The All About Radio Thread

Joe Kalicki

Since everything else has its own thread.

After listening to nothing but Sirius for the last few months I've recently gone back to check on the old terrestial radio stations and I have to say Chicago has far and away the best radio I've ever heard. I mean, I knew that since I've travelled a lot, but it kind of really got hammered home. If it wasn't for the commercials I wouldn't even be bothered with Sirius, I think.

This will surprise me if it can sustain conversation. I bet it's going to be 12 posts of E and Joe Kalicki talking about Sirius before it turns into randomness and I have to delete it to save the world from chaos.

Make that 1 post.

This will surprise me if it can sustain conversation. I bet it's going to be 12 posts of E and Joe Kalicki talking about Sirius before it turns into randomness and I have to delete it to save the world from chaos.

Make that 1 post.

Well, it won't be the next Social Thread, that's for sure, but I think it might work out okay.

Since getting Sirius, I just can't listen to terrestrial radio.

The exception is sometimes I'll listen to some local sports talk stations when I go get my lunch, and only because I usually take the auxiliary cable into the office to listen to my iPod while I'm working. So i don't have much choice. Usually I listen to Jim Rome for about 15 minutes.

Every day I listen to Howard Stern on the way to work, except when he does replays on Fridays and I usually listen to Raw Dog (comedy) or Lithium (ch. 24). Depending on my mood, I usually either listen to him on the way home (he replays his show throughout the day and I pick up another hour that I don't hear in the morning) or I might listen to Lithium or just my iPod.

Stations I listen to most - 13 (Elvis), 14 (Classic Vinyl), 24 (90s Alt-Rock), 25 (Underground Garage), 34, 63 (Outlaw Country), 100 (Howard Stern), and 104 (Raw Dog).

I can't stand sitting through 12 minutes of commercials at a time on regular radio. I never listen to Fm radio.

I haven't even scratched the surface on Sirius music stations yet. I got it mostly for Stern. But I listen to Left of Center (26) and the Coffeehouse (30) quite a bit. And Raw Dog occasionally. I like classic radio shows, but I don't really spend enough time in the car to listen to their station (118 ). I suppose if I went cross coutry again it would be great, though.

On terrestrial radio I listen to mostly sports talk, with Boers and Bernstein on 670 the Score being my favorite show.

Last edited:
I don't listen to the radio anymore. Only exception is Christmas time when a local station plays it. I love my Christmas music. LOVE IT!

Only thing I really listen to is my brother's iPod and the music on my laptop.

and the music on my laptop.

Do I have to get the Spoongebob playing Ice the music pirate picture again!

I don't listen to the radio anymore. Only exception is Christmas time when a local station plays it. I love my Christmas music. LOVE IT!

Yeah I'm the same , It's cd's , mp3s or youtube for me. Except for the Christmas music , I HATE christmas and 99% of it's songs

Joe Kalicki said:
Since everything else has its own thread.

I'm going to create the following :

All about Magazines
All about Haircuts
All about shoes
All about Pets
All about Dr. Seuss
All about Mr T
All About Jeans
All about Beer
All about bird watching

and my personal favourite All about philately :lol:

Last edited:
I haven't even scratched the surface on Sirius music stations yet. I got it mostly for Stern. But I listen to Left of Center (26) and the Coffeehouse (30) quite a bit. And Raw Dog occasionally. I like classic radio shows, but I don't really spend enough time in the car to listen to their station (118 ). I suppose if I went cross coutry again it would be great, though.

On terrestrial radio I listen to mostly sports talk, with Boers and Bernstein on 670 the Score being my favorite show.

AM sports talk is the only terrestrial radio I listen to. And when I do it's usually 1130 out of Detroit. Jim Rome is on middays and Stoney & Wojo do the drive home...once in a while I'll listen to them for a half hour on the way home.

The deregulation of radio killed the quality of radio. It's the same boring pap all day on every station - all of the DJs with personalities are either dead or on satellite. I like Sirius because the music stations aren't just music - there are actual DJs who talk, like a radio station but without the music.

I was seriously contemplating getting XM or Sirius. But then I figured that I don't listen to enough radio to even bother.

Maybe if Plain Jane gets me one for my birthday or Christmas or something like that. But otherwise I'll pass for now.

I was seriously contemplating getting XM or Sirius. But then I figured that I don't listen to enough radio to even bother.

Maybe if Plain Jane gets me one for my birthday or Christmas or something like that. But otherwise I'll pass for now.

My wife got it for me about a year before Howard Stern went to Sirius. I was driving over an hour to work (still am, just in the opposite direction) and have listened to Howard Stern for years, so it was nice to have.

Sometimes I take the radio in the house, especially if the Pistons are on and it's not on TV. But not usually. I feel like I get my money's worth if I listen to it just 2.5 hrs a day.

Plus you can listen online, which is nice.

I used to listen to Sirius online but it got blocked at work for some reason.

I ahve one of those radios though, but it's a pain to drag around so I usually just leave it to listen to at home.

In other news, I can't imagine not having a Bulls game on TV. All our sports are on TV every game here. But I do listen to the Cubs on the radio at work or in the car a lot. Baseball's the only reason that I ever considered XM over Sirius. I love baseball on the radio.

I used to listen to Sirius online but it got blocked at work for some reason.

I ahve one of those radios though, but it's a pain to drag around so I usually just leave it to listen to at home.

In other news, I can't imagine not having a Bulls game on TV. All our sports are on TV every game here. But I do listen to the Cubs on the radio at work or in the car a lot. Baseball's the only reason that I ever considered XM over Sirius. I love baseball on the radio.

The Pistons not on TV only happened once in the last 3 or 4 years that I can remember, and now that I think about it it might have even been a preseason game.

I like baseball on the radio too, but the Tigers announcers aren't very good. They're no Ernie Harwell.

What Sirius receiver do you have? I have the Stiletto 100 - very cool.

I had the S50 and really liked it - I just liked the Stiletto better.

Before that I had the Sportster, and before that I had the Xact, which is what my wife got me. But it was a piece of crap and their customer service was TERRIBLE so I ditched it.

What Sirius receiver do you have? I have the Stiletto 100 - very cool.

I got the cheapest one, whatever it's called. The Stratus maybe?

I got Sirius for my girlfriend last Christmas and got hooked at listening to it online, so I went out and bought a cheap one for myself.

The only problem is the Chicago/Joliet radio scene is massive and it's almost impossible to find a completely dead station to get Sirius through. I rarely make a trip where it doesn't cut out every now and then for a terrestrial station.

I got the cheapest one, whatever it's called. The Stratus maybe?

I got Sirius for my girlfriend last Christmas and got hooked at listening to it online, so I went out and bought a cheap one for myself.

The only problem is the Chicago/Joliet radio scene is massive and it's almost impossible to find a completely dead station to get Sirius through. I rarely make a trip where it doesn't cut out every now and then for a terrestrial station.

Those things never work. In my old car I just went and bought an in-dash CD player for $99 that had an auxiliary jack in the front. My new car has it in the factory CD player. Also good for iPods.

I've tried using the Stiletto over FM radio but found that in order to get an even a semi-decent reception I literally have to hold the receiver right in front of the radio face.

I guess I'll have to upgrade, maybe at this Christmas when my membership gets renewed.

Or buy a signal booster, but I don't know if I want that much crap dangling all over the place.

I guess I'll have to upgrade, maybe at this Christmas when my membership gets renewed.

If you're talking about the radio, don't bother. You might as well wait until the merger goes through (assuming it does) and you can get one made specifically for the new format.

Latest posts

Back