The All About Sports Thread: Even Sportier.

Tell Canada to lay out the gold for Holland tomorrow!
Sven Kramer is skating the 5000m. He wins gold, no-one is even gonna touch him.
We're calling it Svencouver!!

With the death of the Olympic Athlete this week a video has been released

WARNING: THIS VIDEO IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART, WATCH IT AT YOUR OWN RISK

say what you want about the setup of the course, but not alot could have saved him. its physics. when your going at over 90+ mph and hit something your body is still going to keep moving and whatever you hit is going to bounce back with a similar force.

its at the 50 sec mark

[video=youtube;OaRb7H6p53A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaRb7H6p53A[/video]

Damnit Canada! Get your ice in shape! This is getting ridiculous!

Yay! Ireen Wüst takes the gold on the 1500 meter!! Whoooooo!!!!

That US/Canada hockey game last night was EPIC.

And I don't even really like hockey.

Damnit Canada! Get your ice in shape! This is getting ridiculous!
yeah, seriously, what the crap? I apologize on behalf of my country.

That US/Canada hockey game last night was EPIC.

And I don't even really like hockey.

HA! Eat it, Canada!

We're better than you at a sport we don't even like.

yeah, that was pretty heart-breaking (for us). Ryan Miller (your goalie, you probably didn't know that) really won the game for you guys. He was on fire last night. we had almost twice as many shots on goal as you guys (45-23) but he just shut us down. Well done. And I'm not even being facetious, team USA did really well. And the game was really epic b/c that was the first time they beat team Canada in over 50 years (although last Olympics our men's hockey team sucked so much that we didn't even get to play you).

We're not out of it yet though, We play Germany in the qualifying round tomorrow (the US has a bye b/c of their record and goes straight to the quarter finals) and then if we win against Germany (and they've lost every game so far, so i'm not too worried) then we face Russia in the quarter finals. That's the one we really need to worry about.

yeah, seriously, what the crap? I apologize on behalf of my country.

Are you guys trying to debunk the myth of canada being covered in snow and ice? Because this would be a pretty smart way of doing that actually.

Ryan Miller (your goalie, you probably didn't know that)

Ryan Miller went to Michigan State - my dad is an alum. We went to a whole bunch of games he played in, including a number during his 10 game shutout streak.

I don't care much for hockey, but I've known of Ryan Miller since he was in college.

yeah, that was pretty heart-breaking (for us). Ryan Miller (your goalie, you probably didn't know that) really won the game for you guys. He was on fire last night. we had almost twice as many shots on goal as you guys (45-23) but he just shut us down. Well done. And I'm not even being facetious, team USA did really well. And the game was really epic b/c that was the first time they beat team Canada in over 50 years (although last Olympics our men's hockey team sucked so much that we didn't even get to play you).

We're not out of it yet though, We play Germany in the qualifying round tomorrow (the US has a bye b/c of their record and goes straight to the quarter finals) and then if we win against Germany (and they've lost every game so far, so i'm not too worried) then we face Russia in the quarter finals. That's the one we really need to worry about.
Dammit, your good sportsmanship is ruining my fun.

4 Ohio State alumni are playing in the Olympics (3 Women's and 1 Men's Hockey), and one current student is playing.

Buckeye Olympians are:

Minttu Tuominen, a freshman, came to Ohio State from Finland. She plans a future career in nutrition, working with young athletes. She will play for Finland.

Emma Laaksonen, who played defense for the Buckeyes from 2001-04 on the team. Laaksonen is the captain of Team Finland; the Vancouver games will be her fourth Olympic appearance.

Lisa Chesson, a defender for the Ohio State women's hockey team from 2005-08, who will play for the U.S.

Tessa Bonhomme, a former all-American and women's team defenseman from 2004-08, will play for Team Canada.

Ryan Kesler, a forward for the Buckeye men's team in 2002-03, rounds out the group. He will play for the U.S.

Last edited:
Ryan Miller went to Michigan State - my dad is an alum. We went to a whole bunch of games he played in, including a number during his 10 game shutout streak.

I don't care much for hockey, but I've known of Ryan Miller since he was in college.

haha, that was my one little jab that i wanted to throw in there. I'm sure a lot of people know who he is.

:twisted:

By the way, we beat Germany 8-2 tonight and Switzerland beat Belarus 3-2, so now we play Russia and you play Switzerland tomorrow in the quarter finals.

Last edited:
For four years everyone in Holland has been looking forward to Sven skating the 10,000m. There was no way he wouldn't win this. And then he gets discualified because he switched to the wrong lane after his coach told him to. He would have gotten the gold with the time he skated.
I've never seen my country this depressed. **** Gerard Kempers and the horse he rode in on.

Also, why the hell is BBC still reporting that Sven was discualified because he crossed the dividing line? Dont report the game if you don't understand the sport BBC!

For four years everyone in Holland has been looking forward to Sven skating the 10,000m. There was no way he wouldn't win this. And then he gets discualified because he switched to the wrong lane after his coach told him to. He would have gotten the gold with the time he skated.
I've never seen my country this depressed. **** Gerard Kempers and the horse he rode in on.

yeah, that really sucks. I hate it when stuff like that happens.

Congrats US, you're in the finals for men's hockey. Canada plays Slovakia in about 15 minutes to find out who you'll be facing.

GO CANADA!!

Yeah the States have been exceptional in these olympics for the men's hockey, undefeated going into the finals is a real accomplishment.

However we (Canada) are going to beat you for the gold, sorry it's just going to happen.

I was hugely dissapointed by the US/Finland game, I know the goaltender Miika Kipprusoff is capable of a much Much MUCH better performance than what he served up in the first period. Hopefully he'll get the chance to redeem himself in the Bronze medal game. I've been watching him play since 2004, that was a disaster.

Yeah the States have been exceptional in these olympics for the men's hockey, undefeated going into the finals is a real accomplishment.

However we (Canada) are going to beat you for the gold, sorry it's just going to happen.

Sounds like fun! You have my support, Canada!

HA! Eat it, Canada!

We're better than you at a sport we don't even like.

fine, good sportsmanship: gone

TAKE THAT SUCKAS! You can't beat us at hockey or curling, those are our sports!

Well, a pretty good Olympics over all, minus the technical glitches and Nodar Kumaritashvili dying. That was tragic :(

And 14 gold metals for my home and native land...an olympic record.

In the spirit of Unity, North America pwned the rest of the world!!! (well i guess if you aren't from North America that wasn't very unifying)

Latest posts

Back