The Amazing Spider-Man (Spoilery discussion)

How would you rate The Amazing Spider-Man?

• Total voters
I thought it was just ok. Andrew Garfield was a better than Maguire as Peter Parker, and Emma Stone was a great Gwen Stacey. Those two were the best parts of the movie for me. It might be because it is pretty much telling the same exact story, but it was just too much like the first film for my taste. I am excited to see where they take the franchise from here, and it will be nice to see them bring more of his supporting characters (like Jameson and Norman Osborn) into the franchise. Overall, it wasn't great but it wasn't bad. I'd give it a C+/B-

Is your dad okay?

Kind of, sort of. Six years ago he slipped one of his disc in his spine. Unfortunatly they say when this happens. It's a life long thing. They'll keep poping out over the years. Right now he can stand and walk for a little while. And other times, like if he needs to go to the bathroom or something. He has to crawl there cause it's to painful to stand.

Anyways, I'm going to see this tomorrow night with some friends, can't wait.

Oh, and here's the latest from Screen Team.

[video=youtube;07nbKOccvog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07nbKOccvog[/video]

I really liked the movie as well, but I think that there were some parts which seemed to have been left out, but I really liked the Stan Lee cameo, it was hilarious. Marc Webb did a great job with this though and he seemed he was born for the role (regarding to his last name). I am hoping I will see it again soon.

Yikes. I really liked Emma Stone and mostly liked Andrew Garfield but the rest... yikes. The whole movie feels incomplete - you can tell just by watching the 100 trailers they released that a lot has been cut out of the movie. What happened to all the stuff about his father? What about the Indian guy? Was there supposed to be a scene with the lizard SWAT team? What about the "Untold Story"? Something has obviously happened behind the scenes, which has resulted in the movie being quite a mess.

I thought it was strange how they almost went out of their way to try to not repeat bits from the first movie. The "with great power comes great responsibility" line is an example of this - what did he actually say in this movie? "Your father said that if you have great power then it is a moral obligation to be responsible with it." Why not just use the line? It would be so much simpler.

The Lizard was a terrible villain. He's never been particularly great in the comics but I thought with three writers writing this movie they could have given him a bit more development. Curt Connors wants to grow a new arm, tests the serum on himself because he's desperate, turns into a giant lizard monster, becomes crazy (as you do), decides to turn everyone into giant lizard monsters. Rubbish. The whole gas cloud thing at the end makes it seem like this movie should have come out immediately after Batman Begins - but no, it's coming out after The Dark Knight and a couple of weeks before The Dark Knight Rises, which means it should have had a better written villain. You shouldn't be allowed to have villains this **** after the Joker.

There was a lot of stuff that just rubbed me the wrong way: not only is Peter relatively normal, but he's actually kind of cool? Why would he be being bullied in the first place? He even skateboards! And what was with the bizarre skateboarding montage set to Coldplay? Why doesn't Peter find Uncle Ben's killer? That's a strange thing to leave unresolved. I also don't get people preferring these versions of Aunt May and Uncle Ben - May in particular felt like she was barely in it and I thought Ben's death in the original was much more dramatic. I don't want to keep comparing this movie to the originals but it's kind of hard not to, especially when so much of them have been rehashed in this one. "The Untold Story" didn't really offer anything new and what little it did was either boring or unnecessary.

I'm really surprised to see so many people say that not only is this movie better than the entire original trilogy but that it's also one of the best comic book movies ever made. The version of Amazing Spider-Man I saw was so half-assed and so forgettable that I just don't understand what everyone else is seeing in this movie. The original trilogy certainly has its flaws (the third is almost nothing but) but I think those first two Spider-Man movies are still the closest we have come to the perfect Spider-Man movie. If someone doesn't know anything about Spider-Man, I'm going to show them those before I show them this.

But man... Gwen Stacy is the best. One movie of Emma Stone is better than three movies of Kirsten Dunst. I am so glad the Lizard didn't use her as bait. I think I would have walked out of the cinema. I want a Gwen Stacy movie. **** Spider-Man.

EDIT: I meant to give it two stars, not three. This is Spider-Man's fault.

Last edited:
OK. I went and saw this last night. I liked it but I have a lot of the same complaints Proj brought up.

It DOES feel incomplete. It makes no sense whatsoever that he shouldn't find the guy that killed Ben. None. There was too much left dangling pointing to a sequel. Maybe it's just me, but the first movie should feel complete. Maybe there are a few questions, but nothing so blatantly unresolved as the killer still on the run or whatever they are going to make happen with Peter's parents.

Too much of this felt like a bad 90s superhero movie. We're supposed to be getting away from this kind of stuff. Gas clouds? A guy who hates humanity so he wants to turn them all into lizards? It's pretty dumb. They don't have to make movies with plot points like that any more. We've moved past that. When the gas cloud went off I just felt...defeated. It's Magneto's magnet transforming thing from X-Men all over again. WE DON'T HAVE TO DO STUFF LIKE THAT ANYMORE, GUYS. WE KNOW BETTER NOW.

Another thing that really bugged me - between the time that the evacuation of the city is ordered and Peter returns home from saving the city, we see NOTHING of Aunt May. Are we led to believe that in the entire time the ENTIRE CITY OF NEW YORK is evacuating (think of what a huge deal that is) she's just sitting in her kitchen making spaghetti & meatballs? She's not looking for or even calling Peter?

Also - the web shooters. I'm an organic web shooters guy. I prefer them. But the movie would have in no way been ruined by mechanical web shooters. Now, the argument I've always heard against organic web shooters is that it shows Peter's ingenuity. I get that...I don't think it's completely necessary but I certainly get the argument. But while he did invent the shooters themselves, he didn't even invent the webs! He just stole them! That just seems so out of character to me.

What I did like - the casting. It was fantastic. This is no where near the best super hero movie ever made but it might be the best cast and it might have the best acting. Andrew Garfield is Peter Parker. He just clicked immediately. And the chemistry onscreen with Emma Stone was perfect. They could not have cast this movie better, and the acting could not have been better (save for a couple of scenes, but they weren't a big deal).

With all the faults, this movie was miles beyond the first trilogy in terms of quality. I don't care for them in the first place but this one just makes them look bad.

I just wish I could've walked away from this one feeling like they made a perfect Spider-Man movie like I did after Avengers, feeling like they made a perfect Avengers movie. In that regard it was a pretty big disappointment.

I gave it 4 stars because I liked the cast and acting so much but the plot issues really make it closer to a 3 or slightly lower. That has to be pretty bad for me to notice something like that - I never critique movies like that as I'm watching them.

Also, disappearing webs. Seems when it was inconvenient, webbing just disappeared. Like when he webs Gwen back over to him. I agree about the incompleteness factor of this movie.

I don't think it was the entire NYC that had to be evacuated. That'd be impossible to do with how fast the bio gas would travel. They said it was a portion of that part of the city, from one certain block range to another. And I don't think we were told if Aunt May/Peter lived in the portion that had to go or not, but either way, it would be weird that Aunt May wouldn't try to find out where Peter was, I agree.

Did anyone else assume that Aunt May knows that Peter is Spider-Man? After he comes back from his fight with Killer Croc all beaten and bloody she doesn't mention it at all, while earlier in the movie she was freaking out that he had a black eye. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

The more I think about this movie the less I liked it. I probably should have given it a 2. The tone was all over the place and Killer Croc was a weak villain who never reall had clear motivations for his terrorist attack. The first three movies have been playing on TV constently this weekend and I was able to watch the first two. Both have held up well and are better than I remembered.

I also read it as Aunt May figuring it out.

As for the original movies, I will always like the first two, the second always being the best & favorite of them. I just liked how Amazing was handled and done better, IMO.

I don't think Aunt May figured it out. She was just glad he was OK. I really hope she didn't figure it out.

Another complaint I forgot about - the music. It was mostly pretty bad and inappropriate a lot of the time, like it didn't fit and, again, sounded like something from a bad 90s movie.

Also - the crane part was terrible. It was so hokey and lame. It was completely unnecessary. I don't want to see people rallying around Spider-Man at this point, and certainly not in a lame manner. If I had been more put off my the movie as a whole I might have thought about walking out at that point - it was really, really bad.

I did really like the fight sequences and the part where he crawled around Lizard like a spider while webbing him up was really cool.

Finally got to see this last night. I didn't get as much sleep as I wanted before I saw it. So I wasn't as into it as I could have been. I liked it but, still it didn't live up to what I was expecting.

Did anyone else assume that Aunt May knows that Peter is Spider-Man?

Yup totally.

Yeah, I do think see figured it out. Not sure if I like how easy it is for poeple to find out Peter is Spider-Man.

E said:
I don't think Aunt May figured it out. She was just glad he was OK. I really hope she didn't figure it out.

I hope she didn't either. I want to see Peter sneaking in and trying not to get caught being Spider-Man.

The Lizard was a terrible villain. He's never been particularly great in the comics but I thought with three writers writing this movie they could have given him a bit more development. Curt Connors wants to grow a new arm, tests the serum on himself because he's desperate, turns into a giant lizard monster, becomes crazy (as you do), decides to turn everyone into giant lizard monsters. Rubbish. The whole gas cloud thing at the end makes it seem like this movie should have come out immediately after Batman Begins - but no, it's coming out after The Dark Knight and a couple of weeks before The Dark Knight Rises, which means it should have had a better written villain. You shouldn't be allowed to have villains this **** after the Joker.
You know what really got me was the fact that Dr. Connors was good and then only bad after his exposure to the Lizard DNA. The reason it bothered me was shouldn't it have the same affect on Peter? Why didn't he go all "I'm superior and gonna make a Spider-Man army too"? I thought since Lizard saw the whole superior schtick he would have tried to get Peter on his side.

There was a lot of stuff that just rubbed me the wrong way: not only is Peter relatively normal, but he's actually kind of cool? Why would he be being bullied in the first place? He even skateboards!
You knew he wasn't gonna be nerdy enough from the trailers. It was once of my main problems from the start.

I'm really surprised to see so many people say that not only is this movie better than the entire original trilogy but that it's also one of the best comic book movies ever made. The version of Amazing Spider-Man I saw was so half-assed and so forgettable that I just don't understand what everyone else is seeing in this movie. The original trilogy certainly has its flaws (the third is almost nothing but) but I think those first two Spider-Man movies are still the closest we have come to the perfect Spider-Man movie. If someone doesn't know anything about Spider-Man, I'm going to show them those before I show them this.
Agreed. Newsarama bumped it up to like their 4 best comic film ever. I wanted to toss the computer out of the window. It was better than I thought but half-assed sums it up pretty much.

I also read it as Aunt May figuring it out.
Yeah. Easily. I think they're gonna go in so many different directions with it that they're gonna make Spider-Man publicly liked and a lot more people are gonna know his identity.

Last edited:
You know what really got me was the fact that Dr. Connors was good and then only bad after his exposure to the Lizard DNA. The reason it bothered me was shouldn't it have the same affect on Peter? Why didn't he go all "I'm superior and gonna make a Spider-Man army too"? I thought since Lizard saw the whole superior schtick he would have tried to get Peter on his side.

Maybe, it was the way he got it introduced into his system. Peter got bit by a Spider that was already infected with the serum. Which would make the serum a weaker dose. Or the mixture of Spider venom deluded the serum. Where Conners infected himself directly.

It could of been the anger that was in Conners. Sometimes when people get a new found power. Or are put into a higher... social status or even lower. People can often become more of the person they really are.

Last edited:
I'm not even going to comment on that crane scene, but did anyone else notice the distractingly loud piano notes during the part where Gwen is hiding from the Lizard in that closet in Oscorp?

I'm not even going to comment on that crane scene, but did anyone else notice the distractingly loud piano notes during the part where Gwen is hiding from the Lizard in that closet in Oscorp?

Yeah, that was a bit much. It scared the crap out of me when I was listening to the track from the score over at youtube. But then agian I had the volume up a bit.

Maybe, it was the way he got it introduced into his system. Peter got bit by a Spider that was already infected with the serum. Which would make the serum weaker dose. Or the mixture of Spider venom deluded the serum. Where Conners infected himself directly.

It could of been the anger that was in Conners. Sometimes when people get a new found power. Or are put into a higher... social status or even lower. People can often become more of the person they really are.

I am wondering if Peter's father had experimented on Peter as a child and that explains it. (more of "the untold story" perhaps) Wasn't there a line where Lizard/Conners asks Peter if he thinks he (Peter) is an accident? I seem to remember that line from previews but I don't remember it in the actual movie.

Latest posts

Back