The Apple Products Thread

Did anyone try and order an iPhone 4 today? They sold out of the preorder allotments and there were widespread preordering problems (looks like AT&T was to blame).

I walked into Best Buy at 10:30 AM on a whim and ordered mine. i was in and out in about 5 minutes.

Hopefully they don't get shortchanged but even if they do, it's not a huge deal. Some people were freaking out about it. You'll have your phones, people. Sheesh.

I went to Best Buy even though I hate them because they had 18 mos. same as cash. Not too shabby.

It required a $50 deposit and they call the day before to set an appointment time to activate the phone. They didn't even check to see if I was upgrade price eligible when I paid for it (I am).

But that lack of interaction with AT&T during the reservation is probably what is saving Best Buy orders. They probalby have a set amount coming in that was decided per store before today and they are selling out of their own allotment. They don't need to touch base with AT&T until the phone is activated.

I got a black 32GB. Wish there was a 64GB version.

600,000 iPhone4's were preordered yesterday, crashing AT&T's approval system, and selling out what Apple had allotted for preorder.

To put it in perspective. When the 3GS went to preorder, it presold 40,000 units its first week of preorder.

No one else is getting one?

Best Buy called me and said the 32GB units they received were defective, so I won't be getting mine on launch day.

No one else is getting one?

Best Buy called me and said the 32GB units they received were defective, so I won't be getting mine on launch day.

How could they tell the units were defective? Smells kinda fishy to me.

I got mine yesterday... still can't activate it till tomorrow. :(

How could they tell the units were defective? Smells kinda fishy to me.

Yeah, to me too.

They were supposed to call on the 23rd to set up the activation app't for the 24th. By lunch on the 23rd I hadn't received a call so I thought I'd stop in. The guy I talked to said I was called the evening of the 22nd and was left a message - yet I had no missed calls or messages.

He set up my app't and I went back to work. This store is literally a 5 minute drive from work. So I get back and received a call just after I walked in the door. I was away from the phone and he left a message saying that they had him "unbrick" the phones (his words - he's referring to some kind of lockdown on the phone that has to be removed; this prevents them from being stolen off the truck for example and used) and they found that both 32GB phones were defective (I was 3rd in line for preorders - they received 5 phones and 2 of them were 32s).

I'm not even sure how true that is that they come "bricked" or locked but whatever. But even if it is - he attempted unlocking at least 2 phones (and logic says he would unlock all 5, not just 2) and found both failed...in literally 5 minutes? I don't think so.

Before I left to go home I called up to the store to check and see if they had any more come in so I could swing by on my way home (I live an hour away). After checking, the girl I talked to said they didn't receive enough phones to cover the preorders and I had just missed out. So this is a completely different story, and contradicts basically everything the first guy told me.

I called again this morning and the guy said my phone wasn't in but they might get more in today and I was next in line for a 32GB. This also contradicts what the first guy said.

I'm not upset over not getting a phone like some people are (there are Apple forum posts with people going ballistic over not getting one) - I understand the hype and limited supply; it's not like i *need* it and I'll get one eventually. But I *really* hate being lied to, and I think that's what is going on here. They are making me suspicious that someone is holding phones for themselves, friends, or family.

I really loathe Best Buy. If it wasn't for the 18 mos no interest I would have preordered from Apple.

Yeah, to me too.

They were supposed to call on the 23rd to set up the activation app't for the 24th. By lunch on the 23rd I hadn't received a call so I thought I'd stop in. The guy I talked to said I was called the evening of the 22nd and was left a message - yet I had no missed calls or messages.

He set up my app't and I went back to work. This store is literally a 5 minute drive from work. So I get back and received a call just after I walked in the door. I was away from the phone and he left a message saying that they had him "unbrick" the phones (his words - he's referring to some kind of lockdown on the phone that has to be removed; this prevents them from being stolen off the truck for example and used) and they found that both 32GB phones were defective (I was 3rd in line for preorders - they received 5 phones and 2 of them were 32s).

I'm not even sure how true that is that they come "bricked" or locked but whatever. But even if it is - he attempted unlocking at least 2 phones (and logic says he would unlock all 5, not just 2) and found both failed...in literally 5 minutes? I don't think so.

Before I left to go home I called up to the store to check and see if they had any more come in so I could swing by on my way home (I live an hour away). After checking, the girl I talked to said they didn't receive enough phones to cover the preorders and I had just missed out. So this is a completely different story, and contradicts basically everything the first guy told me.

I called again this morning and the guy said my phone wasn't in but they might get more in today and I was next in line for a 32GB. This also contradicts what the first guy said.

I'm not upset over not getting a phone like some people are (there are Apple forum posts with people going ballistic over not getting one) - I understand the hype and limited supply; it's not like i *need* it and I'll get one eventually. But I *really* hate being lied to, and I think that's what is going on here. They are making me suspicious that someone is holding phones for themselves, friends, or family.

I really loathe Best Buy. If it wasn't for the 18 mos no interest I would have preordered from Apple.

The "bricking" they're talking about is that the phones couldn't be activated until today at 9am. They'd power on but you couldn't go through the activation process. My guess, the BB employees wanted first dibs on the phones. Apple's already investigating stories where customers are being told by Best Buy and Radio Shack that a large number of preorders were "defective" yet the "defective" phones aren't being entered into the return system.

I had problems activating mine this morning. The activation servers were friggen hammered, it activated on the second try.

Last edited:
The "bricking" they're talking about is that the phones couldn't be activated until today at 9am.

Seriously? If that's the case then of course they would be "defective" - he was trying to unlock them on the 23rd. What an idiot.

Not taking away from the idea that they were keeping the phones for themselves, but that is another possibility.

ETA: got a source for the report that Apple is investigating funny business on the part of Best Buy & Radio Shack?

Seriously? If that's the case then of course they would be "defective" - he was trying to unlock them on the 23rd. What an idiot.

Not taking away from the idea that they were keeping the phones for themselves, but that is another possibility.

ETA: got a source for the report that Apple is investigating funny business on the part of Best Buy & Radio Shack?

Sadly no, I caught it on CNBC while channel surfing, but I'm wondering if it was more of the fact that the kiosk monkeys didn't understand that the phones were timed, then actually wound up activating later for customers (ie: first come first serve).

Personally, I'm trying to replicate this antenna issue that people (albeit the idiot on ABC's Morning Show and the Fandroids are screaming about). So far, no luck, as there's a bunch of hoops and an unnatural hand position involved as well.

Sadly no, I caught it on CNBC while channel surfing, but I'm wondering if it was more of the fact that the kiosk monkeys didn't understand that the phones were timed, then actually wound up activating later for customers (ie: first come first serve).

Personally, I'm trying to replicate this antenna issue that people (albeit the idiot on ABC's Morning Show and the Fandroids are screaming about). So far, no luck, as there's a bunch of hoops and an unnatural hand position involved as well.

Update: got mine today.

As for the antennae issue - I haven't really been able to duplicate it either. The area I'm in right now has a really wonky signal and it's impossible to tell if the signal is fluctuating naturally or if the antennae is being screwed up.

The article I read said all you have to do is make sure you don't cover up both of the black bands and you'll be fine.

Update: got mine today.

As for the antennae issue - I haven't really been able to duplicate it either. The area I'm in right now has a really wonky signal and it's impossible to tell if the signal is fluctuating naturally or if the antennae is being screwed up.

The article I read said all you have to do is make sure you don't cover up both of the black bands and you'll be fine.

Yeah, that's pretty much what everyone from Steve Jobs to Engadget has said. Maybe my hands are too small, and I generally hold my phone with my fingers, not my whole hand. I have read that the Bumpers that Apple sells completely solves the problem for those who have it, so, my guess, we're going to see Apple do what Nintendo did with the WiiMote issues.

**Update**
Looks like the antenna issue is a firmware/software issue, and will be resolved with monday's iOS4.1 patch.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/06/25/death_grip_hysteria_may_end_monday_with_ios_4_01.html

Last edited:
what good (free) screen capture software is there for macs?

I want to make a video of a prezi that I made, but I can't find a good screen recording freeware. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
what good (free) screen capture software is there for macs?

I want to make a video of a prezi that I made, but I can't find a good screen recording freeware. Any suggestions?

Not sure for video. For stills you just hit Command+Shift+3

Command + Shift + 4 also lets you select areas of the screen to capture. :)

In case no one's heard yet. The new iCloud service is partially live. If you get iTunes 10.3, or use an iOS device. You can now redownload (for free) any music or music video purchased from the iTMS. You can also set both iTunes 10.3 and your iOS device to auto download when you purchase new music (or music video)/app/book from another device.

So, example; you download the new Stephen King book on your iPad, your computer will also download it via iTunes whenever the application is opened next (or if it's already open).

In case no one's heard yet. The new iCloud service is partially live. If you get iTunes 10.3, or use an iOS device. You can now redownload (for free) any music or music video purchased from the iTMS. You can also set both iTunes 10.3 and your iOS device to auto download when you purchase new music (or music video)/app/book from another device.

So, example; you download the new Stephen King book on your iPad, your computer will also download it via iTunes whenever the application is opened next (or if it's already open).

I don't know what is so "cloud" about what they've done so far. In iTunes/App Store on my iOS devices I just have screens to download what I already bought. It's just easier to find things (sort of - I wish we could sort alphabetically).

The "real" cloud features will be cool though - I'm geeked for iMessaging and the prospect of game saves being kept in iCloud.

Can't wait for the new notification system either. I'm tempted to upgrade to iOS 5 but will hold off.

Latest posts

Back