The Dropping Thread

Dancanread

Let's see if this works.

With the cost of living such as it is, and books no longer costing 50 cents like they did when I was a kid, there are some titles that just don't make the pull list anymore. So I thought I'd make this thread to specifically discuss the titles you've dropped, or are coming very close to dropping, and why. And maybe some can plead the case against. Or whatever. I think it's a neat idea and I'm bored at work. Anyway, since i started collecting again for me it's been:

Skye Runner- dropped after 3 issues. Looked like a neat idea, the main character was hot, and i like fantasy settings, but the writing was just uninteresting and all over the place.

DMZ- dropped after the public works arc. yeah, i know, it's great. i respect it. i think i just get enough war bleakness from the news these days. just not my cup of tea.

i'm considering dropping:

Deadman- interesting idea, but muddy in execution and suffers from Lost's syndrome of not letting anyone in on wtf is happening. And the art, though pretty and atmospheric, is often confusing.

Battlestar Galactica- one of my favorite shows. i was looking forward to the comic. why drop? the characterizations are okay, but the art is kinda bleah, and i feel like the show is so linear and focused in one direction that the struggle to sandwich the comic into continuity shows through. The Zarek mini was dull and unnecessary, and there's another mini coming that safely takes place two years before the cylons attack everyone. Meh.

Recently I have dropped Outsiders and Checkmate. I was going to drop Outsiders and I didn't want to stick through it any more just because of the crossover so I dropped them both.

I just dropped Teen Titans. With Johns leaving and a few Amazon Attacks issues it's a good point for it. Might pick it back up if it has any Countdown connections, since Beechen writes both and I actually like the last couple issues he scripted.

I'm dropping Toyfare too, since I haven't even read the last two or three issues and I don't buy many toys anyway.

I'll probably drop Immortal Iron Fist after next issue, and Punisher War Journal.

I've dropped the marvel universe (616). I've got so much other better stuff to read, and i can't really be arsed with it since Civil war...i'm still reading amazing until JMS leaves..then we'll see...At the minute I'm reading

Alan Moore's early DC work (well I've read everything but swamp thing now)
then I'll move onto 52...then maybe America's best comics...tho i want to catch up on some of the green lantern stories pre-IC.
I've also got loads of Vertigo series in mind to read: Fables, Y, DMZ, lucifer, hellblazer, Ex Machina, The Invisibles...maybe astrocity
Ellis's stormwatch and Authority is also on my list, I want to read it all in order too.
Yeah, there's so much old stuff i haven't read which i'm sure will be miles better than what marvel is making now. I'll probably catch up on planet hulk/wwhulk aftter it's all finished.

The only current books i will read as they come out are:

Oh...good idea for a thread.

Let's see......

Marvel---
  • USM - And deservedly so. Any USM issues I read now are single issues that I thumb thru at the bookstore. I cannot give this book any money until it gets considerably better.
  • Punisher: War Journal - Matt Fraction is awesome on some books and not so awesome on others. Him and Brubaker on Iron Fist is awesome. WJ....not so much.
  • Avenger: Initiative - I get what Slott's trying to do....but I just don't care. Plus the art is all wrong for this book....

DC---
  • Green Arrow - Normally I'd say this. But it's ending in a few issues anyways so I'm gonna stick it out. But if it wasn't....it'd be gone.
  • Superman/Action Comics - How sad it that one of the main legends of the DC universe can't get a decent title? And when they did get something good going with Donner......they delayed it to a ****ing ANNUAL! So sad....
  • Supergirl - DC has until the end of this arc to convince me to stay. I've dealt with a lot of crappy issues ever since OYL. And just when they seem to have something....they screw it up. If this arc doesn't do so well...I'm dropping it.
  • JSA - After the JLA crossover is done....I'm dropping this book. I just can't bring myself to care about these second stringers.

Wildstorm---
  • Grifter/Midnighter, WildCATS, Stormwatch and something else but I can't remember what...

Vertigo
  • DMZ - I'm thinking about it. It's really good......but it's a slight bummer to read.

Vertigo
  • DMZ - I'm thinking about it. It's really good......but it's a slight bummer to read.

I know, right? It IS good, but it's just too close to real events to qualify as escapism for me. Not that i shun real world ideas in the comics, of course, it's just this is, well, kind of a bummer.

[*]Superman/Action Comics - How sad it that one of the main legends of the DC universe can't get a decent title? And when they did get something good going with Donner......they delayed it to a ****ing ANNUAL! So sad....
I read the 8 ish OYL arc...so it's not worth reading after that?
[*]JSA - After the JLA crossover is done....I'm dropping this book. I just can't bring myself to care about these second stringers.
[/LIST]
I might do that too..but I never read JSA before IC so I might stick with it a bit.
Wildstorm---
  • Grifter/Midnighter, WildCATS, Stormwatch and something else but I can't remember what...
Gen13?..Wetworks got cancelled

Good list Doom, My codpiece is full of respect.

I should drop a couple of titles. I keep telling myself I should drop Wolverine Origins, but I never end up doing it.

By the way, this is one of the better ideas I've seen for a thread in a while.

Jack of Fables - Just don't care.
Justice League of America - I wouldn't even be reading it now if it wasn't for the JSA crossover. I'd drop it after but I figure theres only 3 more issues with Meltzer, might as well have a full set. But its going to have to be someone mind blowing after him to get me to stay on.
DMZ - Switched to trades. Its a good books but I get a little lost between issues.
Scalped - Same deal.
Punisher War Journal - I keep telling myself I'm going to drop it and then I never do.

Last edited:
I've stopped getting and most likely wont get any more Ultimates and Ultimate X-men

If you're dropping ultimates now...why didn't you drop it 6 months ago...

...you may as well get the last issue. I'm gonna put the 8 page spread on my wall.

No i did. there wasn't a thread then. :lol:

I only got the first Ultimates Tpb and 2-3 UXM ones but won't get more.

No i did. there wasn't a thread then. :lol:

I only got the first Ultimates Tpb and 2-3 UXM ones but won't get more.

I think Ultimates 2 is much better than Ultimates. So far my favourite arc was ultimates vs. Thor..and least fave was the alien invasion...I'm not really big on Nazi bad guys as they always come off far too 1-dimensional, and then i feel bad for sympathising..but then it's like Nazi's were real people, committing atroshious acts and now they're the bad guys in my comic book. I think it can be done well like magneto's history and cap and wolvie in WWII but kinda retconning the holocaust and saying it was aliens I find a bit flippant putting it mildly.

Ah cool.

I was going to get more but desided to stick with one comic series. So I chose my USM. My favourite comic series ever.

I read the 8 ish OYL arc...so it's not worth reading after that?

Not really no. The OYL arc was awesome and I wish the movie was taken from that.

But after that---each comic goes off into it respective arcs. And none of them except Johns/Donner's "Action Comic" is worth it.

Naw. Gen13 is ok so far. Simone has done better.....but it's good ol fashion teenage hero escapism. It's worth a read in TPB....but not monthly.

I'm fairly certain it'll drop off the list here soon.

Latest posts

Back