2 good ones and the other one is Judge Dredd (what can I say...he's a fan). Maybe after looking at all the properties submitted we're all in agreement that 2 properties stay but Dredd is dropped due to lack of interest. Nothing wrong with that. If Mole still wanted to do his Dredd cast he could do it and post it in the general dreamcasting thread.

I'd like to say that each person submits only 2 properties (to allow for max participation and keep the # properties in the pool down) so we're operating under the assumption that there's about 10 people playing that gives us 20 properties but maybe only 15 properties make it.

That's 15 rounds. That's a lot. But then after those 15 rounds, the game take a small hiatus for 2-3 months (max) then we start the process all over again when it's time to start up again. This gives everyone a break as well as Hollywood to give us more actors/ideas to pick from.

Yeah, that would probably work better.

I like Zombipanda's compromise on the whole cast/pitch thing. Just to be clear, but would we vote for our favorite pitch and our favorite cast? I think that would work best. They would both be in the same round, but we would be casting two votes, one for each.

Last edited:

Ok, so I'm looking to start this back up with almost all the ideas brought forth at the start of the New Year.

Here's a quick rundown of the rules/changes:

-- General rules from the previous version still apply.

-- Instituting a Property Pool to choose from (posted in the General Dreamcasting thread), open to all media formats (TV/film remakes, comics, books, video games, etc). Property pool will be open for submissions at the start for 3 days (I'm still thinking no more than 3 submissions per person…although that # can be open for discussion though). All members need to understand that once their suggestions are in the pool, they are up for use by anyone (if McCheese suggests Seven Soldiers, then Proj can use it for a round he's hosting). All need to understand that there is to be no whining if you suggest a property and it's never used (ex.—I suggest The Sword but I never win a round to host and nobody ever uses The Sword. Be a man about it and take the hint!) .

-- When hosting/modding a round---an ACTUAL property must be assigned (ex.—Spider-Man, Mission Impossible, Thundercats, etc.). No generic rounds like "SuperGroup" (ex.—Doom chooses to make an Avengers cast and Ice does an X-Men cast and Bass does an Action Force cast). There needs to be an actual singular property. The reason for that is you can't properly compare 2 completely different casts.

-- Once a new round is started---no posting casts for the first 24 hours. Reason why here. I know it seems slightly unfair to those of us who don't have problems with coming up with a cast right away....but in the end I think it's for the best and most people seem to agree/like the idea of the grace period for posting.

-- When submitting an entry you must at least produce a cast. You can do a pitch if you want, but only a cast is required.

-- At the end of the round and voting begins, the mod will divide the submissions into 2 categories: Cast and Pitch. Cast winner wins the round and mods the next round. Pitch winners are allowed to add another property to the pool. When you vote, you specify what the vote is for (ex.—I vote for Mole's cast and Bass' pitch…or I vote for Proj's cast and Proj's pitch).

-- A huge change is the conversion of this thread to the General Dreamcasting Thread or All About Dreamcasting. Here we can have various discussions on dreamcasting instead of clogging up specific threads. No need to have a discussion on Superman cast in a Wonder Woman dreamcasting thread (unless the discussion SPECIFICALLY ties into the current thread…ex.—talks about why a cast was chosen due to possible crossovers with existing film properties). Also in the General Dreamcasting thread, you can now post random side dreamcasting projects which are open for discussion and use in future rounds that may feature your property (ex.—Doom sees that Kirkman's Invinicble isn't in the property pool…in his sparetime he has created an Invincible cast at posts it. Well 2 weeks later Zombiepanda wins a pitch round and decides to add Invincible to the property pool…then a couple weeks later Bluebeast decides to host an Invincible round. I decide I don't want to make any changes to my existing cast…so I decide to go ahead use my already-made cast in the round. Totally valid.).

So that's what I got. Any serious objections?

And now I totally want to do an Invincible cast.

I know right!

And looking back I don't think we ever had an Invincible round. It would make for an awesome innaugural return round, but I fear it's actually not big enough to start off with to get max participation.

As stated before, I can go ahead and host the first round based on whatever we put in the pool or to be even more fair, I can host the round based on a big project that the majority agrees on (much like how the last one started off with fan-faved Superman) and then we continue to just build the pool for the next (FIRST) winner?

My thoughts for the first round: In honor of Bryan Singer's return to the X-Men franchise......we do an X-Men: First Class cast consisting of Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Iceman, Angel, Professor X and Magneto.

But that's just me......

I know right!
Omni-Man alone would be enough to ensure my participation.
And looking back I don't think we ever had an Invincible round. It would make for an awesome innaugural return round, but I fear it's actually not big enough to start off with to get max participation.

As stated before, I can go ahead and host the first round based on whatever we put in the pool or to be even more fair, I can host the round based on a big project that the majority agrees on (much like how the last one started off with fan-faved Superman) and then we continue to just build the pool for the next (FIRST) winner?

My thoughts for the first round: In honor of Bryan Singer's return to the X-Men franchise......we do an X-Men: First Class cast consisting of Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Iceman, Angel, Professor X and Magneto.

But that's just me......
That sounds good to me. Everyone's familiar with the concept and the characters. And since they're so young it's different enough not to clash with previous casts.

That sounds good to me. Everyone's familiar with the concept and the characters. And since they're so young it's different enough not to clash with previous casts.

I'm actually excited about that one. Even if it's not the first round, I'm suggesting that property go in the pool!

The best thing about it'll be trying to come up with an Xavier that isn't Patrick Stewart. Hmmmmmm........

Latest posts

Back