The All-New Dreamcasting Adaptations #01 The Mighty Thor

thee great one

Master of TOG-fu.
1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the round, and thus gets to choose the property or story in question to be adapted. The new round is now to be any adaption from any medium. Comics, books, remakes, video games, etc.

2)They must name core characters to be cast, which should be no less than four, but no more than 9. It is up to the moderator if they should include optional castings. YOU MUST CAST THE CORE CHARACTERS CHOSEN OR YOUR ENTRY WILL NOT BE VALID. There can be an acceptation to the rule if the moderator allows certain characters to be switched. Say for example the round is Teen Titans. The classic Titans are chosen to be cast, but someone wants to cast the current Titans. It is up to the moderator to decide.

3) You may not use actors who have played the role before in the same medium before. Voice talents may not reprise their role, nor can film ones.

4) After the set amount of days, the round is declared closed. People will vote via PM and send it to the moderator, who will count the votes and declare winner. Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself.

5) The winner declared gets to choose the property in the next round.

So I humbly introduce the next round....

THE MIGHTY THOR​

Thor.jpg

You must cast...

Thor

Balder

Heimdall

Odin

Sif

Loki (Male or Female)

Surtur

Optional

Enchantress

Jane Foster

You may try and go for classic Thor, modern Thor, or even Ultimate Thor. However you see fit. Try to fit the classic characters into a more modern setting if need to be.

Round ends 7-16.

Last edited:
Also, of note - this is the new Dreamcasting series. There isn't going to be two separate rounds for comics and adaptations. It's all one now, baby. If needed, I'm sure ourchair will clarify. I guess the Dreammovie thread can go on for a bit longer, since it's probably the most innovative.

Go, my children!

Thor

The way I see it Iron man was a Technology based war film. Hulk was Science fiction mixed with war and the casts reflected that. Thor needs to be Fantasy with a modern backdrop. For that I tried to make my cast in this reflect it. Hopefully it does.

Cast :

Thor – Paul Levesque – I know this choice will cost me the entire round but I believe he's perfect for it. Thor needs to be strong and tough. He also needs to the right look. All of which Paul has and has great. Also he is famous for swinging a hammer like thor. Add it all up and he's perfect..

Balder – Eric Bana – I loved him in Troy and see this character been the same kind of character. He is also a good actor that can work well off the rest of my cast. Not sure 100% about the character was in the comics as I've not seen much of him but that the vibe of got from reading up on him.

Heimdall – John Rhys-Davies – think Gimli in lord of the rings and you know exactly why he is my choice. He looks perfect and can handle the character of Heimdall in way that is both mythical but realistic at the same time.

Odin – Sean Connery – I think first he has the right look of Odin. Second he adds kind of mythical vibe to the movie like when he was in highlander and third he is a great big named actor who could bring to thor what Liam Neeson brought to Batman begins.

Sif – Charlize Theron – It's hard trying to find the right woman for the job. I decided in the end even if the film sucked the was she played Æon Flux was exactly what I was looking for in Sif, Strong , Deadly and sexy but in away that was right for this part.

Loki – Jim Carrey – I see Loki unable to be played by anyone other than Carrey. I see him been played in a similar fashion to how Carrey played the riddler but maybe a bit more twisted and darker. Loki was at one point a trickster and I think that element can be played great by Carrey but the dark evil side at the same time can also be reached by him. Maybe not everyone's choice but he's mine.

Surtur – Michael Clarke Duncan – I know I use him a lot but I needed a big muscular guy who could act out the scenes before they cgi him up but I see it working as a mixture of make-up and cgi like Mystique in x-men. Also his voice an mannerisms can be the threatening menace needed to make the character work.

brand.gif

The movie is set on earth - DONALD BLAKE is a doctor at a Norwegian hospital. He dates nurse JANE FOSTER and looks after a mysterious patient with no name. One day... he starts going insane. He has strange visions of frost giants and mythic lands. He thinks he is being visited by Gods. He escapes to a cave, where he ends up thrusting a stick against rock. He is hit by lightning. The knowledge of thousands before him suddenly hits him. He becomes the Norse God THOR. He understands everything – his origin, Asgard, Ragnarok… After Ragnarok, all of the Norse Gods were reincarnated in human forms. Everything clicks. The patient he was looking after at the hospital is actually his half brother in disguise, who has been manipulating him since day one. He's altered reality to make Thor believe he was human all this time... Thor rushes back to earth and wages an epic battle against Loki, who has allied with the frost giants and other terrible creatures. During the battle, many people witness the terrible event, which awakens something deep inside them. As the fight rages on, Thor finds himself being joined by other Gods such as BALDER, HEIMDALL, SIF and THE WARRIORS THREE. Together, they manage to defeat Loki (along with the help from ODIN, who appears during the battle but disappears quickly afterwards) and Thor imprisons him in a mental prison known as The Isle of Silence, but which is actually just an asylum. Thor returns to his human form and meets the human forms of the other Gods who have helped him… include Jane Foster, who was apparently Sif. They decide to travel the world and seek out other Gods and hopefully return them to their true form. Thor stays behind to look after Loki and to try out his new role: being a hero.

Brad Pitt as Donald Blake/Thor
I'm pretty sure most people are going to pick this or at least think of it, and you know why? Because he's perfect. Not only is a great actor, but he's played a diversity of roles. This Thor is based on Millar/Hitch's Ultimate Thor, who may or may not be insane. Pitt has played plenty of characters who are questioning their sanity, and I think he'd be a brilliant Thor. This movie would have a Fight Club vibe, but with GODS.

Michelle Monaghan as Jane Foster/Sif
She was the chick from Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and Mission Impossible III. I wanted someone who wasn't really recognizable. She has to look normal. She needs to play a nurse and then an *** kicked warrior Goddess. I think she could.

Johnny Depp as Loki
That's right. He's a brilliant actor and I believe he would play a great Loki. He spends the first half of a movie lying in a bed and is hardly seen, but after that, he's commanding frost giants and causing chaos among the populace. He likes to manipulate Blake/Thor... what if he's not actually a God? What if this is all in his head? What if Thor is more ****ed up than Loki is? I'd imagine the only reason why he's the only God who can remember everything about what's happened is because he found a loophole out of Ragnarok... or because he's been planning this for some time. I was thinking of having him being released from the hospital with the help of the Enchantress, but I can't think of anyone to play her yet.

Geoffrey Rush as Odin
He plays Brad Pitt's father. He really only appears in flashback scenes and dreams, but he also plays a small but vital role at the end. Maybe the movie ends with Blake checking out a new patient played by Rush who's wearing an eye patch, and this can be Odin's human form.

Kevin Durand as Heimdall
Heimdall should be a big, scary ****. Kevin Durand is. He's overly protective of his sister, Sif, and maybe he can also play her human brother who would appear once or twice.

Vinnie Jones as Balder
Balder appears during the battle, but he's not really a major role. Just another big and strong Asgardian, which I'm sure Vinnie Jones can do.

Three Guys as The Warriors Three
I don't really care who these three guys are, as long as one's small and French looking, one's tall and blonde, and one's a giant guy who likes to eat. They might be the guys who Blake imagines he's seeing at cafes and restaurants and on the street. Not really important but fun to see.

No one as Surtur
In this movie, no one plays Surtur. He'd just be a giant CGI frost giant monster. He doesn't have a voice.

I'm not really happy with it, but I know if I keep changing it, I'll never post it. I want it to be more like Ultimate Thor, where we're not sure whether he's insane or if he's really a God...

The Mighty Thor

Donald Blake/ Thor: Ewan McGregor/ Brad Pitt
5222273.jpg
troy4.jpg

Just because you need someone to play the very human, very humble Donald Blake half. And you also need someone to play the God of Thunder in all of his arrogance and glory. Both actors for the parts need to be on even playing fields in order to make them feel believable. I look to McGregor's role in Big Fish for that wide-eyed man who is thrust into a fantasy world filled with gods and monsters. Pitt would play the arrogant prick of Thor who is thrust into a life of mortality by his father Odin. During the course of the film you would see McGregor learn how to be a hero and Pitt how to be a human.

Jane Foster: Anne Hathaway
annehathaway2_300.jpg

Pulled between two worlds, Donald Blake would of course be in love with the very human Jane Foster. Foster has to be an every woman, someone whom people could feel for. Anne Hathaway has always played very normal people thrust into fantasy situations. It would be obvious as to why Blake would be in love with her to all but Thor, who would realize eventually how beautiful humans could be.

Balder: Kevin McKidd
jmckidd_025.jpg

As the key to the start of Ragnarok, Balder has been conditioned to be tougher than the rest of the gods. Kevin McKidd would have the absolute perfect attitude in order to bring the invulnerable god to the screen.

Heimdall: Brendan Gleeson
_41014352_gleeson_ap.jpg

Heimdall is one of the greatest warriors in all of Asguard and as such needs to be played by someone with loads of mental physical presence. Gleeson always plays the hard-*** in films and would be great as the warrior.

Odin: Brian Cox
brian_cox.gif

I would like to think that Brian Cox would bring the fatherly nature to the role. But on the other hand he would be tough as nails when forcing one of his sons to give up his godhood and completely ignoring the other. Overall Odin needs to be commanding, Brain Cox can do commanding.

Sif: Angelina Jolie
angelina_jolie.jpg

I think this would be a great parallel to Pitt and Jolie's real life relationship. Compared to her humanitarian work in real life, Sif would completely resent the lesser beings of Midgard and think Thor a fool for choosing them. Besides the fact that Jolie actually looks the part of a goddess, she's always had the real toughness that would characterize the role.

Loki (Male and Female): Cillian Murphy
btmurphy29.jpg

I'd like to think of Loki more in the God of Evil sense than the God of Mischief sense. Loki is kind of a whackjob, and he's been cast off by the other gods for eternity. Eventually Loki cracks which leads to Thor's exile on Earth. Not only is Cillian Murphy androgynous enough to pull of the female part, he's got that creepy *** stare that makes you just think pure evil. I can very much picture Murphy beating the **** out of Thor and ranting at him for the gods abandoning him.

Surtur: Kevin Michael Richardson
453821967_923f2edcc9_o.jpg

Surtur would of course be there for the big fight scene in which Thor would have to face him on Midgard. Besides the fact that Kevin Michael Richardson was on the Knights of Columbus (which gives him a free pass in any movie in my opinion) he's known for voicing strikingly intimidating characters. He'd pull of the huge voice of Surtur well, who would definitely be almost all cgi.

Like Proj's, my Thor movie combines elements from 616 and Ultimate.

Donald Blake - Kevin McKidd
I originally had Brad Pitt as Thor (with Angelina Jolie as Sif, Charlton Heston as Odin, and Heath Ledger as Loki),
mckidd.jpg
mckidd2.jpg

Jane Foster - Elizabeth Banks
Elizabeth Banks plays the "Sif" role, Thor's love interest.
virgin1.jpg

Balder - Ian Somerhalder
He's a little skinny, but if he buffs up he could be perfect in the role. He played Boone in Lost.
isomerhalder3.jpg

Heimdall - John Rhys-Davies
Sorry Mole, but John Rhys-Davies is the only person I can think of to play Heimdall.
2b8ce295.jpg

Odin - CG (voice/motion-capture James Earl Jones)

Loki - Cillian Murphy
Murphy is a scary mother****er. He's also a great actor. I've seen him in Red Eye, Batman Begins, and 28 Days Later.
2006-agius-04.jpg
2005-tiffphc-13.jpg

Surtur - CG
Surtur is a big red CG demon, probably voiced by Frank Welker.

Damn, I swear to the Gods of Norse Mythology that I did not copy your cast, Bluebeast.

...I don't think I'm going to do this after all. I just realized I don't know anything about Thor. Maybe next time.

The Mighty Thor

Donald Blake/ Thor: Ewan McGregor/ Brad Pitt
5222273.jpg
troy4.jpg

Just because you need someone to play the very human, very humble Donald Blake half. And you also need someone to play the God of Thunder in all of his arrogance and glory. Both actors for the parts need to be on even playing fields in order to make them feel believable. I look to McGregor's role in Big Fish for that wide-eyed man who is thrust into a fantasy world filled with gods and monsters. Pitt would play the arrogant prick of Thor who is thrust into a life of mortality by his father Odin. During the course of the film you would see McGregor learn how to be a hero and Pitt how to be a human.

Jane Foster: Anne Hathaway
annehathaway2_300.jpg

Pulled between two worlds, Donald Blake would of course be in love with the very human Jane Foster. Foster has to be an every woman, someone whom people could feel for. Anne Hathaway has always played very normal people thrust into fantasy situations. It would be obvious as to why Blake would be in love with her to all but Thor, who would realize eventually how beautiful humans could be.

Balder: Kevin McKidd
jmckidd_025.jpg

As the key to the start of Ragnarok, Balder has been conditioned to be tougher than the rest of the gods. Kevin McKidd would have the absolute perfect attitude in order to bring the invulnerable god to the screen.

Heimdall: Brendan Gleeson
_41014352_gleeson_ap.jpg

Heimdall is one of the greatest warriors in all of Asguard and as such needs to be played by someone with loads of mental physical presence. Gleeson always plays the hard-*** in films and would be great as the warrior.

Odin: Brian Cox
brian_cox.gif

I would like to think that Brian Cox would bring the fatherly nature to the role. But on the other hand he would be tough as nails when forcing one of his sons to give up his godhood and completely ignoring the other. Overall Odin needs to be commanding, Brain Cox can do commanding.

Sif: Angelina Jolie
angelina_jolie.jpg

I think this would be a great parallel to Pitt and Jolie's real life relationship. Compared to her humanitarian work in real life, Sif would completely resent the lesser beings of Midgard and think Thor a fool for choosing them. Besides the fact that Jolie actually looks the part of a goddess, she's always had the real toughness that would characterize the role.

Loki (Male and Female): Cillian Murphy
btmurphy29.jpg

I'd like to think of Loki more in the God of Evil sense than the God of Mischief sense. Loki is kind of a whackjob, and he's been cast off by the other gods for eternity. Eventually Loki cracks which leads to Thor's exile on Earth. Not only is Cillian Murphy androgynous enough to pull of the female part, he's got that creepy *** stare that makes you just think pure evil. I can very much picture Murphy beating the **** out of Thor and ranting at him for the gods abandoning him.

Surtur: Kevin Michael Richardson
453821967_923f2edcc9_o.jpg

Surtur would of course be there for the big fight scene in which Thor would have to face him on Midgard. Besides the fact that Kevin Michael Richardson was on the Knights of Columbus (which gives him a free pass in any movie in my opinion) he's known for voicing strikingly intimidating characters. He'd pull of the huge voice of Surtur well, who would definitely be almost all cgi.

I swear by Great Odin's Raven that my original cast had Brad Pitt as Thor and Angelina Jolie as Sif.

Project and Bluebeast were awesome casts.

I should of added Jane Foster & Enchantress to the list. I will make them optional. You can sub Foster for Sif if you chose to, for a different love interest.

Last edited:
I was going to participate in this but I see that all of the good choices are already taken. Pretty much everyone did a good job, so I'm just going to stay over here and watch from the sidelines.

At this point in time I'm voting for ProjX2 because that cast is box office GOLD!

THOR, THE GOD OF THUNDER

This is more of an Ultimate Thor take. The idea is that Donald Blake discovers he's Thor. (Either this is in flashback, the opening credits, or what not isn't so important.) He thinks he's a GOD. A Norse God. His purpose is to stop humanity 'sleepwalking into oblivion'. His power, his looks gets him book deals, chat shows. He's a huge celebrity, and extremely controversial just from the crazy. The only reason people talk to him AT ALL (Tom Cruise goes crazy, no one listens) is because he can SUMMON LIGHTNING AND THROW TANKS AROUND. He's absurdly powerful. The film deals wholly with this cult of personality. The responsibilities of fame and celebrity, the vacuousness, the shallowness, the dangers, the good it can do... all that jazz.

But there's more to it. Part of the cult of personality is the terror of insanity. Thor claims he's a god, but has no proof besides the hammer and the powers. The hammer talks to him. He MEETS other Gods, but there's never proof. Some believe him, but some don't. The gods he meets no one else sees or recognizes as a god.

And Thor discovers a military plan - inventing a whole new brand of weapons - human weapons. Giant men. Armoured suits. The head of this is Gunnar Golmen, whom Thor believes to be Loki. He thinks he's making giants on Midgard, he's creating armies of chaos. But to everyone, Thor is just absolutely crazy. One of the designs is a battlesuit called The Destroyer. Based on Stark technology, it's an abhorrently powerful human-tank. Thor proclaims it alive as it starts destroying things, and once he defeats it, he tears it open. The 'sentience' to which he gave it was merely faulty AI. Thor doesn't believe it. OR He tears it open and there's a human inside. Not sure.

But the climax of the film is set: Thor, believed to be insane with stolen super-soldier technology, versus a special crack team of superpowered military agents; The Giant Men, led by the Destroyer.

Whether Thor wins or not doesn't change this fact - we never know if Thor is insane or a god.

THE CAST

Brendan Fraser as THOR
Brad Pitt is an obvious choice, so I'm going for someone else just for fun. Fraser has surprising range as an actor, and I like the idea of Thor starting out as a typical superhero movie with "Brendan 'The Mummy' Fraser" but as the film continues, it becomes darker, and more twisted. Insanity starts to creep into the movie, and soon you can't tell what's really going on. And I think Fraser would really ease that transition.

Johnny Depp as LOKI
The film would step between what Thor sees and whateveryone else sees. Gunnar Golmen, the head of the giant-programme is, in Thor's mind, his evil-half-brother Loki. Johnny Depp can superbly go from the 'innocent scientist' to 'ruthless lord of lies'.

Drea de Matteo as THE ENCHANTRESS
Thor loves the Enchantress. Who's a stripper. Or prostitute. Maybe both. He believes her to be his Asgardian love, Sif. She plays coy. She's the Enchantress. Odin banished to evil Asgardians to Earth. This is one of them.

Adam Baldwin as THE EXECUTIONER
The second of the gods banished to Earth. Again, like The Enchantress, a normal human, whom Thor believes to be a god. This time, it's a horribly abrasive relationship. I'm not sure what to do with these two, but I like the idea.

John Rhys-Davies as VOLSTAGG
This is an Asgardian who volunteers to go to Midgard for the food. The only Asgardian Thor can openly talk to - but he seems to be totally imaginary.

Simon Pegg as HANK PYM
One of the scientists on the projects. He'd be terrific as a down-on-his-luck wife-beater. Also, since Edgar Wright is directing the Ant-Man movie, I felt this would be appropriate.

Bruce Willis as CARL CREEL
Maybe there's no one in the Destroyer - it needs no actor then. Maybe there is, and if so, it should be Carl Creel. After Thor trashes the Destroyer, Loki as Golmen can offer Creel another test in... the sequel!!! But Bruce Willis because I felt Creel gets the job as the Destroyer because he's an exeprienced war veteran, but expendable. He's not promotion material. He gets it mainly because he's a pain in the *** they want him out of the way. Plus, he's old and so if something goes wrong, they don't have to worry about losing a rising star because this is the TEST stages of the experiment. I'm thinking there might even be a cameo by

Latest posts

Back