The Big Bang Theory (CBS) (Discussion/Spoilers).

Ok.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment---I have decided to push thru my hatred (although, it is lessening) for this show and just see how it all unfolds.

I am now as far as the second episode in Season 3.

On one hand I've continued to watch because I am actually interested in the Leonard/Penny "will they...won't they" aspect (I'm a sucker for a cute love story like that)........and the fact that I am slightly bored out here.

But on the other hand, I'm still insulted by the stereotypes this show continues to portray. Especially at the fact that these "nerds" have not adapted to interacting with women despite their ready access to a platonic source.

I will be horribly disappointed at the fact that I think it will end badly for Leonard/Penny. I am also laughing at Penny being trained with chocolates. To her credit, I cannot think of a more perfect actress for the role. She is hot...but accessible...funny. Great for the role.

But admittedly, I prefer Leonard's previous girlfriend the doctor. But then again I've always had a thing for Sara Rue. Even when she was fatter. I can't explain it.

ProjectX2 said:
I would like it more if half the guys were just nerds instead of apparently being fully retarded.

I feel the same.

Last edited:
It kind of frightens me that there are a bunch of soldiers somewhere watching The Big Bang Theory.

They're staff soldiers.

They do admin stuff. So they have plenty of time on their hands.

Although I do think they don't deserve to watch the show since they don't get a lot of the references and are constantly asking me what a lot of the stuff means.

They should watch The Wire instead.

Ok.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment---I have decided to push thru my hatred (although, it is lessening) for this show and just see how it all unfolds.

I am now as far as the second episode in Season 3.

On one hand I've continued to watch because I am actually interested in the Leonard/Penny "will they...won't they" aspect (I'm a sucker for a cute love story like that)........and the fact that I am slightly bored out here.

But on the other hand, I'm still insulted by the stereotypes this show continues to portray. Especially at the fact that these "nerds" have not adapted to interacting with women despite their ready access to a platonic source.

I will be horribly disappointed at the fact that I think it will end badly for Leonard/Penny. I am also laughing at Penny being trained with chocolates. To her credit, I cannot think of a more perfect actress for the role. She is hot...but accessible...funny. Great for the role.

But admittedly, I prefer Leonard's previous girlfriend the doctor. But then again I've always had a thing for Sara Rue. Even when she was fatter. I can't explain it.

You forgot to mention how awesome Sheldon is.

I'm caught up on this and I still can't stand it!

It's just so...so...so stereotypical! Geek carries around an actual Green Lantern lantern and another girl finds its cool and hot and he's so oblivious that he can't capitalize on that?!?!?

Ugh.

That's the whole point of it. Why are you still watching if you can't stand it? Even though you're limited, there's got to be other things to watch. :neutral:

I DON'T KNOW?!?!?!

I mean I could be watching Deadwood or Freaks and Geeks or Firefly or even MadMen.....but no!

Plus it's just something to watch to kill time with while I'm here. I refuse to watch this once I get back to the states.

Geek carries around an actual Green Lantern lantern and another girl finds its cool and hot and he's so oblivious that he can't capitalize on that?!?!

But that's Sheldon he was oblivious because he's still in some ways innocent and also he's kind of Asexual in that he doesn't find any woman to be a sexual partner or as a love interest. However the rest of them would have taken advantage of it or at least noticed. It's also been guessed he has Asperger syndrome in the way he behaves which would make sense.

one of my favorite episode so far this season

Mr. T's heads on a Spock body "I pity the fool who's logical"

Raj - "an Aquaman Action figure"
Howard - "looks like someone drew a penis on 'em"
Raj - "that'll come off"" (proceeds to wipe it off using his thumb)

i couldn't stop laughing

one of my favorite episode so far this season

Mr. T's heads on a Spock body "I pity the fool who's logical"

Raj - "an Aquaman Action figure"
Howard - "looks like someone drew a penis on 'em"
Raj - "that'll come off"" (proceeds to wipe it off using his thumb)

i couldn't stop laughing

I also liked Sheldon's Orange Lantern shirt.

I just started watching this this week and I'm a few episodes into season 3. I love it! I think my favourite part so far was when Penny wanted to buy a comic book for her nephew's birthday and she goes in and picks up a tpb and has the following conversation with Sheldon:

Penny: How about this one?
Sheldon: Oh, excellent choice. Assuming your nephew has read Infinite Crisis, 52, and is familiar with the reformation of the DC multiverse...
Penny: What's a multiverse?
Sheldon [to Leonard]: Get her out of here!

hahaha, so perfect. I tried explaining the DC history to someone once and it sort of went like that. They wanted to get into Superman but didn't know where to start. They were confused b/c Superman has been going since the 1930s and they didn't understand why there were multiple origin stories (Man of Steel, Birthright, Origin).

I kind of had a Morpheus moment, "Do you really want me to explain this? If you say yes, you stay in wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

Woo-hoo! Someone else who loves it!

IMO, it only gets better. Great character development keeps happening for everyone while still keeping the hilarity in tact.

I really don't get Doom's issues with it (what happened to that guy, anyway?)

Sure the show is fully of stereotype, but its not like they aren't at least grounded in reality.., they're all just exaggerated truths. That's what makes the show both funny and relatable.

And don't even try to tell me that there aren't guys like that out there.

Last edited:
I really don't get Doom's issues with it (what happened to that guy, anyway?)

Sure the show is fully of stereotype, but its not like they aren't at least grounded in reality.., they're all just exaggerated truths. That's what makes the show both funny and relatable.

And don't even try to tell me that there aren't guys like that out there.

Doom has an acquired taste when it comes to movies, tv, and comic books. He's one of the hardest to please people on this board. As to what happened to Doom, I think he is still over in afghanistan. You'd have to ask Ice or Houde to know for sure. He seemed the closest to them.

Nope, he got divorced for the second time (this one took most his stuff and gave away his dog) and last was known to be working on a secret government base which has no cell service.

I am sure Doom has become a Super Soldier.

I don't find the show particularly funny, or even really relatable. Maybe it's the sheer saturation of it into everywhere I go that's supposed to be nerdy - the show is fine, I guess (it's great airplane watching), and its cast has good chemistry, but it's not a show for geeks at all. It's a show ABOUT geeks, by and for the general non-geeky public. You want a truly geeky show? Something that actually references (rather than insincerely parrots) geek culture and feels more like a celebration of it as a result? Watch Community.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing - every show has its audience - but it's seen as this great example of nerd culture when it actually really isn't. And it's everywhere as a result. I find it obnoxious.

Also, somebody explain Bazinga to me. I don't get it. Where's the joke there? Why is it funny?

Latest posts

Back