The Event!

Kal-Ill

I plan on popping some popcorn and heckling this from my couch a la MST3K

If it turns out to be good that would be a bonus, but my hopes and expectations are low.

[video=youtube;ga_rCnueID8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga_rCnueID8[/video]

[video=youtube;o7kSm9cVIjQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7kSm9cVIjQ[/video]

[video=youtube;qu6CQ2rBbuI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu6CQ2rBbuI[/video]

Last edited:
I don't know, the way it's advertise they're hinging everything the show is on the mystery of what is the event. They're building so much hype trying to replicate the buzz Lost gets that if the reveal is stupid or poorly executed the whole show falls apart. This can make a great movie but when you're doing a whole series on that it can just immediately loose staying power. Really it depends on how they handle the characters and situations to see if it can last.

What is most frustrating with the advertising is they are saying what ISN'T the Event, meaning that we're not going to find out what is it is initially. I have even read early reviews that say the pilot doesn't reveal what the Event is. I don't even think die hard Lost fans are ready to plunge into another serialized television show, especially if they've got a better chance of winning the lottery than getting actual answers. My younger brother wants to watch it and I have said to him that I'll watch it only to cut it apart until something is better than it.

I love David Mitchell.

You guys should watch Boardwalk Empire or Terriers instead.

You don't need cable.

Well... ;) I'm waiting to get a new XBox 360 so I can play it on my big screen. Along with The Pacific and Treme.

This was stupid. I think. The plane disappearing at the end was like, "OH, come ON!"

I only caught the last 15-20 minutes. They've been pitching it as "24 meets Lost" and from what I saw, that's EXACTLY what it was. Like, some producers got together and said "24 is hot. Lost is hot. Let's combine the two" and did exactly that, without any thought towards plot or direction or character or story. Just "Let's splice 24 and Lost together".

Is this the new Flashforward?

Yes. And Flashforward was the new Heroes.

All of these shows trying to be the new Lost are missing the point - it's not the big, dumb mystery that made Lost successful, it was the characters. None of these shows have any characters that standout.

I thought it was aliens, too. My younger brother's theory was that they were keeping super powered people locked up in that Alaskan prison. Could even be a combination of both of our theories. Either way, it's splicing Heroes/V/Lost/24/better television shows together.

You guys should watch the new show Lone Star on Fox that's on the same time as this show. It's actually pretty good. First episode was directed by Marc Webb.

All of these shows trying to be the new Lost are missing the point - it's not the big, dumb mystery that made Lost successful, it was the characters. None of these shows have any characters that standout.

Agreed in general, but I think Heroes did. Not as wildly as Lost, but it was doing fine until the second season.

I pretty much can't bring myself to check this out until it lasts a while without getting cancelled. The Firefly Effect, folks.

Don't you go telling me you don't care about Zeljko Ivanek.

Don't you go telling me you don't care about Zeljko Ivanek.

I'm sick of him. He's a boring actor that gets more work than most. It makes me angry to think of the casting directors who are completely devoid of imagination.

I only caught the last 15-20 minutes. They've been pitching it as "24 meets Lost" and from what I saw, that's EXACTLY what it was. Like, some producers got together and said "24 is hot. Lost is hot. Let's combine the two" and did exactly that, without any thought towards plot or direction or character or story. Just "Let's splice 24 and Lost together".

I just saw a commercial that started "If 24 and LOST had a baby..." Honestly NBC? The only way to promote this is to compare it to two popular shows that your channel had nothing to do with?

I just saw a commercial that started "If 24 and LOST had a baby..." Honestly NBC? The only way to promote this is to compare it to two popular shows that your channel had nothing to do with?

Apparently now you can add
Battlestar Galactica
as a third parent to the baby, but at least NBC had a hand in that one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back