The Classic Games Club

Doublehex

Play games with others and discuss it!

That's pretty much the main idea of this little idea of mine. Essentially, for one month, we will all play a classic game, and discuss it as we all play through it. We will all share our thoughts and observations of the game(s) as we play through them.

What are the requirments? There are none. Just so long as you are willing to participate, that is good enough for me.

What shall we do in detail? Well, basically, we will first decide which game we will play. They won't be limited to just PC Games - although our first game very well will be - and after that, we will give a 2-3 week period before starting the game. Then, we play the game for a month, at our own pace.

You don't need to play at a super heightened pace. Just play it, and comment on it. Of course, we'd prefer it if you played it each day, but meh, do what you want.

After the month has passed, we will recycle the cycle.

Sound good guys? If so, say so! If it's popular enough, I'll start a forum, I'll make our first poll, and we can get this ball rolling.

Last edited:
I think a bunch of us playing Pong and discussing it would be incredibly awesome.

"A classic is classic not because it conforms to certain structural rules or fits certain definitions. It is classic because of a certain eternal and irrepressible freshness."

So yeah, Starcraft would be one of my definitions of a classic. And Fallout. And Planescape: Torment. And Sands of Time. And Deus Ex.

And.........

Last edited:
Well, we'd probably NOT do WoW...or most multiplayer games.

Mostly because singleplayer games > multiplayer games. :D

Well, we'd probably NOT do WoW...or most multiplayer games.

I would defend WoW to the death, but this isn't the place... I do however think that a game from each of Blizzard's franchises would be deserved of a spot. Most likely Warcraft 3, Starcraft and Diablo 2. Each one of those games is a classic in it's genre. And one is them is practically a national sport in Korea...

I would defend WoW to the death, but this isn't the place... I do however think that a game from each of Blizzard's franchises would be deserved of a spot. Most likely Warcraft 3, Starcraft and Diablo 2. Each one of those games is a classic in it's genre. And one is them is practically a national sport in Korea...

I have no problem with doing a Blizz game.

Just not for the very beginning. :)

That's just not true. Multi-player is much more fun.

However back on topic. This is a great idea. I just will not be doing it as my pc is **** and installing a lot of games would be a problem.

That's just not true. Multi-player is much more fun.

However back on topic. This is a great idea. I just will not be doing it as my pc is **** and installing a lot of games would be a problem.

Well, the games we'd start off would be fairly old. Grim Fandango came out in '98, Deus Ex in '00.

Your PC should be just fine. And we won't do JUST PC Games, although those will be the first.

Warcraft III and Max Payne are considered classic gaming now, Hellsbuttmonkey?

T___T

... And here I was about to suggest games from 1992.

Well, a classic in videogames can't be described the same as a classic for movies and books.

The most obvious reason is that they are totally different mediums. Both movies and books are all about story first and foremost. Videogames, on the other hand, need to present good gameplay. If it's not fun to play, than the game is not fun. Having a well told story is very much optional, although it can easily be said that is one of the main reasons why videogames are not considered art by the mainstream.

But, I digress...

Videogames are also much younger than movies, and even more so than books! Movies have close to 80 years of films to choose from, a wide spectrum of narrative. Book have three times that. Video games? It has only been within the past 10-15 years that technology has reached the point where developers can make a good game as well as tell a riveting tale.

So, we have to be a little more lenient when we consider what games should be played for this club, but even then, we need a limit. In the years to come, games like Okami, and Viewtiful Joe and No More Heroes will surely be considered classics. But now? They are just really good games.

The Godfather wasn't the classic when it was released. It was just a very good movie.

That is why I think the limit should be 2004/2005. That is the last year of the previous generation, and I think that is far enough behind us for us to look back on it from a constructive POV.

But we can't do TOO old, because, unlike movies, we can't just DL a copy of Return to Krondor and play it. DOS games in particular are very hard to work on modern day system, such as XP and (God forbid) Vista.

So, that is why I think Starcraft would be an excellent contender for one of the games we play. Because it is a classic. That is undeniable. Starcraft is one of the best games ever made and it has a pretty good tale to tell as well!

Warcraft III and Max Payne are considered classic gaming now, Hellsbuttmonkey?

That is why I think the limit should be 2004/2005. That is the last year of the previous generation, and I think that is far enough behind us for us to look back on it from a constructive POV.

Using this guideline, yes, Warcraft 3 and Max Payne would fall under 'classic' as WC3 was released in 2002 (and its expansion The Frozen Throne in 2003) and Max Payne hit the shelves in 2001.

So, that is why I think Starcraft would be an excellent contender for one of the games we play. Because it is a classic. That is undeniable. Starcraft is one of the best games ever made and it has a pretty good tale to tell as well!

Very true. The 3 imbalanced races, as opposed to a lot of RTS games 2 different-but-the-same races (Including Blizzard's Warcraft: Orcs and Human and Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness, made the game more challenging I thought, as you have to develop your different plans of attack against a zergling rush, or many other tactics only one race could pull off. The storyline is brilliant (although the story in Warcraft 3 is my all time favourite game storyline) and I can't wait for Starcraft 2!

Using this guideline, yes, Warcraft 3 and Max Payne would fall under 'classic' as WC3 was released in 2002 (and its expansion The Frozen Throne in 2003) and Max Payne hit the shelves in 2001.
Oh I didn't see the guidelines.

*cries*

I play OLD games now!

Old games =/= lack of quality.

New games =/= increase in quality.

Thus, applying this method...

Fallout 3 < Fallout 1+2

Planescape: Torment > All Bioware games after Neverwinter Nights

Oh, another suggestion of a game..

Star wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Well, I *really* wouldn't call that a classic of the RPG genre. It has more than its share of flaws. It's a fairly good game though.

But hey, one step at a time. First things first - Deus Ex, or Grim Fandango? I'm leaning towards Deus Ex myself.

Latest posts

Back