The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Discussion (SPOILERS)

How would you rate The Amazing Spider-Man 2?

• Total voters

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
This movie made me sad. I actually wanted to walk out about 2/3 of the way through. I guess what makes me the most sad is that it could have been and should have been a lot better.

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were incredible as Peter and Gwen. Again, their relationship carried the movie. Dane DeHaan was pretty good as Harry the hurting young guy and friend of Peter, and Jaime Foxx did a good job as Max Dillon, and as confused electro. But both villain arcs were rushed and dumb. Once Harry and Electro both got mad at Spider-Man, the movie went straight downhill. Harry successfully stormed a prison by himself? What the heck was with Dr Kafka? Why was he a mad scientist caricature? The story of Harry becoming the Green Goblin and the story of Gwen's death are too important to cram together into what was essentially an ad for the future of the franchise.

Also, that was the worst score I've ever heard in a movie. And I usually don't care about stuff like that.

Marc Webb does the personal, character-driven stuff really well. I really liked seeing Peter and Gwen as a couple and Peter and Aunt May butting heads and Peter and Harry catching up. That stuff was excellent. And even Electro as a nerd who gets screwed by Oscorp and then doesn't know what's happening to him at Time's Square while Spidey is trying to talk him down was really good. Spidey in the fire-fighter's hat was hilarious. And then Peter trying to figure out how to fix his web shooter was a great scene too. And then everything sucked after that.

This movie NEEDED to be about Harry and Oscorp. Wrap up the loose ends with the secrets of Peter's parents. Show Oscorp as an evil corporation (using Electro as the driver of that story). Show Harry's sickness affecting him physically and emotionally. Show him go to Peter and Spider-Man for help and his hatred of Spider-Man as a result. Develop that story and the depth of Oscorp's evil well (which they didn't in the actual movie). Then defeat Electro, but make Gwen gets hurt so Peter breaks up with her again. And then have Harry experiment on himself in a post-credits sequence leading to the next movie.

Then in the third movie the main story is about Harry's struggles. He's trying to cure himself, and at the same time is losing his mind and using Oscorp to create super villains to try and kill Spider-Man because he hates him from the first movie (so villains like Rhino and vulture show up for filler action). Introduce MJ as a blind date for Peter that doesn't go anywhere (he and Gwen are still broken up from the previous movie). Have Peter, MJ, Gwen, and Harry all become friends as Peter and Gwen awkwardly still love each other. MJ sort of jerks Harry around like she did in the comics, making his anger worse. Have Peter not think much of MJ because of how she treats his friend. Then have Harry eventually become the full fledged Green Goblin and have a fight between the Goblin and Spidey where Harry learns his identity, leading to a final confrontation where Gwen dies. End the movie with the scene from the comics where MJ stays with Peter to comfort him.

That, in my opinion, would have been THE PERFECT Spider-Man trilogy (although, I'd rather Norman kill Gwen, but whatever).

Sigh, why can't I have nice things? :(

EDIT: Oh yeah, and they left a bunch of stuff out from the trailer again!

Last edited:
I find myself so conflicted about seeing this. Most fan sites says this movie sucks. But outside of the fan community. I hear almost nothing but positive reviews...

I find myself so conflicted about seeing this. Most fan sites says this movie sucks. But outside of the fan community. I hear almost nothing but positive reviews...

You got this with every Transformers movie and I would group this in with those. Its mindless action with barely a plot holding it together. That's what people like to see and I weep for them.

Last edited:

You might need to accept that reviews are often bought. After all, how likely are you to publish a negative review of a movie that bought out every ad space on your website for a week?

You might need to accept that reviews are often bought. After all, how likely are you to publish a negative review of a movie that bought out every ad space on your website for a week?

I'm actually not just talking about sites, co-workers,... not friends but people I know said, that they really liked it.

I'm actually not just talking about sites, co-workers,... not friends but people I know said, that they really liked it.

There were some great parts, to be sure. Particularly, the part where Spidey stands up for the kid who is getting bullied and then walks him home. THAT was Spider-Man. Like I said, the first hour was actually pretty great, but after that, they rushed everything and while there were still some cool parts, it was pretty dumb over all.

There were parts in here I liked but couldn't enjoy properly because it was surrounded by awfulness. Like how Phantom Menace's final action scene had that awesome Darth Maul fight you couldn't properly enjoy because it kept going back to the mediocre fights with Padme and the awful flying with Anakin.

Re: Amazing Spider-Man 2 (news)

I'm surprised at how little regard I have for this and basically have no desire to see it.

I had little to no desire to see it and I did out of my respect for the character and Marvel.

And they **** all over it.

I thought the first movie had something going for it. That something was dynamic between Garfield and Stone. Then I realized that isn't why I want to watch Spider-Man.

This movie had 3 minor villains and the main antagonist, the break up struggle. If the movie had any momentum (it didn't) it was killed by every scene involving Peter and Gwen. It was obnoxious.

Andrew Garfield makes a good Spider-Man with his one liners but is a really terrible Peter Parker.

Jamie Fox does his best Jim Carey doing Edward Nigma. I don't care how much of a loser you are in real life. No one actually gets treated like that that consistently. Electro was all right but wasn't used to potential.

Paul Giamatti is a waste and sounds ridiculous the Rhino armor looks ridiculous too.

Dane Dehaan is probably the saving grace of this movie. The committee scene was the only scene that had me rooting for any character in this film. He nails it except when Garfield ruins their scenes together. Green Goblin wasn't awful but pretty much out of nowhere and under developed.

The movie felt like I was watching Peter and Gwen getting back together the whole time with a few video game cut scenes thrown in.

This might be the most disappointing comic film to date.

How bad is this? I almost went to see it the other day just because I kind of feel obligated to, but I've heard it's TERRIBLE, so I didn't. It is bad bad, or so bad that it becomes entertainingly bad?

I give it a 6.5 out of 10. It was pretty emotional, and all the parts with Peter and Gwen were actually pretty well done. All the villains seemed kinda misused (what was up with Harry's hissy fit anyone??) The fights were cool, but looked like they were specifically done for IMAX (I didn't wanna spend the extra cash on that because of all the negative reviews). In all honesty, the only reason I'm eagerly awaiting the DVD release is for a fan edit that skips over all the cheesey stuff that slowed the pacing down. There's a good movie at the core of it all, but it's deffinitely not anything to write home about as is.

I think my favorite part of the movie was when the end credits scene played and some guy was yelling "AWESOME! THEYRE GONNA CROSS OVER SPIDERMAN AND XMEN!!!"

How bad is this? I almost went to see it the other day just because I kind of feel obligated to, but I've heard it's TERRIBLE, so I didn't. It is bad bad, or so bad that it becomes entertainingly bad?

I sat there squirming and feeling uncomfortable the whole time. Last movie I felt that way was Green Lantern.

Why would you feel obligated to see a Spider-Man movie?

It's not bad, but it's not great either. It's in the middle, IMO.

There are some things that didn't make sense, some pointless parts, but it was still a good movie. It's not as bad as lots of people make it out to be. I would say for you, wait for it to be say in a library or something for you to see it for free if you don't feel like paying to see it in theatres. I gave the movie a 3/5. The visuals was the best part. All of it was, pun intended, amazing.

No. They weren't.
Yes they were, ya prude. :)

Last edited:
They kept trying to make Gwen and Peter a couple and it just fell flat every time. Especially once they started romanticizing stalking.

Spider-Man: Blue shows that that would have been a very good idea.

Especially once they started romanticizing stalking.

Whi.e that was a troubling aspect of the movie, I feel like it's pretty common for people at that age group to see being extremely clingy like that as being romantic. I know that was the case for me at that age. So, the point may not have been to be romanticizing stalking but more so be a realistic interpritation of 18/19 year old kids. Granted, the reason for it being realistic is largely due to how media portrays those types of things, so I guess the whole thing is really a vicious cycle.

Why would you feel obligated to see a Spider-Man movie?

This is a great question, and one I've tried to ask of people who "stick with" bad books out of loyalty or something similar.

If you continue to give people money for making sub-standard quality stuff, guess what? They're going to keep making sub-standard quality stuff. Whether it's because they think that's what people want or because they are getting away with it; it doesn't matter. You are helping dictate the direction they go in when you spend money.

I just can't understand the mentality of feeling like you owe a company something. THEY owe YOU something. Hold them accountable and force them to make good things.

Latest posts

Back